LG TV Buyers Guide

Hi Monarch08. Thanks for the detailed explanation but I am still confused. I really like the look of PQ6000 but a bit concerned on the Image retention issue. Mostly my usage will be 60% SD, 25% DVD and 15% BD content. I am worried about the 25% DVD because when watching DVD I notice the black bars on the top/bottom. Is this of a concern with IR since some of the movies are 3hrs long and sometimes I might watch back to back movies so might go on for few hrs. Thanks

Welcome to the forums nwanted

You will get image retention from the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, but this will wash away very quickly. I watched the extended version of King Kong on my PG6000 recently (the PQ6000's predecessor) which was 3hrs and 16mins or something epic like that! The black bars were clearly retained afterwards but it took no more than a couple of minutes on the standard freeview to wash it away completely.

Image retention from black bars doesn't seem to act the same as normal image retention, it's difficult to describe but it washes away far quicker. The only time you should be concerned with image retention from black bars is if you watch several movies (with bars) in without any gaps where something else is on screen, so even if there's a day between each movie, if you didn't watch TV on it then the retention would build over time. If you're using it for 60% SD TV though I wouldn't see why you would have an issue other than the bars being visible for a short time after a movie, but as I said, that will wash away very quickly.

Thanks Monarch08. So nothing to worry about I guess. Will the same thing happen if I watch 4:3 aspect ratio movies. I have some really old movies which are in this format. Will the black bars wash away if I watch back SD content after watching these movies?
Also is there any difference between PQ3000 and PQ6000 interms of video quality?
From spec I dont care about the DivX playback. The frameless design looks good but does it make any difference in picture quality compared to PQ3000? If quality is the same I might as well get PQ3000 as it is cheaper. I read somewhere that 6000 is less reflective than 3000 and audio quality is better in 6000. Is this true? Any other differences. Thanks

The same will happen with 4:3 aspect ratios yes, when watching 4:3 TV the bars at the sides will be grey which reduces the issue, I don't think it does the same for movies, but it might.

The differences between the PQ3000 and 6000 are the frameless design, divx and sound quality. As far as I know there's no extra coating on the PQ6000, but the sound quality is better. The PQ3000 has perfectly acceptable sound, but if you're using the inbuilt speakers I would go for the PQ6000

I'm afraid I don't know, someone watching this might or it might be worth asking in the Xbox forums, I know the PS3 doesn't though, although I have a feeling that the new slim model introduces something along those lines...

A bit of an update, Phil Hinton read the guide (he liked it :clap:) and asked me to correct the picture wizard information, it's not a proper calibration tool, just a basic 'set up help' tool, I made it sound like it went into all the advanced stuff which of course it doesn't. There were also a couple of general grammar updates and bits and bobs like that.

(I'm still working on the registration thing!)

---> Trasnfered here..
Hey there,

I recently registered on the forum. I got myself a brand new LG LH5010 (which is almost same as LH5000) EDIT: 37INCH, forgot to mension

I use my TV mainly for PS3.

When i first plugged in the PS3 on to my LG it started working good. But when i got to my first game (PES2009) i noticed 2 things. There is a really slight kinda ghosting when shooting ball. Only when camera tries to catch up the accelerating ball. After the camera cathes up, it goes flawesly..

Second, which is really annoying; There is a delay when sound is played. For example, if i navigate in the menu (only when in game) and i press up (or down) the menu navigates, but the sound comes about half a second later.. Same thing when for example shooting a ball, sound comes half a second later.. This is really annoying..

Anyway to help this?

I connected the PS3 trough HDMI with my LG.. With standard settings.

ok, a small bit of information added to the guide about registering TVs, there's not much to say about it really though, you just get a few bits and bobs which will be nice for some. And thanks to George Mead who found out for me :thumbsup:

Hi to everyone.

Firstly a BIG thanks to Monarch for the terrific guide :clap:. I am in the process of picking my first Plasma/LCD tv, having had my CRT for a good number of years and this has been MOST HELPFUL.

