Quantcast

LG TV Freeview Play

Faust

I realise lots of you probably have Sky or BT TV so use the Sky or Youview EPG for seeing what is on TV and setting your PVR's.

However, if anyone else uses the Freeview Play EPG on their LG TV how do you find it? Having just purchased an LG TV 49SJ800V (which I am delighted with) my only disappointment is the slowness of the EPG. Not slow in use but slow to load.

My understanding is Freeview Play is baked into WebOS on the LG TVs, yet it opens just like a separate app. Certainly when I select 'guide' on my LG, it starts with a green splash screen complete with approximately 3 to 5 second delay (seems like an eternity when you are waiting) before the EPG loads and is visible.

I have had Sky and the EPG is instant, I have BT TV and the EPG is instant. The same applies to my Humax Freesat box, again instant EPG, LG Freeview Play not instant.

I'm just not liking the LG WebOS Freeview Play implementation.

Faust

Just found another issue with Freeview Play and confirmed by LG tech support. Scroll back is currently not working. LG don't know if everyone is affected or just certain models. When I contacted customer support to inform them my TV cannot scroll back through the EPG, they told me customers have been phoning in all day about this issue.

When I try to use it I get a message that I need to be connected to the Internet - which the TV is and on a fast connection.

The faults currently being investigated.

rborhara

I would love freeview play if it just worked off the internet and no need for a tv aerial so I can record 2 channels on my sky box and watch a 3rd by means of freeview play

Faust

Well if LG could just get it to work it might be a start.

I'm surprised no one else has commented about the fact scroll back isn't working.

mineisapint

Standard Member
It's not working for me, same problem freeview play says it needs an internet connection despite all the individual apps working just fine off the wired connection.

Faust

It's not working for me, same problem freeview play says it needs an internet connection despite all the individual apps working just fine off the wired connection.
Mine has been fixed now and from what I have been told by LG for most other owners too. Mind you they have introduced a further bug in fixing this one. The EPG channels have now lost their coloured brand idents. Just grey and white in the main now.

Check you have the latest update and rescan your channels. You then need to click on the Freeview Play icon in the EPG. That is the first round icon in the horizontal list next to the word FreeviewPlay at the top right of the EPG. Don't give up at the first attempt.

P.S. check out this thread - lots more info there. ALL SJ 2017 MODELS OWNERS CHAT, REVIEWS AND BEST PICTURE SETTINGS ECT ....

gordym

Novice Member
Sunday Jan 21st . My LG 43UJJ635V 5weeks old is still not giving me scroll back function spent over 1hr with LG doing 2 factory resets (so then I have to reset all my settings). It is obvious that tech know about the problem but nothing said to me. So it now will go back to J Lewis. Maybe that is why they do not tell me there is something wrong so I do not return a faulty product.
Hope you all get a satisfactory resolve.
Gordon

Faust

Sunday Jan 21st . My LG 43UJJ635V 5weeks old is still not giving me scroll back function spent over 1hr with LG doing 2 factory resets (so then I have to reset all my settings). It is obvious that tech know about the problem but nothing said to me. So it now will go back to J Lewis. Maybe that is why they do not tell me there is something wrong so I do not return a faulty product.
Hope you all get a satisfactory resolve.
Gordon
Sorry to hear of your problems gordym. It does appear to be very hit and miss as mine wasn't initially working but is now. The fault doesn't lie with the TV but with the servers, either those which belong to LG or Freeview. The fault looks to have been resolved for the SJ series but it looks as though they are still working on the fault for the UJ series.

I would be inclined to give LG a few more days to see if they can resolve this. It took them around a month to sort out the issue with the SJ models.

gordym

Novice Member
Faust, thank you.I have spoken with Freeview and they say they have nothing to do with servers that give scroll back. As for LG it is obvious that they know of a problem and it IS their problem and as such because of the underhanded way they have kept info from me I will have J Lewis swap it for a Samsung, they have agreed that I am not getting what I paid for.
Once again I hope all others get a satisfactory resolve.

Faust

Faust, thank you.I have spoken with Freeview and they say they have nothing to do with servers that give scroll back. As for LG it is obvious that they know of a problem and it IS their problem and as such because of the underhanded way they have kept info from me I will have J Lewis swap it for a Samsung, they have agreed that I am not getting what I paid for.
Once again I hope all others get a satisfactory resolve.
Before you change it just check in settings and make sure Hbbtv is switched on. If not switch it on and try again.

simon194

My understanding is Freeview Play is baked into WebOS on the LG TVs, yet it opens just like a separate app. Certainly when I select 'guide' on my LG, it starts with a green splash screen complete with approximately 3 to 5 second delay (seems like an eternity when you are waiting) before the EPG loads and is visible.
Everything in WebOS is an app, it comes from it originally being a tablet OS that LG bought off Hewlett Packard. The trick is to leave Freeview Play loaded in memory then it starts up almost instantaneously.

Instead of closing it using the 'X', just select a one of the channels apps, Live TV, HDMI1 etc. It will then remain in memory unless another app requires memory.

You can do the same with Netflix and Amazon Prime if you use those.

Faust

Everything in WebOS is an app, it comes from it originally being a tablet OS that LG bought off Hewlett Packard. The trick is to leave Freeview Play loaded in memory then it starts up almost instantaneously.

Instead of closing it using the 'X', just select a one of the channels apps, Live TV, HDMI1 etc. It will then remain in memory unless another app requires memory.

You can do the same with Netflix and Amazon Prime if you use those.
Hi Simon. Yes, I actually found this out by accident a few days ago. I note though if I change from an HDMI connection back to Live TV or vice-versa then the app reverts back to the slow splash screen load up.

pantages

My Freeview Play won't scroll back as stated by other members above. My tv is LG OLED B6. In fact the programme guide is a pain to use and I am resorting to use either my BT YouView Freeview stb or my Humax Freesat stb.

Faust

My Freeview Play won't scroll back as stated by other members above. My tv is LG OLED B6. In fact the programme guide is a pain to use and I am resorting to use either my BT YouView Freeview stb or my Humax Freesat stb.
Mine didn't work when I first purchased it, then it started to work after complaints to LG, then stopped again earlier this week following a channel update. It's now working again after further complaint to LG.

However, there's definitely a bug in the system as each time it starts to work the coloured channel thumbnails in the EPG disappear to be replaced by monochrome. When the scroll back stops working the coloured EPG thumbnails reappear.

devbias

Yeah +1 to the scroll back option in the epg disappears after channel map update but tried everything to get it back but no joy

css_jay99

I just bought the UH850v ....

Please I have a couple of questions regarding FreeviewPlay.

1) FreeviewPlay setup shows 3 connection options i.e. aerial, cable & satellite. I thought Freeview was only available on aerial ..... can I connect to Satellite cable or it has to be Aerial connection?

2) I have an aerial hanging in the loft from about 10yrs ago which was not used due to using sky dish. Will this have digital reception?.... I need to get coax cable from the shops ....

Thanks

NNH

Novice Member
I recently purchased an LG 32" TV with Freeview Play (LG 32LK6100), but the scroll-back over the past week's programmes won't work. After a number of exchanges with LG technical support, they've told me it doesn't work because my broadband speed is too slow. I have 7Mbps download and 1Mbps upload, and they say I need 10-15Mbps and 5Mbps. I'd believe this, but the services that feed into Freeview Play, such as BBC iPlayer, work perfectly, including the programme guides, and then streaming the selected programmes. Am I being given correct information?

jole26

Everything in WebOS is an app, it comes from it originally being a tablet OS that LG bought off Hewlett Packard.
WebOS actually started out as a mobile phone OS created by Palm in 2009 (by 2 guys that used to work for Apple and worked on the very first version of the iPhone).

I work in the industry and was part of that first launch. The Palm Pre was a very nice little smartphone.

eddersedders

Novice Member
Not sure if anyone can help?
I've just bought a new LG 43UK6300PLB and have taken the Satellite feed (connected to the communal antenna) and I'm getting all the HD channels on Freeview along with SD but as soon as I hit the guide button and the guide shows up the Mini TV function turns off, the audio turns off and I get a message saying 'Preview is not available on this programme. Please go back to Live TV screen and change the programme'. Where the Mini TV should be I get a picture of an antenna saying 'Download Programme Information'

Weirdly if I scroll up to the sort and filter button (top right and signalled with the yellow button) and toggle it between Antenna (not connected) and then back to Satellite the Mini TV option then works fine. This makes me believe that it does work fine but it's not engaging?

My TV is also connected to fibre broadband so any guide information or anything in need for the internet is working fine.

Surely every time I open guide I don't have to sit in a silent room flicking through the channels do I?

Any help would be appreciated :)

laser

Has the Freeview Play back function stopped working again today.

It was ok yesterday but has packed up on on the B7V Oled and the 42 inch LG lcd.

It very annoying. No idea if it's a Freeview or a lg issue but it's affecting two different lg TVs.

Anthonyplace

Standard Member
I have a oled 55b7v and Freeview play has been unreliable for a while now it’s not working at all it brings up a dialogue box that says you need to be connected to the Internet but it is connected to fast Internet and all the apps work the problem is exactly as described at the beginning of this forum

Faust

I have a oled 55b7v and Freeview play has been unreliable for a while now it’s not working at all it brings up a dialogue box that says you need to be connected to the Internet but it is connected to fast Internet and all the apps work the problem is exactly as described at the beginning of this forum
I've had my SJ49800V almost a year now and the Freeview Play back function has been 'flaky' for most of the time I have owned it. Some days it's fine other days it's a right pain.

laser

It's not been working on my B7V since Thursday. It's Sunday now and still not working.

When it stops working, it stops on two different LG TV's, the Oled and a LCD.

What would be interesting is too check whether a different manufactures tv also stops working when the LG TV's Freeview play goes off. Wed then know if the issue is LG related or Freeview related.