LG surround sound problems with tv ..help!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by skinye, Feb 20, 2014.

1. skinye

skinye
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody I'm new here but I am in need of some trouble shooting ideas. I bought the latest LG 3d LED 47" TV with compatible LG surround sound 5.1. I have it for over a year with this problem of " sometimes" the TV output of surround sound does not work! Yes I mean it works most of time but.. It conks out regularly. Weird I know. All other surround sound functions work eg: bluray sound, DVD sound, radio works but when I use the "ARC" function on surround sound( this is the function that allows sound through my system to TV only)it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't! Pisses me off when u have the boys over to watch a game and the surround sound decides it's not gonna function that day. Now my HDMI is a cheap one, should I buy a new and better HDmi?? HELP!!!!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    You are not alone in having problems with HDMI CEC and ARC.

Assuming you have CEC enabled on both devices (LG call it SimpLink) plus ARC enabled there is not much else you can adjust in settings.

The fact that you get ARC some of the time indicates your cable is working so swapping cables is unlikely to resolve this problem.

If the TV has an Optical Out and there is an Optical In on the Amp you may want to try that as a more reliable option.

I don't suppose the ARC issue could be linked to the type of audio in the broadcast stream - any mention of ARC only supporting 2.0 audio and not supporting 5.1 in the User Manual?

Joe