I have narrowed my choice down to LG as a result of much internet research and also visits to the likes of Currys and Comet (shudder :rolleyes:).

My final choice has been narrowed right down to either the 42PQ6000 Plasma or the 42LH4000 LCD.

Now I THOUGHT I really wanted a plasma - best suited to my needs in terms of location, movies, sport and preference for more natural detail rather than potential over-sharpening of edges I notice on the LCDs units. HOWEVER, after my last trip to Comet (brrr :rolleyes:) I noticed that the plasma screens all show a reflected image about 2cm behind the main image. It is really noticeable with text on the screen and specifically when stood to one side. Also shows up with logos and the like. NONE of the LCDs have this issue. And it is an issue. I was ready to part with my hard earned before I noticed this.

Anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Will I be disappointed with the LH4000?

TIA

The reason you get a reflection is because there are two sheets of glass, it's only noticeable from the extreme edges, if you view from those kinds of angles then you probably wouldn't be able to see the picture on an LCD!

I've now had the LG 50PS3000 plasma for maybe 2 months, and I am extremely pleasd with it. I use the out of the box 'cinema' setting as this works best with football (the colour of the grass displays the more realistic natural colour). This mode also seems to suit all other TV programs (for my purposes).

Thanks to Monarch again for his advice (and believe it or not) to the very helpful Comet staff member who persuaded me that this was the best deal (less than ÂŁ700 at the time).

Hey Texan - glad you are pleased with your 3000. Have you noticed the 'double image' issue I raised?

After some further thought last night, the issue may be exaggerated in the showroom due to the intensity of the lighting.

Cheers.

No, I haven't seen any ghosting at all, but I don't look at the TV from an angle, just head on.

The TV is much better at home than as displayed in the shop, which showed the LED backlit TVs as far superior. I would say that my plasma is not only far cheaper, but equally as good.

The TV shop also shows HD to be far superior by dividing the screen into two to show the difference. In my opinion, the HD is slightly better, but nowhere near as big a difference as that shown in the store.

OK thanks.

I looked at the 50" 3000 in the store at lunchtime today. I have to say that the PQ was disappointing! the whites were very light grey and the blacks very dark gray. It was sat between another plasma and an LCD - both of which had better whites and blacks.

I asked for the remote so that I could have a play and they gave it to me and left me alone for a while. I could make the picture slightly better, but not nearly so good as the neighbouring tvs. Any ideas:confused::confused:

The good thing was that the 'double image was not nearly so noticeable - smaller shop, less lights - so should be fine at home. BUT still concerned by the whites and the blacks both tending towards gray. . .

(as an side, I have the option set for 'instant email notification' but not getting any - any help?)

CHEERS

Probably the shop lighting, it does a lot to damage the black levels of plasma TVs, but some deal with it better than others, the LGs are some of the worst in bright lighting like in stores, do you know what TVs it was next to? LCDs always look great in shops, but when you get them home you see that the whites are actually blue and blacks are actually greyer.

I have got to be honest in that I wasn't totally impressed with the TV display in the store either. The Comet assistant convinced me that it would be much better when I got it home and hooked up to a decent signal since the signal inputs in the store are not that good. A convincing test would be to get a Bluray player hooked up to the TV set via HDMI, and the difference even in the store with it's lighting would be amazing.

I had a installation man come in to hook it up to FreeSat, and he was very impressed with the picture.

Monarch,
I too am torn between the 42PQ6000 and the 42LH4000. I am going to buy 2 at the weekend, one with a Bluray BD370 the other with a PS3.
The thing is, I am bouncing between the 2 models. I think i'm leaning more to the PQ, because I feel it is of a slightly higher spec (I may well be wrong,lol), but i'm unsure about the "running in" and the myriad of setting adjustments that seem to be needed on a plasma. LCD seem to be less hassle (or less tweaking required).
The sets are to be put in averagely lit living rooms.
Are there any major reasons that PQ should be chosen over LH or vice versa?

Well in my opinion the PQ will be superior for blu-ray, despite not being 1080p, because of the more natural image and better black levels/contrast, in a normally lit room I'd rate the overall contrast above the LCDs, but you're right in saying that LCDs are less hassle. However, unless static images are on screen for long periods then a run in period isn't needed as such, you just need to keep half an eye on image retention and you should be fine.

Hi everyone, I am new to all this so please excuse if I ask anything stupid!
I have recently bought an LG42PQ3000 on the whole the factory settings are pretty good, however when watching football (on the far side of the pitch) the players have a ghostly, pixellated appearance, is this normal? I have asked LG customer support who suggest watching in sport mode, this basically screws up the colour and does not improve the problem, I suffered this problem on a previous LCD TV and switched to Plasma to try and improve. Any suggestions? I am on Virgin media but the problem seems to have come on since the digital switchover, particularly poor on ESPN.
HELP?

Thanks for the info, its of value and has more or less confirmed my choice in favour of the PQ. Am I right in saying that its wise to reduce brightness and contrast to approx 50% initially to extend the screen life and reduce image retention, or is this just a myth. Surely the picture must look dreadfull.

Thanks for the info, its of value and has more or less confirmed my choice in favour of the PQ. Am I right in saying that its wise to reduce brightness and contrast to approx 50% initially to extend the screen life and reduce image retention, or is this just a myth. Surely the picture must look dreadfull.

Turn the contrast and colour down to around 50% (colour's usually there-ish anyway) and then adjust brightness to make the picture watchable, it might be higher than 50% but that doesn't matter, there's a brief explanation in the guide if you want to take a look at it, but it's not hugely important.

Anyway, the running in process isn't essential, as you can have different settings saved on each input then I'd recommend doing it for any inputs with static images for long periods (such as game consoles), otherwise SD TV and movies are generally fine, unless you watch news/sports channels a lot. I didn't run in my PG6000 and I use it for gaming, I have no burn in issues, I just kept an eye on IR to make sure it didn't get too serious.

Turning the settings down does technically extend screen life, but not to a noticeable degree, the reason is extends screen life is that every time a plasma pixel is lit it's a little bit dimmer, if you don't light it as brightly then it will stay brighter for longer, so turning the settings down will always make it last longer, but on normal settings it should technically last well over 20 years on 10 hours a day before the screen reaches half the original brightness.

Hi everyone, I am new to all this so please excuse if I ask anything stupid!
I have recently bought an LG42PQ3000 on the whole the factory settings are pretty good, however when watching football (on the far side of the pitch) the players have a ghostly, pixellated appearance, is this normal? I have asked LG customer support who suggest watching in sport mode, this basically screws up the colour and does not improve the problem, I suffered this problem on a previous LCD TV and switched to Plasma to try and improve. Any suggestions? I am on Virgin media but the problem seems to have come on since the digital switchover, particularly poor on ESPN.
HELP?

Hello and welcome to the forums,

what you're seeing there is in the broadcast, and is a side effect of low bandwith broadcast, you'll notice that it's worse on some channels than others, but it usually shows up most on sports. Unfortunately you will have to live with it, turning the noise reduction on might help somewhat, but wont cure it completely, alternatively the HD channels are usually better (ESPN HD for example) but of course that means a freesat/sky HD/V+ box is needed.

It's a very valid question though :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Monarch,
After reading several threads I was kind of hoping you would respond. Thanks for your explanation, is it possible the quality of the scart leads could also be affecting the picture?
I have contacted Virgin Media and they say they will send a signal to my box to attempt a cure? You never know if I whinge enough they may upgrade me to a HD box.
Best regards

The SCART cable could also have something to do with it, check the inbuilt freeview as well if you can, if it's much worse on the Virgin box then that'll no doubt be the reason.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom