LG TV: request Airplay for 2017 models

Beachcomber31

Standard Member
Hi, this information is for anyone who has an LG TV which currently lacks the Airplay 2 app for screen mirroring a display from a Mac or iPhone to an LG TV set. Many like to use it for streaming videos but it's also very useful for reading the books in your Apple library. You may have seen that LG has recently rolled out this Airplay app to all their 2018 and 2019 models. I can confirm that as It has suddenly appeared on my 2018 LG set. I understand that current LG models come with it installed. I contacted LG Customer Services to find out when it would appear on my 2017 model OLED 55B7V - for which I paid a pretty penny. The lady said that there were currently no plans to roll out Airplay to 2017 models. However her job was to interface with LG customers and pass on their views and requests to the development side of LG where they make decisions on such matters. She calls this a VOC - it probably stands for 'voice of customer'. She will forward any evidence of demand. So I respectfully ask that, if you see the value of adding the Airplay feature to your LG TV, you get in touch with this lady as soon as possible. Her name is Becca and she can be contacted on this email address: [email protected]. Then cross your fingers.

chenks

one should base any purchase on what it can do at the point you buy it and not place any hope or expectation of it ever getting any new features (other than security and/or bug fixes).

i think asking for any new features to be added to a 4 year old TV is stretching any expection by quite a bit, regardless of the price paid for it.

Beachcomber31

Standard Member
one should base any purchase on what it can do at the point you buy it and not place any hope or expectation of it ever getting any new features (other than security and/or bug fixes).

i think asking for any new features to be added to a 4 year old TV is stretching any expection by quite a bit, regardless of the price paid for it.
On a point of fact my TV is a little over three years old. Please remember LG also stands to gain from customer satisfaction and reputation. Otherwise why did they retrofit their 2018 and 2019 sets? Thanks for your view but it sounds a little masochistic to me. Finally, my approach to LG was a request not an expectation.

chenks

2018 and 2019 models may have got it simply due the hardware being compatible.
2017 model may use older hardware that eiither doesn't support it or would run poorly.

also, any manufacturer has to build in an incentive to upgrade.
a 2017 model would be, by most with common sense, be considered as "end of life" in terms of new features being added.

the original point remains valid though, but something based on what it can do when you purchase it, not what it might get in the future - you will never be disappointed if you live by that rule.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom