LG SP8YA Soundbar Review & Comments

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
What exactly are the DV issues? Does it not pass it at all, or is it a player/device compatibility issue? The lack of HDMI ports is a disappointment, as is the lack of wired sub woofer support. Pity. It’s unlikely to make my list.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
What exactly are the DV issues? Does it not pass it at all, or is it a player/device compatibility issue? The lack of HDMI ports is a disappointment, as is the lack of wired sub woofer support. Pity. It’s unlikely to make my list.
From the review: As with our review of the LG SP11RA, we could pass Dolby Vision using our LG UP970 4K Blu-ray player and Apple TV 4K, but not using our Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray player. These incompatibility issues need to be addressed because Panasonic players are the most popular these days.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Cons, Front-heavy soundstage. Wouldn’t that be an issue with most sound bars?
True, but this soundbar (and many others) is being sold on its ability to decode Atmos and DTS:X, and without rear speakers you simply won't get a genuinely immersive experience. Compared to the SP11 or HW-Q950A, the effects are all in the front third of the room.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I know people complain about lack of space but I am sure with a little bit of willpower and budget, its worth adding 2 rear speakers for a good immersive experience. The rears are like patio doors. Without it, it never feels complete. :)

keithwiggins

Thx Steve, good review, Lgs soundbars really dont deliver as well as Samsungs, which is a shame as more competition is good for the market. you would just think that with Meridians involvement ( guess it depends on what level they are allowed to tweak of course) LG would be knocking out of the park but overall there soundbars really havent scored too well for 3 years or so.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
you would just think that with Meridians involvement ( guess it depends on what level they are allowed to tweak of course) LG would be knocking out of the park
Actually, I had exactly the same thoughts.

As you mentioned - competition is good for the market, as it forces competitors to work harder. If we compare SP8YA to HW-Q800A, the £200 difference might have a significant influence on many potential buyers. Overall - it seems that LG is targeting those who are a little bit more sensitive about the price and Samsung is targeting those who are not.

MikeTVMikeTV

Hopefully be able to get this for £350 around black Friday, I think £599 is way too high considering you need the rears as well.

keithwiggins

Actually, I had exactly the same thoughts.

As you mentioned - competition is good for the market, as it forces competitors to work harder. If we compare SP8YA to HW-Q800A, the £200 difference might have a significant influence on many potential buyers. Overall - it seems that LG is targeting those who are a little bit more sensitive about the price and Samsung is targeting those who are not.
You are probably right, but i really do think given whats really in a soundbar that a few bucks more spent , could result in a far better range, of course that pretty much goes for all of the soundbar manufactures .
As my old boss used to say, "it would be cheap if it wasnt for the profit"

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
You are probably right, but i really do think given whats really in a soundbar that a few bucks more spent , could result in a far better range, of course that pretty much goes for all of the soundbar manufactures .
As my old boss used to say, "it would be cheap if it wasnt for the profit"
You're absolutely right. Nevertheless, we, as audio enthusiasts, see the world differently. We do care about details and there will be no compromise on the subject of quality. Some people, on the other hand, are just enjoying "having stuff". And, as my old boss used to say, "the world would be so boring if we all liked the same girl" 😄

RMGEE

I received mine today, was going to buy the Sonos Arc but thought I'd be better off buying this to go with my LG CX as I shouldn't have too many compatibility issues. How wrong was I!

I set it up OK, connected to my TV, wifi etc... Switched on eArc and got sound which was a good sign, I then tried to adjust the volume with my TV remote but nothing happened, I got a volume +/- icon on the right of the screen but it didn't change the volume on the soundbar. I then tried turning the TV off but the soundbar stayed on.

I've tried different hdmi cables that say they're eArc compatible, unplugged everything for a few minutes and even reset my TV but nothing worked. I assumed that when I plugged the soundbar in that the TV would just recognise it like it does with Sky Q/Xbox SX/PS5 but it doesn't.

I've tried to update the firmware but can't see a way to do it, I've got the LG Soundbar app which shows the current version but no option to update. I've checked the LG website but there isn't any updates listed.

RMGEE

Does anyone know how to update the firmware on this?

I've downloaded the LG Soundbar app and can see the version but no option to update, I've also tried the ThinQ app but it can't see the device. I've checked the LG website but no updates are available.

TIA

Last edited:

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I thought it was the Soundbar app as well, but it might be the Google Home app. Have you tried that app?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I received mine today, was going to buy the Sonos Arc but thought I'd be better off buying this to go with my LG CX as I shouldn't have too many compatibility issues. How wrong was I!

I set it up OK, connected to my TV, wifi etc... Switched on eArc and got sound which was a good sign, I then tried to adjust the volume with my TV remote but nothing happened, I got a volume +/- icon on the right of the screen but it didn't change the volume on the soundbar. I then tried turning the TV off but the soundbar stayed on.

I've tried different hdmi cables that say they're eArc compatible, unplugged everything for a few minutes and even reset my TV but nothing worked. I assumed that when I plugged the soundbar in that the TV would just recognise it like it does with Sky Q/Xbox SX/PS5 but it doesn't.

I've tried to update the firmware but can't see a way to do it, I've got the LG Soundbar app which shows the current version but no option to update. I've checked the LG website but there isn't any updates listed.
I use an LG C9 and given I review a lot of soundbars I have found it to be a bit flakey when it comes to ARC. It's always hard to tell with ARC whether the problem lies with the TV or the soundbar, but in this case it might be the CX rather than the SP8YA. Having said that you'd think LG would ensure their own equipment is compatible.

RMGEE

I use an LG C9 and given I review a lot of soundbars I have found it to be a bit flakey when it comes to ARC. It's always hard to tell with ARC whether the problem lies with the TV or the soundbar, but in this case it might be the CX rather than the SP8YA. Having said that you'd think LG would ensure their own equipment is compatible.
Thanks for the reply.

All I want is for the sound bar to power on/off with the tv and to be able to control the volume with the tv remote, surely that should just work as standard?

I’m really pleased with the sound though, watched the Martian last night in Atmos and it sounded great.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Just tried it, it lists the firmware version (2102020) but no way to update.
Weird. I'd suggest checking in one of the LG soundbar owner threads, I'm sure they'll be able to help.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Thanks for the reply.

All I want is for the sound bar to power on/off with the tv and to be able to control the volume with the tv remote, surely that should just work as standard?

I’m really pleased with the sound though, watched the Martian last night in Atmos and it sounded great.
You should be able to power on and off with the TV and control the volume with the TV remote, I certainly could with the C9 and the SP8. Again it might be worth checking in the LG soundbar owners threads and the CX owners thread for advice.

RMGEE

You should be able to power on and off with the TV and control the volume with the TV remote, I certainly could with the C9 and the SP8. Again it might be worth checking in the LG soundbar owners threads and the CX owners thread for advice.
Thank you for the advice, it seems you were correct, it was the CX.

Someone else had the same issue but with a different soundbar, the thing that stood out was they had the same devices connected (Sky Q, XBSX & PS5)

I tried powering off everything and unplugged all HDMI cables except for the sound bar, when I powered it back on the soundbar said "connected" which it hasn't before, I checked to see if I could change the volume and power it on/off with the TV remote and it worked perfectly.

I connected each device back up to the TV but left the Sky Q box until last, I think it may have been the Sky box causing the issue because when I reconnected it I had a message pop up asking if I'd like to setup the remote quickly followed by another message saying it was setup and ready to use.

It now all works as it should, thanks again for taking the time help.

Rich

Steve Withers

Reviewer
LG has just released new firmware that fixes the Dolby Vision compatibility issues with Panasonic 4K disc players.

Wally173

Novice Member
LG has just released new firmware that fixes the Dolby Vision compatibility issues with Panasonic 4K disc players.
Can you please tell me the version # of this new firmware and how to get it? The lg website support section has no firmware for the SP8YA and the app doesn’t find new firmware either. I am currently on MAIN FW 2104190 / MICOM FW 2104211 per the app

thanks

Steve Withers

Reviewer
It's possible they haven't actually released the firmware yet, and just sent me a soundbar running a beta version. I'll check with LG.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+