Question LG TV Bbc iPlayer video quality issues still on 05.20.04 firmware update

Johnfrustrated

Novice Member
I installed the latest software which, oddly or confidentially, worked for a short while but now it's back to usual blocky problem. Really frustrated with this, LG don't even recognise the model of TV I own (just sent picture of data). My question is; should I purchase a Samsung and give up on LG? I'm just getting more frustrated with LG and a TV that is only 18 months old.

Manxmissile

Novice Member
It will be interesting to see if anyone else still has problems. I have watched iplayer since the latest update and it has been fine. So unless others still have the same problem it could be something else on your tv. Regarding buying a Samsung, that`s up to you but I do recall a lot of updates for those too. Frying pan and fire spring to mind. I`d keep a watch on this forum to see if others are still having a problem. Incidentally, did you download the software from their website or was it done through the tv, as that option was not available when I updated mine.

mssblb

Novice Member
We have had issues for a while but it’s recently got so bad throughout the programme we’re trying to watch On iplayer rather than just issues at the start as we used to have.

I noticed some of the interference was from the channel that was on the tv before I went into the app. I had an experiment and found if I go into the iplayer app when it's on a radio channel (rather than tv channel) we don’t get the interference and can watch perfectly.

Does this work for anyone else?

Johnfrustrated

Novice Member
I simply update via TV / WiFi, I hadn't thought of doing it any other way. I will try a full reset and fingers crossed it magically works! Thanks for comments re Samsung.

Johnfrustrated

Novice Member
Wow, result! Switching to a radio station before using iPlayer works - what a fantastic fix. Thanks you so much - I'm sure we would have ended up buying a new TV if LG hadn't sorted it out in the next few weeks

mssblb

Novice Member
Brilliant! So glad it’s worked for you too.

It would be better if the tv worked properly as it once did but at least there’s something that works for now...

RADARDOG

Novice Member
I perused the updates -and have had similar issues. There are a few updates regarding testing of 05.20.15. To get a broader view , could any one else confirm if they have installed 05.20.15 and have had any problems with it.
Thanks

misterdog

Standard Member
Has anyone had an issue with the green button functionality on th IPlayer ?

Mine stopped working about 4 weeks ago, the latest 05.20.15 update has not fixed it.

UK 6400 PLF with standard remote.

Manxmissile

Novice Member
I tried the green button when a notification asked if I wanted to watch the program from the start. It took me into iplayer and started the program. If you still have a problem I would uninstall BBC iplayer and then reinstall. The recent update was for the break up of the picture rather than a green button issue. Hope this helps misterdog.

misterdog

Standard Member
I checked the App version which is 1-0-5, 22/09/2017. It is the current version.

I tried to uninstall, but online instructions said to press the 'x' button to remove. I have no x button on my remote !!.

Last edited:

Manxmissile

Novice Member
If you bring up the all the iplayers by pressing the home button and then go along to the far right to the edit button ( not sure what it is called) press enter and then you go back along to the BBC iplayer and I think you press the up bottom to delete. Once it has been deleted you will need to go back into the LG content store and find BBC iplayer and then reinstall. Regards.

misterdog

Standard Member
Ah, when you go into 'edit' mode then an 'x' appears above the app allowing you to delete it.

I carried out a full factory reset on the TV and hence reinstalled the IPlayer, yet still no green button.
I can only conclude that there is an LG problem with my particular model of TV.

misterdog

Standard Member
Interesting. Rather than using the 'green button' flag on live TV, if I go into the App the programmes listed on 'channels' allows me to choose, watch live or watch from the beginning.

So only the live TV notification flag has vanished not the functionality.

Manxmissile

Novice Member
Interesting. Rather than using the 'green button' flag on live TV, if I go into the App the programmes listed on 'channels' allows me to choose, watch live or watch from the beginning.

So only the live TV notification flag has vanished not the functionality.
Sounds as if you have it sorted. Hopefully.
BTW Years ago when I worked in the trade, Samsung had an issue with the green button, like it would not go off the screen unless you switched the tv off and back on again. We got a lot of phone calls for that one. Yep, an update fixed that one.

misterdog

Standard Member
Yes it is now sorted, thank you.
During my research I tripped over people asking if they could prevent the green button banner from appearing on their TV's - LOL.

Maybe LG or the BBC have been swayed by these peoples opinions.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom