LG SR906 or Onkyo HTS3405?

danarama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I feel like I should know the answer to this really, i'm no n00b,

Mother in Law wants to buy Sister in Law an all-in-one 5.1 system for her flat that will also allow her to play her music from her laptop. I am enlisted with helping her choose one. Family-related apocalypse will ensue if I balls it up.

The budget is c£200 and I am thinking this: http://www.richersounds.com/product/...sr906/lg-sr906

or this:
http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/onkyo/hts3405/onky-hts3405-blk

I am assuming she will be able to send audio over HDMI to the receiver from her laptop. Or am I being an ass?

Any other suggestions welcome...

The LG is a nice bit of kit if your sis isn't wanting too much ability, the Onkyo probably pack mores punch/connectivity.........

And I think it may be the laptops responsibility to whether it can output the audio over HDMI...........

Thanks guys.

The laptop is a Packard Bell easy note tk37.
I checked the specs for it and it does have HDMI out, what confuses me is when Richer Sounds and other places say there is no "PC In" or PC connectivity.

I had assumed when they say this that they mean a serial port or RS232 as they both seem to play the expected file types such as MP3 etc?

I just wanted to make sure I am not steering them to something that doesn't do what she wants it to? :)

Think the video and audio cards need to be capable of what you need, so HD is likely, but 5.1......couldn't say.......check to confirm.........

If it does then both the LG and Onkyo should accept it through their HDMI inputs

Thats good enough for me. I think the primary concern is for music through the laptop anyway rather than film.

They can always return it if she doesn't like it eh? :laugh:

Thanks for the assistance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom