1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG TV power supply

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kitbit, Oct 27, 2005.

1. kitbit

kitbit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a LG RI-28CZ10RX that I bought two and half years ago. It had a problem with the degauss? within the warranty period which was fixed. On Saturday it just switched itself off and smelt of burning.

The TV engineer said it was the power supply within the TV and would cost over £100 to repair. Argos, where I bought it say its not their problem cos its wear and tear, not a manufacturing fault.

How does a power supply get worn out after only this long? Are LG just rubbish? Is it worth pursuing Argos further?

Thanks

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Do a search for "sale of goods act"

Your warranty is with the retailer, 12 months, but after that you should expect the goods to be of reasonable quality.

I have known people to get their TVs repaired free of charge after 2 yrs, but I have also known people to complain after 2 yrs and almost told get lost.
    It depends on how you complain and who to, and how they want to rate their own customer service.

I have no experience of LG, but they are a large manufacturer/Argos.

Was the TV costly, or a "bingo win" ;-)

Nigel

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    I would get a second quote if I was you...that seems a wee bit excessive to me.

It's not "worn out" as such but a component or two will have failed...why does a light bulb blow?...just bad luck I'm afraid...it happens...even up-market sets like Sony and Panasonics also break down just out of (and in) the guarantee period.