LG TV Buyers Guide

clemenzina

Monarch, I've just embarked on your Guide because I want to improve on my Daewoo CRT in time for the World Cup and I only have Standard Definition Freeview - which I'm hoping a 720p plasma would upscale just enough for me to see the shirt numbers and recognise faces without needing close-up shots.

Because I am at the bottom end of the plasma market, I have noticed an inaccuracy... I think!

LG's specs say that the **PJ350 does have USB DivX:

LG 42PJ350 Television - 42" HD Ready Plasma TV with 600Hz, 2 x HDMI and USB connectivity - LG Electronics UK

It's something I'm particularly interested in because I'd love to be able to watch HD movies and it would save me buying a blu-ray player, for the time being at least. The Panasonics in my price-range seem to take an SD card and I believe that .avi files could be converted to play on them. But Phil Hinton and Trusted Reviews don't seem to be very impressed with the low-end models (X10, X20) for SD viewing - I don't know if you could be so kind as to trawl your mental archive for an opinion on that? Or for any recommendation for viewing Freeview SD almost exclusively via umpteen PVRs? (Oh yeah :rolleyes: that raises the thorny issue of so few SCART sockets on the newer models, but I am presently using S-video to accommodate the Topfield, which annoyingly "wakes up" and butts in when it records, and all the plasmas would have Component... more expense, buying converter cables :eek: )

I realise that you've already gone way above the call of duty with your service to us all, without having to plough thru my screed :D Off I go, back to your Guide.

clemenzina

Monarch

Novice Member
I'll look up that feature of the PJ350, and I will change it accordingly, cheers for noticing!

As for the SD useage, I'm not going to argue with Phil Hinton's viewpoint, and I do share it (I'm not just sucking up :D ). I haven't seen the new models like the X20, but taking the 2009 range as an example the LGs had superior picture processing which leads to a better SD picture. I think the processing has improved in the new Panasonic models but I'd find it hard to believe that they've reached the same levels as the LGs. For watching SD TV there isn't much better than a 720p LG plasma, although the 1080p ones will do a very good job as well.

clemenzina

For watching SD TV there isn't much better than a 720p LG plasma, although the 1080p ones will do a very good job as well.
Wow! A categorical straight answer!! If only I'd met you before - this decision has put years on me, but now I almost feel ten years younger :D

Thank you very much, Monarch.

clemenzina

George Mead

Novice Member
I can confirm the PJ350 only plays back pictures and music via the USB port and it's the PK350 that adds playback of DivX movies.

I will ensure the web-team update urgently tomorrow AM.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused...

George
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Monarch, I've just embarked on your Guide because I want to improve on my Daewoo CRT in time for the World Cup and I only have Standard Definition Freeview - which I'm hoping a 720p plasma would upscale just enough for me to see the shirt numbers and recognise faces without needing close-up shots.

Because I am at the bottom end of the plasma market, I have noticed an inaccuracy... I think!

LG's specs say that the **PJ350 does have USB DivX:

LG 42PJ350 Television - 42" HD Ready Plasma TV with 600Hz, 2 x HDMI and USB connectivity - LG Electronics UK

It's something I'm particularly interested in because I'd love to be able to watch HD movies and it would save me buying a blu-ray player, for the time being at least. The Panasonics in my price-range seem to take an SD card and I believe that .avi files could be converted to play on them. But Phil Hinton and Trusted Reviews don't seem to be very impressed with the low-end models (X10, X20) for SD viewing - I don't know if you could be so kind as to trawl your mental archive for an opinion on that? Or for any recommendation for viewing Freeview SD almost exclusively via umpteen PVRs? (Oh yeah :rolleyes: that raises the thorny issue of so few SCART sockets on the newer models, but I am presently using S-video to accommodate the Topfield, which annoyingly "wakes up" and butts in when it records, and all the plasmas would have Component... more expense, buying converter cables :eek: )

I realise that you've already gone way above the call of duty with your service to us all, without having to plough thru my screed :D Off I go, back to your Guide.

clemenzina

clemenzina

And I'm sorry if I'm appearing to carp about this 'n that :cool: Buying the wrong TV would be, at the very least, massively inconvenient, as the logistics req'd to get one into my flat will be bad enough; and at worst, cost more than I can afford to put right.

This is the offending info:

I don't see the PK range on any known retailers' site :confused:

clemenzina

Monarch

Novice Member
The PK range is just the 1080p range (PJ being 720p), they are a bit thin on the ground at the moment as they have only just been released and apparently the volcanic ash saga which has been going on has disrupted shipping, so some places don't have them, there are a few around though.

Monarch

Novice Member

clemenzina

Same places as you, but 50/60" is outside my parameters, Monarch, so they'd never come up within my search terms.

clemenzina

clemenzina

I really got indignant and gave you a rocket - just as well I deleted it, I might need you one day ;)

clemenzina x

crazy88

Standard Member
Hello Monarch, It's paul here. How's things? I'm actually looking to buy a tv this time (i know I may have said this before, but it's true now!)

Ideally i'd like to get LG as I really like them, got any advice? I'm thinking 37-40"...and not a whole lot of budget, haha.

Niethan

Standard Member
I've been looking around the forum but really can't find any exact info .. i'm looking to buy one of the LG 50PK250 or LG 50PK550 ... the price difference is about 200Euros here .... i have found significant info on the LG 50PK550 but nothing regarding 250 .... does anyone know the difference in specs....is the 550 worth it or would the 250 be enough and i should spend the difference on other stuff (audio system etc)

Thanks in advance for the help

Monarch

Novice Member
Hello Monarch, It's paul here. How's things? I'm actually looking to buy a tv this time (i know I may have said this before, but it's true now!)

Ideally i'd like to get LG as I really like them, got any advice? I'm thinking 37-40"...and not a whole lot of budget, haha.
Hi Paul, everything is good, even if a bit manic at the moment, how are things with you?

Anyway, if you were willing to stretch to 42" then that opens a few more doors for you with LG, a few more LCD models and a couple of plasmas if that was right for you. There's a summary of all the models available and the main features on here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-forum/1212857-summary-lg-2010-tvs.html which is worth a quick look just to narrow down the options to a few and then see about which is best.

LCD vs Plasma is probably the first thing to work out, if you want to go for the 37" ones then LCD is the only option, but if you want to give 42" a go then there are a few plasmas, no 1080p ones though. If you're watching news /sport channels or gaming for long periods then I'd stick to LCD as well.

Off the top of my head the LD450 or LD550 might be the ones to look at, not sure about prices, maybe a bit much for the LD550 which isn't in 37"? If you want to take a look at that list of models and say what you want it to do then I'll try and give you a bit more info.

I've been looking around the forum but really can't find any exact info .. i'm looking to buy one of the LG 50PK250 or LG 50PK550 ... the price difference is about 200Euros here .... i have found significant info on the LG 50PK550 but nothing regarding 250 .... does anyone know the difference in specs....is the 550 worth it or would the 250 be enough and i should spend the difference on other stuff (audio system etc)

Thanks in advance for the help
I thought the PK250 only came in 60"?! Over here we have the PK590, some of the differences I point out might not be quite the same in your case, so it's worth checking over them at some point (I'll also have a quick check later on when I have an opportunity). To me it looks like there are a few cosmetic differences, I think the bezel is slightly different. The PK590 also has THX, the PK250 doesn't, this might not be the same with you though, I have a feeling that US version isn't THX certified. The 550 has more HDMI inputs which is useful and is has more USB playback functionality, divxHD and things like that. Other than that they're relatively similar over here at least. The PK590 also has freeviewHD, DLNA and NetCast, but you wont get those outside the UK.

If the 200 Euros is a lot of money to you then I'd be tempted to spend that on some decent speakers if you haven't got some already, although if you're the kind of person who'll use the extra USB stuff then that and the THX might make the PK550 worth it.

Last edited:

dean vanstone

Standard Member
i have a lg32lg3000 can i change the screen with any other 32" lg and does any one have one for sale ? please phone 07908197237 thanks Dean Brighton

D-one

Standard Member
Hi everyone!
Does anyone know what update I need so as to enable some functions in the Antenna menu set-up? Some functions (like Software update, booster etc) are grayed out.
I wrote to LG and they sent me update 3.66 but it did not help.

TV Model: 47LH5000.

Thanks.

dc20dc

Standard Member
Great guide Monarch! Based on this my viewing is SD 50% 30% Sky HD+ and 20% Blu-Ray. Viewing distance from the screen is 150" so will a 55" be too much?

Monarch

Novice Member
From that distance HD stuff should look pretty good and I'd go for it, SD will look a bit rough around the edges, but it always will. I'd say it's worth getting the 55", the 47" LCDs aren't quite big enough if you want the real pop of HD, and even 50" isn't quite.

EDIT: Also, an update with the PX990 has been written up and will be uploaded shortly, but I've misplaced the external hard drive with the file on so I just need to find that :D

jeanddr

Standard Member
i think this post is great. i own an LG 32LH40-UA, and believe is a good trade and quality product. Also have a question or sugesstion i didnt find at the guide, in relation of the "objects"or "halos" around images or persons (mostly) in fast scenes,this is a known problem of the Trumotion (120mhz in my model), but...can u tell me wich is the best configuration to my TV? (not just shutting down trumotion) i dont know if my configurations is the best to reduce this Inconvinient and enjoy more of the TV? i searches truogh the web and didnt find a specific guide to this... please help me

Monarch

Novice Member
i think this post is great. i own an LG 32LH40-UA, and believe is a good trade and quality product. Also have a question or sugesstion i didnt find at the guide, in relation of the "objects"or "halos" around images or persons (mostly) in fast scenes,this is a known problem of the Trumotion (120mhz in my model), but...can u tell me wich is the best configuration to my TV? (not just shutting down trumotion) i dont know if my configurations is the best to reduce this Inconvinient and enjoy more of the TV? i searches truogh the web and didnt find a specific guide to this... please help me
Different sets all require different settings for the 'ideal' picture, you need to set it all up yourself really, as best you as you can at least. Use the picture wizard to get started if it's on your model, that's useful for the main controls on the front. The more advanced settings generally need much more care and equipment to set for your TV specifically. Turning all of the extra processing off is advised though (Trumotion, dynamic contrast/colour, edge enhancement etc...)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 2nd December 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Klipsch announces four Cinema soundbars for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson adds Connect 250 streaming amp to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces XR series Hi-Fi products
  • By Andy Bassett