jsr22788

Novice Member
Hi all, looking for the help to see if it is possible to use an existing Sky dish as an aerial for the built-in Freeview in my LG43UN74006LB. The dish worked with a sky box a couple of years ago, but we no longer have this box or subscription. Different places online say this is an isn't possible. I've tried both sockets in the back of the TV and apart from getting it to tune in some non UK channel once I've not had any luck. Any advice greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance

Last edited:

Vin Blanc

Hi all, looking for the help to see if it is possible to use an existing Sky dish as an aerial for the built-in Freeview in my LG43UN74006LB. The dish worked with a sky box a couple of years ago, but we no longer have this box or subscription. Different places online say this is an isn't possible. I've tried both sockets in the back of the TV and apart from getting it to tune in some non UK channel once I've not had any luck. Any advice grelty appreciated, and thanks in advance
Freeview is terrestrial. You need an aerial (long thing with sticky-out bits) to receive it!

Vin Blanc

jsr22788

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply. I'm showing my naivety here, but the box says it has Freesat HD built in, if that makes a difference?

Vin Blanc

Sky dish as an aerial for the built-in Freeview
Dishes for Freesat (satellite).

Aerials for Freeview (terrestrial.

Vin Blanc

If your LG 43UN74006LB offers a DVB-S/S2 satellite tuner (which I think it does), you could connect the coaxial cable from your Sky dish and perform a 'Freesat' scan.

The differences between the 'terrestrial' (DVB-T/T2) 'coax/Belling-Lee' connector and 'satellite' (DVB-S/S2) 'F-connector' are in the image below: -
Male-or-female-coax-and-F-connectors-600W-L5.jpg

Cheers

jsr22788

Novice Member
In that case I think I mean-; can I use a dish that previously worked for Sky, to tune in FreeSat on my LG TV?

jsr22788

Novice Member
If your LG 43UN74006LB offers a DVB-S/S2 satellite tuner (which I think it does), you could connect the coaxial cable from your Sky dish and perform a 'Freesat' scan.

The differences between the 'terrestrial' (DVB-T/T2) 'coax/Belling-Lee' connector and 'satellite' (DVB-S/S2) 'F-connector' are in the image below: -
Male-or-female-coax-and-F-connectors-600W-L5.jpg

Cheers
The connections at the TV and wall match those on the right. I've re-tuned and it finds 145 channels but I get a 'no signal' message when trying to watch. The cable I'm using is a standard ariel cable (left of picture above) with adapters on either end, so I'm not sure if that would cause it to find the channels but not display picture?

ZipBuiltIn

The connections at the TV and wall match those on the right. I've re-tuned and it finds 145 channels but I get a 'no signal' message when trying to watch.
Did you have Sky Q by any chance? If so, your Sky disk would have been fitted with a wideband LNB instead of the more traditional 'universal' LNB...

jsr22788

Novice Member
Did you have Sky Q by any chance? If so, your Sky disk would have been fitted with a wideband LNB instead of the more traditional 'universal' LNB...
I changed the LNB with one simmilar to what was.posted above and how have Freesat in the lounge! Thanks to you all for your help!

chenks

In that case I think I mean-; can I use a dish that previously worked for Sky, to tune in FreeSat on my LG TV?

it depends.
if you have old sky (ie not Sky Q) then almost certainly yes.
if you had Sky Q then almost certainly no as Sky Q uses a different LNB on the dish.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom