LG TV Buyers Guide

Very good guide!
But what it's unclear for me is where I can find on LG's site the firmware updates for LCD TV's? I find updates for things like DVD units, but not for TV's. Is it required that I register myself as an user on LG's site? Is it a problem maybe on some countries on LG's site?
10x for any info!

To be honest I'm not sure where to get firmware updates from, I'm not sure if LG supply them on the site, but all the links I've ever followed have gone to foreign sites (often Polish)

To be honest I'm not sure where to get firmware updates from, I'm not sure if LG supply them on the site, but all the links I've ever followed have gone to foreign sites (often Polish)

Thank you for the fast reply! :clap:

Hi there

I have just read your guide, well done it was very good.

I have just bought the LG50PS300 and LG BD370 blu ray player.

The quality of the tv picture on sd and hd is outstanding a massive step up from my 3 yr old 42 hitachi plasma, the sound quality is also very good, considering it has been slated a bit to other models I did not expect to much.

I was going to buy the pq6000 but did not like how it looked the frame looked to big at the bottom.
I would like to know how i could calibrate the tv, are there some links to free downloads you could recomend.

Once again thanks and well done:)

Nice guide but you have not mentioned much about the LED Tvs from LG that some users are debate if its good to buy or not, advantages and disadvantages of such technology etc. Many thanks if you can update guide, sorry for noob reply

Glad you like it, I did write a brief bit on the LED LCD TVs, but there's not much to put

LG have also released an ‘LED TV', this uses LED's mounted around the edge of the
screen to light the picture as opposed to using a traditional LCD backlight. LED TVs
are a branch of LCD TVs and largely experience the same strong points and short
falls, however, LED edge lighting is designed to give better black levels, as well as
increasing energy efficiency, and allowing super slim design (29.3mm in the SL9000)

It's very much the same as the standard CCFL LCD technology, just with slimmer design. I haven't yet seen one outside of IFA and am waiting for the AVF review and a few more users to comment in a bit more detail.

Monarch,

you've been an absolute legend in 2009 and please keep up your superb help and support in 2010!! This forum would not be the same without your active participation.

Big thank you!

George

i am looking into buying a plasma

i am impressed that the LG 42PQ3000 is a 600hrtz picture..

i bought the first philips wide screen 100hrts 20 years ago for £1500.00 and it has finally gone to the big front room in he sky..

i was looking at the LG, i have a HD projector that fires a lovely picture onto 6ft screen..

this Tv will be used for watching kids programmes, for a wife who is happy watching a 14" colour saisho tv, and for my older kids who want to use a WII,

i just want to watch some films rather keep using the projector all the time thus using bulb life..

Will this Tv suite my needs?

I have a SKy HD, and I have a panasonic blue ray BDP80 player..

I know in currys their muppetts wont know much about the tvs so i thought i would ask here first..

Matt

The 600Hz isn't quite the same as the 100Hz you would have had in the old phillips (the LG is 100Hz as well, to confuse things!), although it is probably a little more advanced technically, it's a pretty standard plasma feature these days.

Anyway, with the kids programmes and wii you might find a few issues with image retention if there are static images on screen for long periods (which kids channels and games often have), so that's worth considering. Generally you can get away with 3-4 hours per session depending on the brightness of the image, but you need to have mixed viewing to try and reduce problems over longer term.

It would suit your needs if static images wont be on screen too much, otherwise an LCD might be more appropriate, the LH3000 would probably be plenty.

great thanks Monarch.

One question, these tv's are sold on the premise of they are 600hrtz, which is as close to LED quality as is possible, you are saying they are NOT 600htz but in reality 100htz, or did i mis understand what you wrote..

Static images wont be a problem, apart from when watching the Sky channels you have each channels logo in the corner..

Is LCd btter than plasma ? as i have heard plasma dont last as long,

Matt

They are 600Hz, but it's a subfield drive, it's not quite the same thing, either way it's incredible complicated! The 100Hz is different as well, as I explain in the guide, with the plasma use being much simpler and simply doubling frames to reduce flicker, and the LCD/LED use which aims to get to the same level as plasma in motion resolution, which comes with side effects.

And even if the TV did refresh at 600Hz there's no reason to say that it's as near to LED quality as possible, it's just a slightly different way of displaying the image, flickering (faster than can be seen) as opposed to holding the image all the time (which actually leads to a lot of the motion problems with LCD and LED TVs).

Plasma vs LCD is a big debate and depends on viewing conditions, material and of course personal preference, there's a big section of the various LCD and plasma pros and cons in the guide so give that a read.

Thinking of buying this.is it a good telly as I dont have a clue,the main thing attracting me to it is the price.It's on offer now for 449.oo LG 42LG5020
42 inch LCD TV 1080p...cheers :hiya::hiya:

Why does the 50PS3000 appear in the list at the bottom and then get removed when I select SkyHD as my primary source?

I assume you mean in the official guide released by LG (not this one), in which case it's just the way it'll process the best way, plasmas largely handle SD better than LCDs, the difference between SD and HD is larger on an LCD and the picture on an LCD is normally perceived as being sharper, so if you watch a lot of HD then you'll lose the poorer SD quality that some people experience. The PS3000 still handles HD very well though, it's just that they can't put all of them all up as recommended choices.

i'm looking forward to the 2010 version?!!?!?...... fingers crossed you'll find the time to write another one. a 'must read' for every prospective LG owner!! :thumbsup:

A new one will be on the way once the new models are released, being stuttered releases I'll either have to update it bit by bit or I'll have to do it all in one go when they're all released.

I'll have to do a whole section on 3D, freeview HD, LED and all the new features coming too...I'm looking forward to be honest!

...I'm looking forward to be honest!
Me too!!! hopefully LG can give you all the info you need to deliver the goods!! can't wait! :)

The LG man himself Mr George Mead was more than helpful enough on this one, when I asked him a question he had a detailed response for me as fast as you could like, a big thanks to George!

Ok so I’ve done the big update for the 2010 models, all the new models are there I think, if there are any I missed (or added somehow) then let me know and I’ll update them, let me know of any mistakes with features and things as well, and of course grammar and spelling and all that stuff.

Enjoy!

Nice one Monarch! loads of detail for 2010!! i've seen a couple of the 2010 TV's already in stores, I can't wait to see them ALL! (The PK990 looked gorgeous!) :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom