LG Super HD 2017 Owners and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by marps, Sep 11, 2017.

1. marps

marps
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, not seen any forums for new 2017 LG 4K Super HD so thought I'd kick one off. I've just bought the 55SJ810v and pretty impressed so far but cannot seem to find settings for best picture etc

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i have the same tv and like you cant make my mind up on best settings.
    At the moment i have settled on the standard picture mode with a few settings changes.

3. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hiya this is great news I'm new count me in please!!
    Iv just upgraded I had the 43UJ750V and loved it coming from a 2015 Sony Andriod model brought last year tv was just deedful performance even after sevral software updates.

So after haveing the LG 43UJ750V for two weeks John Lewis Oxford Street did a sale and reduced the price of the 49SJ800V could not belive my eye so I jumped at the chance while they had the stocks and received it yesterday so far so good and pretty impressive!! Webos 3.5 is just fxxing awesome Sony take notice!!!

4. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 55SJ810V, how's everyone finding theirs?

5. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi Oliver iv had my 49SJ800V for a week now so far good loving it early days.. What's up with yours??

6. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Oh I don't have one, I'm just thinking about buying one. Either that or the HiSense, which is definitely cheaper.

7. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hisence are a good middle brand but without being biased LG all the way!! Iv recently migrated from a terrible experience with Sony Andriod TV and saved a little more went for LG and no looking back. Webos alone has to be the best out their honest. LG picture is pretty dam good all I can say.
    I say wait a little save a little more you won't be disappointed going for an LG

8. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Need to add the 'SJ' range is the very best top LG does on their edge lit pannel range btw next level is OLED! Also realy realy important the 'SJ' range use native 10bit pannel and not 8bit+FRC well my 49SJ800V is I dought Hisence gives that.. Have a look also LG at this range uses 100hrz native refresh rate another important bit of info so be care full it may be worth spending a little more and getting that quality

9. al84

al84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I bought the 55SJ850v a few weeks back.

So far I've been really impressed with its colours and detail. It seems plenty bright enough to give a decent HDR10 and DV image too. The BBC's HLG demo on iPlayer also looks great on it. Also, after over two weeks I only hooked up my sound system today. The built in speakers are pretty amazing and definitely the best I've heard on an LED.

Black uniformity and blooming is an issue though and one that I am looking to address with bias lighting in the near future. Any suggestions?

I'd be very interested to know what settings people are using. The out of the box ISF Expert modes for SDR and Cinema/Cinema (Home) for HDR10/DV seem pretty great but I want to get the most out of it :)

10. Kokixz

Kokixz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can lg49sj810v send DD+(Atmos) over ARC down to soundbar yamaha ysp5600? I am asking this because if i want to watch some Armos movie via Netflix am i going to have Atmos effect if Tv and soundbar are connected via ARC?

Thanks in advance.

11. al84

al84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't think the Super UHD line supports Atmos. I think that only comes in with the OLEDs

12. al84

al84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The 2017 Super UHD line got the Technicolor update today :)

13. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Sorry folks being a bit dim here what's the '' Technicolour '' update iv got the 49SJ800V model do I need to preform a firmware update? ? .

I'm pretty good at my tech being in IT and all that ...

Please advise ..

14. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Okay just had a brush read in this special update ..thanks for the heads up.

I'm new to LG only had my new TV for 3 weeks .jumped ship from a dredful Sony Android TV experience.

This update looks absolutely awesome can't wait to try it .
    Iv gone on LG website under download and surport can't see any new firmware yet still got July's one up their ..

15. holiver

holiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm tempted by the SJ800V, especially as we are entering discount season. I like the look of it compared to those LG TVs with the crescent stand and think webOS is the best smart TV platform available.

My only concern is over the use of an IPS panel and the issues that the TV could suffer from subsequently (lack of contrast and more obvious DSE). Can anyone give feedback on the TV?

16. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi I don't think the SJ 800V gonna drop anymore to be honest it's already dropped a fair amount scene may this year .I paid £750 recently in fact 3 weeks ago from John Lewis Oxford Street and week later John Lewis reduced it again £699 and as a long John Lewis customer my self for many many years they gave me back the £50 difference so what what already an absolute great price from £999 has now become a fantastic deal .

If the drop the price again it may drop to £699 but I don't think it will go any future until 2018 new LG range !
    It great watching Netflix dolby vision and I find it bright enough. In general the pannel is very bright and remember the SJ range use native 10bit pannels and not frc !

17. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    I'm trying to work out what is different between each of these.

Between SJ800 and SJ810 its just the stand?
    Between SJ850 and SJ810/SJ800 its just the sound (speakers/power)?

Between SJ850 and SJ950 I cannot tell what the difference is at all.

When you compare them on the LG site, then apart from sound they all have same spec and features apparently. Their manuals dont seem to reveal anything either. Comparison sites dont seem to have complete info, or worse it looks wrong (some report these as 8bit + FRC dither instead of 10 bit.)

Which reviews the 800 or 810 better then the 850 for picture (I assume thats just reviewer error, or is it?)

Also prices for the 55" model in this range seem all over the place for no good reason (810 and 800 more expensive than the 850, and the 950 is way way up in premium price range).

Also can any of these output proper DD+ (which should include atmos) over HDMI-ARC? Ie does anyone have a receiver connected on HDMI ARC connector that reports DD+ when watching netflix? Does it also do Atmos over ARC or is that still OLED models only?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  18. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi yes he care full I have been told that 800V which I have is indeed native 10bit pannel the 810V Curry's exclusive is 8bit +FRC I was told by LG customer surport that 800V is native 10bit I have also emailed LG tech as well

19. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Thanks for your reply - there seems to be so much conflicting information about these TVs around. Not helped that info for US models seems more complete, but then often US and UK models can have almost nothing in common.

20. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Yes that's very true . I'm also going to email LG tech support direct and try to get more clarification on the matter .

Also if you head to displayspec website just Google that wack in the model number it does on fact state 800V is 10bit whilst 810V is 8bit +frc .

This website is mostly accraute as I had a Sony prior to owning my new 800V and it was spot on with the specs .agree US specs can be a bit conflicting as ''rtings'' website does a lot of reviews I believe the 8500 model is closest along those lines anyway .800V and 810V are for 49' only the 8500 I believe and upwards are same spec's but just larger screens

21. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Yes - saw that too, but the LG site does not indicate any difference at all between the SJ models from 800-950.

Anyway - I gave up - just ordered a 55B7V which I should have tomorrow afternoon.

My choice had come down to either buy a low end LCD as a stop gap or go for high end. The low ends are just awful and not cheap enoughh to put up with 'awful' :).
    Then I cant get consistent info on the mid TVs and by time the I find something that starts to look reasonable in LCDs, its only another 15-30% cost to get the OLED so thought sod it, I've had enough of this :)

Its looks like it much easier last year/early this year, or at least LCD TVs seemed better than this year. Was also looking at Samsung, but they seem very overpriced this year, especially the Qs - Q7F nice and bright, but its not a good sign when I can clearly see them blooming in a bright store at that price.

22. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    You made one great choice stay clear of Sony !! They may have great design and their Motionflow is great but Android Platform is just ..well Shxxit! !!

I had a Sony 43X8307C and had nothing but big software issues non-stop.

This year alone Sony screwed up big big time back in February and had to put a major update only days after they posted it .I had serious issues with Sony direct and even John Lewis had a lot of trouble with them .what should be and excellent platform to match Webos is seriously let down by very poor development Sony side and their use of crap sub-par ''mediatek '' chipsets.

Anyway cut along story short ...sorted it with John Lewis and they have been absolutely impeccable with their customer service I have 49SJ800V and totally happy with it !!!

Webos 3.5 totally wipes the floor with Sony Android TV is works so fast fluent and you can feel the QuadCore when switching with any app ...Blimmy if I tired any of that with my old Sony it would crash and re-boot as the CPU Sony use are sooo under powered ...Anyway good luck

23. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    ^ Sony tech is good, but I have to say I hate their platform and have some OCD about the friggin google play button on the remote ;p

TBH - I can never remember decent consumer software of any description from Sony. Odd as their professional stuff is OK though.

Favourite UI is LG though it used to be my most hatred mainly due to it looking like a bad case of google translate from Korean, but that was year ago. Next up is Samsung, but Samsung IR remote language is a bit primitive, so can be annoying with harmony (Sony platform works better with harmony due to much more modern remote language).

24. MikeTVMikeTV

MikeTVMikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Looking at one of the SJ800 for a mate but it turns out it's not really 4K, it's using a sneaky subpixel thingy, it's 2880 instead of 3840, so even though it's a 4k panel the pixels share an underlying substructure so it doesn't meet the requirements set out for 4K, allegedly, all quite complicated.

Anyone had another 4K TV to compare?

https://hdguru.com/lg-4k-lcd-tvs-continue-controversial-rgbw-tech/

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  25. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Very intrested read u must say !!

However as it clearly also states '' LG makes pannels for other manufacturers'' ..So Samsung Panasonic most likely use the same pannels and technology.

I take this statement with a pinch of salt to be honest !!!.

Iv had my LG 49SJ800V for just over 3 weeks now and love it to bits.

Compared to what I had 3 months ago a Sony 43X8307C
    Which was dredful performance with Sony horrible or badly implemented Android TV this LG is streets ahead !!! .

26. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    ''Note: LG Display, which manufactures the LCD panels with RGBW technology for LG Electronics, is one of the world’s largest suppliers of LCD TV panels. It sells RGBW panels to other television manufacturers and brands. So far, none of those panel customers have called out the use of RGBW panels in their 4K Ultra HDTVs in 2016, and most have refused to disclose whether they use RGBW panels or not.''

I have a strong feeling that Samsung and Panasonic or even Hisence most likely use the above and just have kept quite

27. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I would also like to state reading up my self on this ....I'm 50/50 with this statement .

My LG does not suffer any light bleed at all and most likely because they align the strips at the bottom rather than the sides and the has made quite a bit of a difference also blooming also seems to be at a minimal as well my previous Sony was pretty bad at both so even if my Sony used RGB pannel and not RGBW you lost a lot of the quality because of how bad Sony was with bad light bleed at both left and right hand side and blooming as well so you just lost the quality.
    So if means my LG uses RGBW pannel it's a far far better balance. I can't see any loss of quality .
    My LG also seems to give a very very bright and pin sharp picture depends how picky you want to get to each to their own .
    Both HDR and even better Dolby Vison from Netflix is just amazing. .I was soooooooooooooooo impressed with Star Trek Discovery dolby Vison

28. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Well I had the Currys exclusive 810v and returned it due to the DSE,went to a local independent retailer and bought a Bravia that died after two days,it's TWO replacements had bad light bleed so I went for a 800v,first impressions were good,beautiful colours but this one has arguably worse DSE,also today the sound stopped via the hdmi inputs so I'm back to square one.

29. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi Mike ...So you had both pannel very intresting .

I habe to admit I'm a massive star trek fan and been watching the new Star Trek Discovery in Dolby Vison on Netflix and it's just freaking awesome picture quality on the 800V. .

What a shame you have not had the best of luck I'm very happy with the performance with the 800V way way way better than the previous Sony 43X8307C Android TV I had..

Can I also ask as you had both Pannel 810V and 800V you did however notice a fair difference with the pannels you said you noticed quite a difference with the colours with the 800V pannel anything else can I ask ....this must mean that LG in fact are using different pannels for both 800V and 810V ...intresting

Please post any other feedback would be great .

Iv had mine now for just under 3 weeks and so far it's been great and I think the pannel has improved with some use ..

30. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209