LG to release HDR update to a few 2015 TV's

thewoe2

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I emailed LG CS regarding the possibility of them releasing a HDR Update for my LG 55UF850V and this is the response i got. Take it with a pinch of salt as nothing has been officially announced.

image.jpeg

Someone pray to baby Jebus.

Pretty please

This could be nothing more than CS BS after todays announcements, but they could add some form of HDR to all 2015 tv's, we shall see.

fudge packets! its either the 65UF950 or 65JS9000 , save £400 and pray for HDR update ?:censored:

Some of the 2015 tvs had HDR support since september of 2015. My tv is a 58UF8300 and got the HDR support with the firmware update 04.20.08 released on September 9 of 2015

Saludos

My UF860V gets the "HDR is on" notification when watching certain 4K content on Amazon Prime.

Wasn't sure if it was just something to do with Amazon only, obviously not then.

I'll check the firmware version on my set when I get home in a bit.

Ill download some HDR clips and see if it activates on my UF850v, my firmware is 40.00.40

Last edited:
Well i tryed the clips and whilst my tv played them fine, there was no HDR notifacation indicating it was on also the contrast looked very odd.

This is very dissapointing, i dont know if its because the UK sets have yet to recieve the/a update but as it stands at the moment No HDR on the 55UF850v.

My UF860V gets the "HDR is on" notification when watching certain 4K content on Amazon Prime.

Wasn't sure if it was just something to do with Amazon only, obviously not then.

I'll check the firmware version on my set when I get home in a bit.

My tv is using the latest firmware, manually installed from the Korean support site.

The firmware version is: 04.20.60

Was released on december 3 of 2015.

Well i tryed the clips and whilst my tv played them fine, there was no HDR notifacation indicating it was on also the contrast looked very odd.

This is very dissapointing, i dont know if its because the UK sets have yet to recieve the/a update but as it stands at the moment No HDR on the 55UF850v.

Sorry man but as far as I know, only the Prime series and the oleds models support HDR until now. I hope they add support for more models, but maybe is not going to happen. That´s because the Prime series uses the nano crystal technology.

But we have to wait to have more info from LG.

Its a shame, i dont get why the UF850v wasnt a Colorprime release, its annoying as the UF860v is only avilable via john lewis or richer sounds for the same price as the UF850v i got in currys.

The UF850v has a 10bit panel, Ultra Luminance etc yet does not support some form of HDR, its very annoying that i just got this tv in november and already i feel its outdated and i got screwed for not waiting :(

My UF860V is running software version 04.00.40 and as above gets the "HDR is on" notification on some content via Amazon Prime.

Thats whats making me realise that HDR is not coming to the UF850v
Yeah i got the UG870v and im thinking the same thing

My UF860V is running software version 04.00.40 and as above gets the "HDR is on" notification on some content via Amazon Prime.
Yes. The UF860 is part of the Colour Prime series. Actually I think it is a combination of the 8300 and the 8500.
And the 8500 is just a 8600 without nano crystals.

Because if I'm correct, the 8600 has nano crystal technology, 3D and HK sound and the panel because my UF8300 has a MVA panel.
Thats whats making me realise that HDR is not coming to the UF850v
Seems like is not going to have support because the lack of nano crystal technology.

Here you can see more about the two models:

LG 58UF8300 Review : What are the differences to 60UF8500?

Saludos

Is an HDR viewing experience really much improved from a non HDR picture or not thestig230?
Just curious, I'm in the market for a new TV but wonder if I should bother with HDR or not.

Might be worth it for the new 4K Bluray players.

I don't think streamed content is the best example for me to comment on as the video is always going to be compressed slightly. Although the picture quality is amazing.
I have some HDR clips on a USB stick so plan to give them a go at some point ASAP and will comment then.

The man in the high castle.

Thank you!

My tv displays the same banner with HDR content on a usb but not on Amazon. Maybe my tv is not HDR compatible with streaming services, or maybe my internet connection is not fast enough to stream at UHD+HDR because I use a dns service and sometimes it just streams at 1080p.

Saludos

@snoods I've just watched the Life Of Pi 4K HDR demo I download onto usb.
Comparing it to the same clip on YouTube I noticed a massive difference in picture clarity and sharpness! It was like night and day!

I'm by no means an expert but I noticed the difference straight away.

I also got the "HDR is now on." notification when playing them from the usb stick.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom