LG Spd7y owners thread

Cartmen

Hello

After thinking for a long time about buying a soundbar, I decided to pull the trigger and bought an spd7y soundbar.
I had an old 5.1 surround system and I was afraid that the soundbar would be inferior for not having the rear speakers. I was completely wrong. The soundbar is incredible. I have tested it with Disney+ and Netflix content and even with 5.1 movies like tomorrowland and avatar, the Atmos simulation is incredible.
I'm not a professional but I can really hear objects arround me in the living room when I'm seeing movies or series. I can totally recomend this soundbar to anyone that wants to take his home theater experience to another level.
I know that an Atmos receiver with speakers will be better but it will also cost at least 4 or 5 times more than this soundbar.

After the incredible experience I'm having, I'm very curious about the difference of getting some rear speakers and how much more it could improve the experience. I saw that the compatible ones are the spk8, but I was reading and saw that they have been already already more than 2 years ago. Do you think that LG will upgrade this speakers any time soon? Will a new model be released this year? How much better would the experience be?

I hope this thread will help some indicisive buyers and thanks in advance to anyone that what's to share their opinions about my questions.

steveho

Thanks for the positive review ,I think I’m gettig the new LG sp9

I had a demo in Curry’s of last years model LG SL9YG and it was astonishing as a stand-alone unit

The spk8 surrounds are small in stature and apparently can sound a bit “tinny” from what I’ve been reading however , I did notice that the surrounds that come with sg11 / sp11 are a different beast altogether (larger and more substantial) and I believe have the upfiring speaker inside

The spk8 has a separate receiver unit that you have to connect the speakers too so not truly wireless whereas the others have everything built in - question is are these available separately & would they be compatible with the sp7/9 ?

Cartmen

Thanks for sharing your opinion.
If the SPD7Y is so good, I'm shure the SP9 will be awesome. I got the SPD7Y because is my first atmos soundbar and I didn't want to spend more than 500€.

The spk8 has a separate receiver unit that you have to connect the speakers too so not truly wireless whereas the others have everything built in - question is are these available separately & would they be compatible with the sp7/9 ?

That was exactly my idea. Samsung already has 2 rear speakers that are truly independent from each other and that have upfire speakers (2.0.2).
I don't know if I can post the link to their webpage so I will just say the model which is SWA-9500S, and for just 50$ more than the spk8.
I spent a lot of time over the past week searching and asking on different forums for rumors of something new from LG but I found nothing.
I'm starting to think that best case scenario, they present a new model of rear speakers at CES 2022, but it's a bit frustrating to see Samsung soundbars getting this and LGs don't.
After all I wouldn't like to buy an SPK8 kit for 200€ and in a few months discover that LG have a better kit like Samsung, with a similar price.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom