LG SP8YA Soundbar Review & Comments

Steve Withers

Reviewer
ok. Thank you for looking into this. I really appreciate it.
LG said the new firmware will be released in 'late August', so I'm guessing next week. If I hear anything else I'll let you know.

Wally173

Novice Member
Any updates here?
It appears that you cannot manually force a firmware update. After talking to LG Support it appears they cannot force it to update either. They said one day it will just magically update. Rather frustrating. Would’ve went with another brand if I knew this before buying…

Jarek84

Novice Member
Hello

I have TV LG G1 and I'm going to buy a soundbar. I'm wondering between this one - SP8Y and Fidelio B95. Why? SPY8 is the newest from LG and will be work with my G1 TV, with processor in Alpha in TV. Also LG has more friendly app, one remote control. I know that LG is 3.1.2 and Fidelio is 5.1.2... but I read many bad things about Fidelio :(

I have only 17 square meters in my living room. I affraid about sub from Fidelio (too much bass) and quality in music. Also I heard about of low dialogue quality - maybe because of sub or weak center channel. For me most important thing is mixed usage, and I don't like to many bass.

Can anyone help me with compare these soundbars?

Sory for my english :)

KayaChoo

Novice Member
Hi I have a question. i just bought this soundbar and I’m waiting for it to be delivered. I read somewhere that your tv needs to have dolby Atmos to allow the effect to pass through to the soundbar. Is this true? The thing is, my TV is not Dolby Atmos support, only the soundbar is. Will i still get the dolby Atmos effect? By the way, my set up will be 5.1.2 as LG gave me a free pair of rear speakers. Thank you for your advice.

mhutter79

Does anyone know the version of firmware that we should have so that DV is pass through UB820 and also will this firmware come to the LG SN11RG?

marinpier74

Novice Member
Could anyone help me? I bought this saundbar in early September but from the first day the Dolby atmos is not reproduced, so, under warranty they changed it for me. Unfortunately, with the second saundbar, absolutely nothing has changed. I bought more 2.1 cables as recommended by LG, the TV settings have all been done but nothing, it doesn't work. I am waiting for LG to figure out what to do but in my opinion it is my smart TV LG 49nano 866na. Could anyone help me? Thank you in advance.

outoftheknow

Could anyone help me? I bought this saundbar in early September but from the first day the Dolby atmos is not reproduced, so, under warranty they changed it for me. Unfortunately, with the second saundbar, absolutely nothing has changed. I bought more 2.1 cables as recommended by LG, the TV settings have all been done but nothing, it doesn't work. I am waiting for LG to figure out what to do but in my opinion it is my smart TV LG 49nano 866na. Could anyone help me? Thank you in advance.
Well presuming LG s being competent with their equipment (and I would never assume that - only presume it) I would be doing some substitution testing personally. A bit of a faff but first does an Atmos source plugged into the soundbar give Atmos? If so it is narrowed down to delivery or recognition of Atmos from the eARC input to the soundbar.

Next I would either look for a mate with the smallest eARC capable TV - not a known problematic LG model - to bring it round for a (insert mate’s favourite tipple here and appropriate quantity like case of) and try that. Particularly if did mate has been getting Atmos with any soundbar and can put in the settings they use. This will allow you to narrow down the issue to soundbar or your TV.

Or take the soundbar round a mate’s - easier if an owner here can confirm you don’t need anything except the soundbar for it to at least show Atmos - with an eARC TV as above.

(When you say Atmos isn’t reproduced, do you man displayed and not processed? Or not displayed nor processed)

In the meantime if you give full details of a typical setup with all relevant settings on each device that would help. Otherwise we can only presume LG has ensured you have tried settings that work for some or all owners here.

Is there any difference with DD+ Atmos sources and Dolby True HD sources?

Finally have you tried TV Atmos sources - these will negate the TV passthrough settings and capabilities and restrict issues to the TV internal audio path to the audio return channel. Easier to see the TV digital audio out settings this way and those alone may be causing all digital audio out to be something other than multi-channel or bitstream. Many TVs’ passthrough settings seem to not prevent the TV processing entirely- which for most users is what is expected of that setting. If you have looked at this with LG yet maybe start here before moving on to the substitution stuff above.

marinpier74

Novice Member
Well presuming LG s being competent with their equipment (and I would never assume that - only presume it) I would be doing some substitution testing personally. A bit of a faff but first does an Atmos source plugged into the soundbar give Atmos? If so it is narrowed down to delivery or recognition of Atmos from the eARC input to the soundbar.

Next I would either look for a mate with the smallest eARC capable TV - not a known problematic LG model - to bring it round for a (insert mate’s favourite tipple here and appropriate quantity like case of) and try that. Particularly if did mate has been getting Atmos with any soundbar and can put in the settings they use. This will allow you to narrow down the issue to soundbar or your TV.

Oppure porta la soundbar intorno a un amico - più facile se un proprietario qui può confermare che non hai bisogno di nient'altro che la soundbar per mostrare almeno Atmos - con una TV eARC come sopra.

(Quando dici che Atmos non è riprodotto, lo fai visualizzato e non elaborato? O non visualizzato né elaborato)

Nel frattempo, se fornisci tutti i dettagli di una configurazione tipica con tutte le impostazioni pertinenti su ciascun dispositivo, ciò sarebbe d'aiuto. Altrimenti possiamo solo presumere che LG si sia assicurata che tu abbia provato le impostazioni che funzionano per alcuni o tutti i proprietari qui.

C'è qualche differenza con le sorgenti DD+ Atmos e le sorgenti Dolby True HD?

Finalmente hai provato le sorgenti TV Atmos: queste annulleranno le impostazioni e le capacità del passthrough TV e limiteranno i problemi al percorso audio interno della TV al canale di ritorno audio. È più facile vedere le impostazioni dell'uscita audio digitale della TV in questo modo e quelle da sole potrebbero far sì che l'uscita audio digitale sia qualcosa di diverso dal multicanale o dal flusso di bit. Le impostazioni passthrough di molti televisori sembrano non impedire del tutto l'elaborazione del televisore, che per la maggior parte degli utenti è ciò che ci si aspetta da tale impostazione. Se hai già guardato questo con LG, forse inizia da qui prima di passare alle cose di sostituzione sopra.
il mio problema è molto semplice, ho un televisore LG 49nano 866na Dolby atmos è un saundbar sp8ya che si collega perfettamente tra loro, quando vedo un contenuto in streaming come Netflix con contenuto Dolby atmos, non funziona. Il saundbar invece di impedire tutte le modalità e riprodurre in Dolby atmos non funziona. Purtroppo non ho la possibilità di provarlo con altre fonti ma come pubblicizza LG e come mi è stato detto dal venditore, la saundbar collegata alla TV e con contenuti in streaming in Dolby atmos dovrebbe funzionare. Almeno per gli altri clienti funziona. Penso che ci sia qualcosa di sbagliato nell'output di eARC ...

outoftheknow

il mio problema è molto semplice, ho un televisore LG 49nano 866na Dolby atmos è un saundbar sp8ya che si collega perfettamente tra loro, quando vedo un contenuto in streaming come Netflix con contenuto Dolby atmos, non funziona. Il saundbar invece di impedire tutte le modalità e riprodurre in Dolby atmos non funziona. Purtroppo non ho la possibilità di provarlo con altre fonti ma come pubblicizza LG e come mi è stato detto dal venditore, la saundbar collegata alla TV e con contenuti in streaming in Dolby atmos dovrebbe funzionare. Almeno per gli altri clienti funziona. Penso che ci sia qualcosa di sbagliato nell'output di eARC ...
Apologies but could you please post in English as this site is based in the UK.

There may be an issue with eARC but you will need to go through some fault-finding as I suggested already. Start with streaming from say Netflix on the TV smart hub. Disconnect all HDMI except the cable between TV and sound bar eARC sockets. Make sure the show is in Atmos. make sure TV settings are correct in eARC and for the digital output, and report what they are. If you have fiddled with the sound bar settings reset them or it.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom