LG surround sound through TV no DVD player? Help urgently needed

Jhawker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Well, I've stumbled upon a set of LG surround sound speakers for 50 pounds, there's only one problem...He's not including the DVD player portion, which he's taken to use himself, just the speakers. I was fine with that, I've got 3 DVD players and a DVD recorder so that isn't gonna do me much good. Got a phonecall again today from him and asked a simple question "it comes with a remote, right?" to which I was met with a big, fat "no".

So I guess the only way to control these was meant to be with the DVD player that was included with the speakers, which he's not included, I was told that I could "set it up to work through a DVD/CD player" which I stated many times "I don't watch many movies, I listen to music through my PC/HI-FI, I want my surround sound going through my TV, where ALL of my stuff works through" it didn't seem to work, next I was told I could use it with SKY Digital...So I just gave up, said I'll phone back and say whether or not I want them.

So this is now where I ask you, the AVforums community, this simple question. Can I control a set of LG speakers connected via an optical output from the TV to the speakers, with my television remote?

The TV in question is this:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hardware-reviews/883846-lg-42lg7000-lcd-tv-review.html

speakers in question are these (without the DVD player part):

LG HT502SH Reviews

thank you for your time, sorry if this isn't the right place to post this

Edit: Oh and according to the guy selling them, all the inputs are on the subwoofer (optical etc) though that may not be the truth, but it's what I was told

Last edited:
Just looked at the manual and I would not buy them. The guy is talking rubbish assuming the model number is correct. All the amp and speaker connections are on the back of the DVD player. The sub is a passive one so can not be used with an AV reciever either and the other speakers are 4ohms which are a little too low for an AV reciever as well. These speakers are not worth £50 imho especially without the DVD section. If you bought these you could not connect them to your equipment.

I had a feeling that may have been the case, thank you very much :) you saved me from wasting £50 on some speakers I wouldn't have been able to even use (he said that as soon as they leave him house they're non-returnable, so there was no chance I could try them out even) it's a pain in the rear, I've been after a new surround system for over a year now due to my TV only having an optical output and nothing more (not even a headphone jack) and was hoping this was gonna be the one, but nope, he took the DVD player out of it and rendered them useless, I s'pose the search for a cheap Surround system with optical input continues.

Thank you again though, I really appreciate it, it's better to have no speakers at all than to have wasted £50 on rubbish :)

What is your budget for a surround set of speakers?
To be honest £50 is not really going to get you an improvement over your current TV speakers.

What is your budget for a surround set of speakers?
To be honest £50 is not really going to get you an improvement over your current TV speakers.

I'm afraid £50 is literally the max :( I have a mobile contract to pay and currently don't have a job to allow me to splash out on anything amazing. I know it's not very good, but if you know of any that are £50, new or used is fine, with an optical input then I'd really appreciate hearing about them. Right now I'm using a cheap set of Altec Lansing PC 5.1 speakers so I haven't been spoiled by anything incredible, hehe

You can get a convertor for around £35 that will convert an optical output to phonos. Theu means you could buy a cheap secondhand stereo amp and pair of speakers. These would sound a lot better than your current system although it will not be surround sound.

I'll have a look into that then, seeing as I doubt I'll find a fully featured optical system for that price, thanks again :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom