Question LG TV using HDMI ARC with Sonos

JAy3001

Established Member
Reaction score
So I have just purchased a Sonos Beam to go with my 2 Play:1s and it all sounds great. However...

Using the HDMI ARC port seems to cause a minor issue, that I cannot stop the sound coming out my Sonos kit.. ever!

To return my sound to my TV speakers I have to select it within my TV settings, which works for about 3 seconds before the sound returns to HDMI ARC.

Now I have spoken with Sonos and they said the TV must be calling for a signal returning the sound back to ARC.

Which of course means I cannot turn the Sonos sound off, which is a bit of pain as I really don't want surround sound 24/7. At low volumes it seems pointless, although nice and it can be enhanced by turning on the enhanced spoken dialogue option.

Still I would like a way to return the sound back to the TV speaker without having to unplug the ARC cable!

So are there any other LG TV owners out there with a Sonos Beam that can test this out and see if it's the same for them please?

My model is: 43UK6300PLB

Another issue seems to be that turning my SkyQ box on no longer turns the TV on, linked to the ARC port being active maybe? Simplink?

Thanks for the reply @NeilH

Which model do you have Neil? Connected devices? Also which sound options do you have? I've attached a pic of mine to compare.

Attachments

• 20180919_165800.jpg
    20180919_165800.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 988
It's a 55B8S. Only connections are the Beam and a Sky box.

The options on Sound menu are the same as yours with the addition of :

- Audio Out (Line out)
- Wired Headphones

These are located immediately below "Device Selection".

Hope this helps.

Thanks Neil.

I've found a workaround by using the optical adapter, this stops the TV from switching back to ARC allowing me to select the TV speakers.

I believe this will only effect Alexa's ability to switch the TV on or off and maybe the volume controls from TV remotes. Not the end of the world especially as I only managed to get Alexa to switch the TV on and off once, afterwards she would say "ok" and blatantly ignore me. :rolleyes:

Anyone else have the issue with HDMI ARC?

I may be late to the party, but I have the same issue. I found a solution by turning HDMI+ off.
I have a new issue, though. Since updating to the latest firmware, my TV speakers don't work when I toggle to them.

Last edited:
it's in the General menu. I think the name is HDMILINK+; I'm not home to look, but it's something like that. Turn that guy off when you don't want to use it, and then on when you do.

If I disable that I get no sound at all.

Still, at least it cured the sync issue. :D

@JAy3001
@AdamsC8

I believe your issue will be resolved by doing the steps below.
Set Up
  • LG C1 OLED 4K HDTV (2021)
    • WebOS Version: 6.0
  • SONOS Arc Sound Bar
    • TV Connection: HDMI/eARC
I hope the guidance below helps you to resolve your issue.

===
Disabling Sound Output to your SONOS Arc Sound Bar
From your LG TV settings…
  1. DISABLE HDMI-CEC (also known as SIMPLINK) switch.
    When enabled your LG TV will AUTOMATICALLY switch to any connected HDMI device when detected. This is how HDMI devices, such as Apple TV and other streaming devices, gaming consoles will automatically turn on a connected TV and switch to the proper HDMI input.
    See Image 1

Understanding this is key, since the SONOS Arc cannot be turned off and thus is ALWAYS detected by your LG TV and switches sound output BACK to the Sonos Arc after you've
    switched the sound output to the TV's internal speakers.

When Sonos Arc is not in use, it will go into low power mode – think of this like sleep mode on a laptop, game console, or cable box.

2. If available in your TV settings, DISABLE eARC Support switch.
    This setting switch, coupled with the HDMI/CEC (SIMPLINK) seems to automatically switch to any HDMI connected device automatically. If you want to enable sound output through your TV internal speakers, disabling HDMI/CEC (also known as SIMPLINK) AND disable eARC Support (if available) will allow you to do so.
    See Image 2
You should now be able to specify and retain sound to play through your TV speakers.

Note: You could still use your Sonos Arc as a speaker for music playback from your smart phone or other bluetooth devices.

===
Enabling Sound Output to your SONOS Arc Sound Bar
From your LG TV settings…
  1. ENABLE HDMI-CEC (also known as SIMPLINK) switch.
    When enabled it will AUTOMATICALLY switch to connected HDMI devices when detected. In this case, your TV will detect the Sonos Arc sound bar which will be in low power/sleep mode.
  2. If desired, you can then enable eARC Support, which should provide additional enhanced sound frequencies for use by your SONOS Arc.
Quickly Accessing HDMI-CEC (also known as SIMPLINK) switch in webOS 6
In LG C1 OLED TV models (2021), users can customize their settings bar to include quick links to certain settings.

The HDMI/CEC (also known as SIMPLINK) switch is one of these settings that can be added to the settings bar, allowing you to quickly enable or disable HDMI/CEC.

If possible in your LG TVs settings, I'd suggest you modify your settings menu to allow you to quickly access the SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) setting to allow you to enable/disable this setting.
See Image 3

===
Image 1 - HDMI Settings: SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC)
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 11.16.32 PM.png

Image 2 - Sound: Advanced Settings: eARC Support
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 11.29.26 PM.png

Image 3 - Settings Menu: Customized Settings Menu to include SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC)

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 11.23.11 PM.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom