LG TV connection to LG Home Theater

AdrianPC

Standard Member
Reaction score
HI All

I have a LGTV model 50LA 6230 and a DVD Home theater Model. HT406TQ. I was wondering if I could listen to the sound from the tv through the external speakers rather than the TV built in speakers?

This is the connection behind the TV

1586152556708.png

This is the connection behind the home theatre

1586152794798.png

Thanks.

Adrian

It would appear that your LG Home Theater only offers one (stereo) 'AUX (L/R) INPUT' audio connection. So unless your LG 50LA6230 TV offers a headphone output port, it's going to be pretty difficult to connect the two devices together easily...

And you wont get genuine surround sound, only matrixed.

It would appear that your LG Home Theater only offers one (stereo) 'AUX (L/R) INPUT' audio connection. So unless your LG 50LA6230 TV offers a headphone output port, it's going to be pretty difficult to connect the two devices together easily...

And you wont get genuine surround sound, only matrixed.
Thanks.

1586170480171.png

You need a optical to analogue (DAC - Digital to Analogue) converter and a cable to connect to a amp input. The picture of the rear is too small to check what inputs it has so without this can't link to a suitable cable.

It looks as if it only has outputs.

You need a new amplifier. Most any cheap stereo amplifier and speakers will do. Or a Bluetooth transmitter and a pair of bluetooth speakers.

Cheapest I can find

Look for a cheap used one with speakers on e-bay. Most will sound superior to the TV speakers

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi again @AdrianPC,

So it looks like your TV has a 3.5mm diameter headphone output. Which means if you get hold of a '3.5mm Male to 2x RCA Male Jack Stereo Audio Adapter Cable', such as this: -

51Lk846xrfL._AC_SL1088_.jpg

...you can connect both of your devices together...

You need a optical to analogue (DAC - Digital to Analogue) converter and a cable to connect to a amp input. The picture of the rear is too small to check what inputs it has so without this can't link to a suitable cable

The OP's pic shows His Home Theater does have an RCA Phono Aux input (item 5 in his diagram) which as SeeMoreDigital states will take the headphone output from the TV's headphone socket and give him stereo.

The OP's pic shows His Home Theater does have an RCA Phono Aux input (item 5 in his diagram) which as SeeMoreDigital states will take the headphone output from the TV's headphone socket and give him stereo.

Hi all

1586223809109.png

What you mentioned TV's headphone socket , do you mean ' H/P out '?

Thanks you everyone.

Regards
Adrian

Yes, “H/P Out” is the headphone socket so the 3.5mm stereo minijack plug into there and the other end with the RCA Phono plugs into the Aux input on your amp and you’re good to go.

Yes, “H/P Out” is the headphone socket so the 3.5mm stereo minijack plug into there and the other end with the RCA Phono plugs into the Aux input on your amp and you’re good to go.

On most TV's plugging something into the headphone out mutes the TV speakers. That's why there is a toslink output. The DAC may be used to connect to the red/white audio in on the TV.

On most TV's plugging something into the headphone out mutes the TV speakers. That's why there is a toslink output. The DAC may be used to connect to the red/white audio in on the TV.
The OP has stated the following: "I was wondering if I could listen to the sound from the tv through the external speakers rather than the TV built in speakers?"...

The OP has stated the following: "I was wondering if I could listen to the sound from the tv through the external speakers rather than the TV built in speakers?"...

Still think the DAC is the preferred option . The headphone output is too high for line level inputs and the wrong impedance for the line level inputs on the amp. The DAC will produce a 75 ohm fixed level matched impedance to the amp stereo audio inputs.

Last edited:
On most TV's plugging something into the headphone out mutes the TV speakers. That's why there is a toslink output. The DAC may be used to connect to the red/white audio in on the TV

I'm well aware of that but please read post #10 and the DAC needs to be plugged into the Aux red/white audio in on the OP's amp...not the TV.

Last edited:
Still think the DAC is the preferred option . The headphone output is too high for line level inputs

The DAC and optical lead is an extra cost to the PM (although he may not mind this).
The headphone Output level can be adjusted by the TV's remote.

Hi All

I used the cable below and didnt work. Do I need the 2x male RCA cables instead of the 3x RCA?

1586824241820.png

Thanks

AdrianC

Yes, 3.5mm stereo mini jack to 2 RCA is what you need.

Thank you everyone for you recommendations. Now I can hear the sound from my tv through my home system using the 3.5mm stereo mini jack to 2 RCA .

Nice one... And thanks for reporting back ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom