LG tv and Now, 50 fps issue

davee b

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I was about to pull the trigger on a Now tv subscription for Sky Sports to get me through Christmas when I read about the lack of 50 fps support for LG tv's (and X box) when using Boost. These are the two routes I use for streaming. I was wondering if anyone who uses Now tv has any anecdotal experience of how sport looks on an LG tv when using boost to get 1080. The tv is a 2017 B7 so uses webos, but if the stream is going to look weird I'm not interested. Does the stream display at 24 fps???
I can't understand why this limitation exists as everything else i.e. Prime, Netflix, iplayer on the TV and Xbox look fine.
Thanks for any feedback.

You can currently get a Roku Express HD for £14 or less, 4K version around £25. Supports Now TV and has an upto 30 minute buffer to rewind on some Now TV content including sports.

I have a LG OLED but use my Roku Stick+ for Now TV.

Thanks Fred, how does the sports content look to you and does it somehow bypass the lack of 50 fps issue?

Nothing is bypassed as the Roku app supports the Boost. It's the LG TV app which does not currently.

Actually I just looked on the rainforest vendor and it's currently £19.79. Is that where you saw it for £14?

Never heard of them.

Well they were this morning all £14 or less when I looked:
Argos
Amazon
Asda
Tesco
Ebay

Now all gone back up to around £28 - £30. No doubt will be on offer soon.

Rainforest vendor = Amazon. They do like to move the prices up and down at a moments notice.

The LG NowTV app. is pretty rubbish. It always starts stuff in low-rent SD for a few seconds before ramping up to HD (I have the Boost pass). The NowTV app. on my Now-cum-Roku box behaves fine in that regard. One plus point that the LG app. does offer is the stream quality value. Hit info. whilst streaming and you can see the current rate -- 4800+ for SD, 7800+ for HD. The app. on the Roku boxes doesn't have that facility.

There's been some noise that Sky is going to offer 4K streaming on NowTV at some point. That said, they've promised DD5.1 audio on the NowTV on ATV boxes and that never surfaced .....

As for Amazon prices, they seem to be swinging around a lot right now. I checked something the other day using my iPad, liked the price, walked over to my computer, and by the time that I'd logged-in and accessed the Amazon website, the price had jumped nigh-on 50%, and that was for something sold by Amazon.

Last edited:
The LG NowTV app. is pretty rubbish. It always starts stuff in low-rent SD for a few seconds before ramping up to HD (I have the Boost pass). The NowTV app. on my Now-cum-Roku box behaves fine in that regard. One plus point that the LG app. does offer is the stream quality value. Hit info. whilst streaming and you can see the current rate -- 4800+ for SD, 7800+ for HD. The app. on the Roku boxes doesn't have that facility.

There's been some noise that Sky is going to offer 4K streaming on NowTV at some point. That said, they've promised DD5.1 audio on the NowTV on ATV boxes and that never surfaced .....

As for Amazon prices, they seem to be swinging around a lot right now. I checked something the other day using my iPad, liked the price, walked over to my computer, and by the time that I'd logged-in and accessed the Amazon website, the price had jumped nigh-on 50%, and that was for something sold by Amazon.
That's good info thanks Clem. The 4K streaming possibility sounds like good news. I'm torn between getting the Roku mentioned by Fred above or an Amazon 4K firestick. I'm leaning towards the firestick mainly because it has an independant power supply and the main tv I intend to use it on is already providing USB power to something else.
As for the Amazon prices it's like watching the stock exchange but both the Roku and the Firestick prices only seem to be going in one direction at the moment and that's up.

The LG NowTV app. is pretty rubbish. It always starts stuff in low-rent SD for a few seconds before ramping up to HD (I have the Boost pass)...
Personally, I haven't noticed this happen anything like as much since the NOW TV service was rebranded and updated to the NOW service. I'm also using a wired ethernet connection on the TV - which are not available on the newer Roku and Amazon 4K streaming devices!

That's good info thanks Clem. The 4K streaming possibility sounds like good news. I'm torn between getting the Roku mentioned by Fred above or an Amazon 4K firestick. I'm leaning towards the firestick mainly because it has an independant power supply and the main tv I intend to use it on is already providing USB power to something else.
As for the Amazon prices it's like watching the stock exchange but both the Roku and the Firestick prices only seem to be going in one direction at the moment and that's up.
What makes you think the Roku's do not have separate psu's?

The Fire TV's are very good and my current choice, and I have two 4K Max's (have two) but I also several Roku's and an Apple TV 4K box:

1. The Fire TV and Apple boxes don't have the 30min Now TV rewind, despite why Now say about which the Apple, you may or may not find useful.

2. Roku does not support all the apps I use. But it may you?

Personally, I haven't noticed this happen anything like as much since the NOW TV service was rebranded and updated to the NOW service. I'm also using a wired ethernet connection on the TV - which are not available on the newer Roku and Amazon 4K streaming devices!
The latest Roku Express HD and Express 4K both support third party adapters it's on their website. As I previously posted on another threads.

All Fire TV's except the obsolite Gen 1, including the latest 4K Max support Amazon's Ethernet adapter.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the reminder Fred :)

What makes you think the Roku's do not have separate psu's?
The blurb on the Amazon site states that the Roku Express gets its power from the tv usb port (although it doesn't say this for the Premiere / Streaming stick+ /Streambar).

Last edited:
The blurb on the Amazon site states that the Roku Express gets its power from the usb port (although it doesn't say this for the Premiere / Streaming stick+ /Streambar).
Don't know where you saw that but they all have come with their own psu's back to the 2 XS.

And it's £23.49 not £13.99 as the shortcut appears to show. (edit...now shows the full price)

Last edited:
As you seem to be going the Fire TV route most of this is irrelevant. Prices for both manufacturers products have been up and down all year, preferable to buy when low.
Yes i'll hang fire, just a case of being there to pull the trigger at the right time. Maybe they have stopped providing a mains adapter to save money, either that or the blurb is wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom