LG TV can use a Floppy Drive and original Macintosh Keyboard and Mouse!

DarkDisplacer

They'll be connected to a port converter. USB, obviously. The TV is doing nothing special. The device will convert the floppy to look like a USB Mass Storage Device and convert the old mouse and keyboard to a USB Pointing Device and a USB HID Keyboard Device.

Basically allowing them to work on anything that accepts a memory stick and USB keyboard/mouse.

Not to suck the fun out of things, but it's the converter that deserves the wow, not the TV.

Napabar

Novice Member
They'll be connected to a port converter. USB, obviously. The TV is doing nothing special. The device will convert the floppy to look like a USB Mass Storage Device and convert the old mouse and keyboard to a USB Pointing Device and a USB HID Keyboard Device.

Basically allowing them to work on anything that accepts a memory stick and USB keyboard/mouse.

Not to suck the fun out of things, but it's the converter that deserves the wow, not the TV.
Yes, this is all well known. However, the perception is it's the TV. Also, you don't title a video "Port converter uses floppy drive". Debbie downer......

SeeMoreDigital

Agreed... You can connect just about any old USB device into these newer webOS LG televisions and they'll be detected.

Indeed, not so long ago I found some old compact flash, smart media and Fuji xD memory cards along with an ancient card reader (that originally came with software on a floppy disk). Anyway I plugged it into the back of the LG and it sparked into life without any issues at all ;)

Napabar

Novice Member
Agreed... You can connect just about any old USB device into these newer webOS LG televisions and they'll be detected.

Indeed, not so long ago I found some old compact flash, smart media and Fuji xD memory cards along with an ancient card reader (that originally came with software on a floppy disk). Anyway I plugged it into the back of the LG and it sparked into life without any issues at all ;)
The LG TVs are they best at this. Some people say "Of course it's going to work, it's USB Mass Storage." But not everything works. For instance, my Sony Blu-Ray players work with Flash Drives, and even a Palm Life Drive, but they reject using Floppies. I'm doing a whole set of experiments on YouTube with iOS 13's new external storage feature. Zip Drives work, but not Floppy Drives. An Amazon Kindle works, but not optical media.

What really impresses me about the LG TVs is that EVERYTHING I've thrown at it works!

next010

Distinguished Member
USB storage drivers have a number of sub classes so a manufacture can choose to omit these if they don't want to support something.

WebOS storied history starting life as Plam's failed attempt to stay relevant in the face of smartphones likely gives it a legacy of supporting things other AV vendors would never have bothered with if LG had created it themselves.

Most AV devices these days are all linux based (including WebOS) just with different restrictions applied.

Napabar

Novice Member
USB storage drivers have a number of sub classes so a manufacture can choose to omit these if they don't want to support something.

WebOS storied history starting life as Plam's failed attempt to stay relevant in the face of smartphones likely gives it a legacy of supporting things other AV vendors would never have bothered with if LG had created it themselves.

Most AV devices these days are all linux based (including WebOS) just with different restrictions applied.
So the reason why the Zip drive works on the iPhone when the floppy drive doesn't, is that it's using the ARMD sub class, and not the UFI one.

Trending threads

Top Bottom