LG tv cannot play titles recorded on DMR-PWT550

boaterjames

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
new to this forum and living on a boat.
i have an LG 49UJ630V linked to my home wifi network an also a DMR-PWT550 recorder. I can access a list of all programmes i've recorded on the DMR and can play them on the LG. BUT..... If i stop a programme part way through, the next time i try and play it, i get the message 'the file cannot be recognised. do you want to play the next file?'. if i play a programme through to the end i can replay it without issue. any ideas folks? (thanks)

How is the PVR connected to the TV? HDMI?

they're connected via wifi. no cables.
no connections issues. if i watch a recorded programme to the end, i can watch it again. if i pause or stop watching before the end, next time i go to watch that programme, i get the error message.

Probably a DLNA server problem.

The LG tries to remember the time at the point the video was stopped and would offer to resume from that time point on a second play. But because of compatibility issues instead you get the error message.

DLNA is not raw access to the file its actually a database that sits between the media and clients so the LG can remember when it played that last video and offer to resume.

When you dont pause/stop the file plays through normally so there is no issue as the LG knows to start the video from the beginning.

That's my best guess and if that's true then I'm unsure what you can do to fix it. Your TV is no longer supported by LG but you could try checking for a firmware update, maybe the fixed it, same goes for Panasonic.

I've known in the past Panasonic used to apply DRM to their recordings, is that still the case, can any other device like your PC running Kodi play the media from the Panasonic server ? if no then the TV is the only way to play that media.

Probably a DLNA server problem.

The LG tries to remember the time at the point the video was stopped and would offer to resume from that time point on a second play. But because of compatibility issues instead you get the error message.

DLNA is not raw access to the file its actually a database that sits between the media and clients so the LG can remember when it played that last video and offer to resume.

When you dont pause/stop the file plays through normally so there is no issue as the LG knows to start the video from the beginning.

That's my best guess and if that's true then I'm unsure what you can do to fix it. Your TV is no longer supported by LG but you could try checking for a firmware update, maybe the fixed it, same goes for Panasonic.

I've known in the past Panasonic used to apply DRM to their recordings, is that still the case, can any other device like your PC running Kodi play the media from the Panasonic server ? if no then the TV is the only way to play that media.
that sounds reasonable. do you know any way of 'flushing' the DLNA database so it doesn't realise its been stopped mid play?
if not, i guess its either live with it or get a new TV. (they seem to go unsupported so quickly there days...)

that sounds reasonable. do you know any way of 'flushing' the DLNA database so it doesn't realise its been stopped mid play?
if not, i guess its either live with it or get a new TV. (they seem to go unsupported so quickly there days...)

There is no easy way to flush the database as both of these devices are completely closed.

A factory reset would probably do it but that is not practical and the problem will persist because the software on both is not 100% compatible.

There are DRM free TV recorders I think that would be a better investment as the Panasonic will always be limited given the DRM it applies to its recordings.

For example I have one of these, it can record to USB HDD and after installing the miniDLNA server from the network utilities menu it will auto share any recordings. These are a bit more technical to set up, if there are easier options out there the Freeview forum might know better.

I also tested it with my LG B7 which runs the same version of WebOS you have and it works fine, the video play resumes from the correct time point.

There is no easy way to flush the database as both of these devices are completely closed.

A factory reset would probably do it but that is not practical and the problem will persist because the software on both is not 100% compatible.

There are DRM free TV recorders I think that would be a better investment as the Panasonic will always be limited given the DRM it applies to its recordings.

For example I have one of these, it can record to USB HDD and after installing the miniDLNA server from the network utilities menu it will auto share any recordings. These are a bit more technical to set up, if there are easier options out there the Freeview forum might know better.

I also tested it with my LG B7 which runs the same version of WebOS you have and it works fine, the video play resumes from the correct time point.
Thanks for that. think i might go shopping :) .
are there any limitations to the USB HDD you can attach. (i'm thinking 1Tb as i record a lot of stuff). and would you recommend an SSD or a mechanical HDD?
can it access 'freeview catch up, netflix, amazon prime, etc
does it allow copying of recordings to another device? my existing DMR-PWT550 doesn't, so all the recordings on the HDD will be lost when i stop using it.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that. think i might go shopping :) .
are there any limitations to the USB HDD you can attach. (i'm thinking 1Tb as i record a lot of stuff). and would you recommend an SSD or a mechanical HDD?
can it access 'freeview catch up, netflix, amazon prime, etc
does it allow copying of recordings to another device? my existing DMR-PWT550 doesn't, so all the recordings on the HDD will be lost when i stop using it.
Thanks in advance.

1. no limits to USB.
2. doesn't make difference, I use a 2.5" HDD
3. no the stock firmware is based off open source software OpenATV, but your LG TV should have those apps.
4. yes though the drive will be formatted as ETX4 a linux file system.

So if wanting to copy the files via USB you would need a PC running linux or Raspberry Pi running its OS would also be able to read the files.

You don't need to copy via USB though, you can also set up Samba or FTP network access to the box and just access the files over the network and copy them that way to your Windows PC.

The stock firmware is based off OpenATV but you can tell the sellers site to flash something else, I use OpenVIX for example, both are quite similar to one another but OpenVIX is more English orientated, OpenATV seems to be more German.

OpenVIX can be a bit daunting at first as it offers a million settings but you can change just about eveything to your liking if you put in the time.

Lastly you do need the USB WiFi dongle as ethernet is only present on that box, it has two USB ports so one is free for the USB HDD.

1. no limits to USB.
2. doesn't make difference, I use a 2.5" HDD
3. no the stock firmware is based off open source software OpenATV, but your LG TV should have those apps.
4. yes though the drive will be formatted as ETX4 a linux file system.

So if wanting to copy the files via USB you would need a PC running linux or Raspberry Pi running its OS would also be able to read the files.

You don't need to copy via USB though, you can also set up Samba or FTP network access to the box and just access the files over the network and copy them that way to your Windows PC.

The stock firmware is based off OpenATV but you can tell the sellers site to flash something else, I use OpenVIX for example, both are quite similar to one another but OpenVIX is more English orientated, OpenATV seems to be more German.

OpenVIX can be a bit daunting at first as it offers a million settings but you can change just about eveything to your liking if you put in the time.

Lastly you do need the USB WiFi dongle as ethernet is only present on that box, it has two USB ports so one is free for the USB HDD.
thanks for all your help.
i'll give it a go.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom