Quantcast

Question LG Soundbar + LG TV, Audio sync issues? (SL8YG)

samclarke669

Novice Member
I have an LG 49UJ651V and an SL8YG... My setup is HDMI arc connecting the soundbar to the TV, with an Apple TV plugged into the passthrough.

I noticed the audio being slightly out of sync, so I went into the TV menu and messed with the sync option, but nothing changed.

When I watched Netflix built into my TV (not via the Apple TV) when I changed the sync settings either up or down, there was a momentary gap in the audio whilst it fixed the delay...This doesn't happen with the return ARC port, but does with other inputs.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to start? It's kind of tricking my brain whichever setting I try and I can't shake the fact there's a delay!

My old soundbar was connected via optical (LG Sound Sync) and there was no problem

I guess my questions are...does the sound sync not matter when connected to the passthrough/return port on the soundbar? and does anyone have any good starting tips when messing with sound sync?
Thanks in advance!

samclarke669

Novice Member
Ok, potentially an update, unless my brain is tricking me...When I’m viewing content natively on my TV, iE through the YouTube LG app, NOT Apple TV it’s in sync. My settings are “AV Sync Adjustment” on, and Bypass on too....Not sure if they’re cancelling each other out, but it looks and sounds right.

However...When i play the same video on the Apple TV, it almost seems like it floats in and out of sync, which surely can’t happen! I’ve also noticed there’s an AV adjustment in the LG sound bar app (which isn’t accessible on the remote)...not sure if this differs from the av sync adjustment on the tv...

I’m so confused!

Aryn86

ARC is massive headache, I'd stick to the optical connection for most stuff, on my Samsung K850 I only ever use the HDMI connections when I'm playing/watching a game/movie on my Xbox One S so I can get the full lossless audio including atmos but with the inbuilt app for netflix and regular TV the optical connection serves me fine.

samclarke669

Novice Member
Although when I select ‘LG sound sync optical’ in my tv menu. It’s in sync. But the audio is locked to 2.1 with no Dolby support

Clem_Dye

The lip sync thing is a nightmare and I’m struggling with it. Unfortunately, too late for me to send the TV back ... True Motion = Clear helps. I found no difference using the Bypass option, or if there was, it was very slight. Older LG TVs had a negative lip sync adjustment, from what I can make out, but all of my kit is positive only, which is hopeless.

Clem

nr2019

Standard Member
I have an LG 49UK8500PLA and Sonos Beam soundbar and have a very similar problem when watching Dolby Digital content from Sky Q. The picture is fractionally ahead of the sound, so that sound is noticeably out of sync, and no amount of tinkering will rectify this. I've spoken to Sky, LG and Sonos and no one is willing to take ownership of the issue. The problem doesn't occur with Dolby Digital sound from the TV's own tuner or apps (eg Netflix) and it doesn't occur when using the TV's internal speakers. LG's response was to send me a link to a Dolby Developer page which says

'The HDMI specification includes an auto-lip-sync parameter that is intended to address this problem. In an ideal world, each device in an HDMI chain is supposed to report its latency and effective lip sync delay (the difference between audio and video caused by these processing latencies), and the first device in the HDMI chain should compensate for all of the latency values reported by all of the downstream devices. For example, if I had a set top box connected to a television, and then a sound bar connected to that television over HDMI ARC, the set-top box box should compensate for the video latency of the television, and the audio delay of BOTH the television and the sound bar. This would guarantee that both the picture and sound were reproduced at the same time.
Unfortunately, sink devices today don’t typically include the HDMI auto-lip-sync parameter, and even if this parameter is made available, source devices don’t use that parameter when calculating audio/video sync.'

Which seems to be a technical way of saying there's not much chance of getting it sorted.

Kev2018

Standard Member
Any more update on this? I'm considering purchasing the SL8YG to connect to my Panasonic TV but bit concerned of the lip sync issue as I also have a Apple 4k TV box.

Kev

mrgadget351

Novice Member
Hi guys.

I thought I'd join the forum hoping to help some of you. I have just purchased the LG SL8YG sound bar and have had the syncing issues with no amount of adjustments making a jot of difference. I was aware of the LG speaker app but for the life of me couldn't get it to connect to my wifi or sound bar. You can see on the Apple store that the comments for the app are pretty dire because it doesn't work. I also tried the android version on an a tablet with no joy.
I thought there might be an option in the app to update the firmware. Anyway, after a lot of messing about I discovered how to get it to work. First off, you need to install the Google Home app and register the sound bar. Next, install the LG Wifi speaker app. Load the Google home app and select the sound bar, hit the settings cog in the right hand corner and scroll down, you will see an option to launch the LG Wi Fi speaker app from there. When the LG Wi fi speaker app loads, hit the settings cog and here you will see all the options to adjust the setting of the sound bar, including the AV sync. Mine was set to 300. When I adjusted the slider to 0, BINGO. Sync problem solved. I'm not sure if this method will work for all of you, (I actually have a brand new LG TV as well) and it was so frustrating.
Best of luck.

Just to add, I had the sync options with everything. Sky Q, 4k Blu-ray, player, Apple TV and installed apps. The problem has been solved with all of them. Phew! The sound bar was on the verge of taking flying lessons!

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

You shouldn’t have to jump through hoops like that just to be able to access basic system settings.

Clem

Kev2018

Standard Member
Thanks for the info @mrgadget351 and welcome to the forum!

I myself have discovered that he soundbar is too big for the tv cabinet i have and ultimately the space available so am looking at a Sonos beam or Bose 500 at the moment and ultimately will way up if its worth the money or just live with the TV speakers until such time as I upgrade the TV (no plans at the moment as only bought it last year) but when I ultimately do, maybe i'll look at getting a TV & soundbar together as the smaller soundbars wont do ATmos/DTS:X so not sure how feasible they are long term as no doubt they will add those to these smaller soundbars in due course.

Kev

MJ9264

I think from the C8 audio sync thread we established the TV is slow to process the sound for optical/hdmi out. I have a B8 and have same issue.
This seems odd considering the picture needs more processing so should lag behind the audio (which audio sync features are there to fix).

here is a video to test lip syncing delay.

According to above test my audio lags 160ms+ behind the picture. Considering the picture input lag (trumotion off) according to RTings is approx 50ms that’s a total of over 210ms input lag for audio alone! which is just crazy.

Thoughts on this is that’s it’s an LG TV issue, many people route things through the AVR or soundbar inputs so Audio is received directly without having to be processed by TV which solves the problem. I am really annoyed by this.

Trending threads

Top Bottom