LG Sound Bar be better than a 5.1 home cinema

Simon Belmont

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've never used a sound bar before. Are they easy to setup? I would like all the devices to get sound through the sound bar? I use a optical cable from home cinema to TV right now to achieve.

I have a 5.1 home cinema and it sounds great, but getting a new LG OLED CX 48" TV and I know the LG SL8YG is the right size for this TV. Is it worth it? I also hear you can add rear speakers as well with these LG SL8YG for full suround. I guess I would like to know if it would be better then a traditional 5.1 suround? My 5.1 now is 1000 watts

Cheers

It does depend on the bar and your 5.1 system. I'm guessing you have what's known as a Home Theatre in a Box.

Is a soundbar better than separates as in an AVR and good quality speakers?

Not a chance.

Is a mid-range, modern Atmos soundbar with rear speakers better than a Home Theatre in a Box.

Very possibly.

It does depend on the bar and your 5.1 system. I'm guessing you have what's known as a Home Theatre in a Box.

Is a soundbar better than separates as in an AVR and good quality speakers?

Not a chance.

Is a mid-range, modern Atmos soundbar with rear speakers better than a Home Theatre in a Box.

Very possibly.

I use a Sony BDV-E370 and I've had it for years. I use it through my TV in optical and gives DD and DTS through that to all devices. I have 10 items hooked up and all work, but was looking at something new that's smaller ,but give the same or better sound.

Was looking at LG SL8YG (which would fit my new lg oled cx 48" TV size) and LG SPK8 2.0 Wireless Rear Speakers. Or is there better rear speaker then those?

Would this setup be worth it? I would like to get something more under£350 or £300 if I could?

Cheers

Last edited:
No soundbars can match separates - this is mostly true but what if you had teeny tiny speakers as separates with very poor frequency response.

I am not sure if an entry level soundbar will fit your bill. If you want immersion then rear speakers are must. Having rear height speakers further elevates the immersion factor depending upon your room layout.

I haven't listened to either to be honest but it's as I suspected, an all in one Home theatre kit.

It will probably be about the same. The bar has Atmos and probably more advanced processing so should give some decent immersion. I'd probably rather have the bar than the Sony if it's getting on.

Or is there better rear speaker then those?

You're stuck with LG and what is compatible in their speaker range. Nothing else will work.

I haven't listened to either to be honest but it's as I suspected, an all in one Home theatre kit.

It will probably be about the same. The bar has Atmos and probably more advanced processing so should give some decent immersion. I'd probably rather have the bar than the Sony if it's getting on.

You're stuck with LG and what is compatible in their speaker range. Nothing else will work.

Will those rear speakers be good as rear surround?

Maybe I should try to look out for this set up second hand. Might be worth it then. Is it easy to set up for all my devices to come out of the speakers? Like I said I use an optical from my home cinema to the TV and everything works. How would I do that for this soundbar? Cheers for helping me out

Will those rear speakers be good as rear surround?

I wouldn't imagine they'll be any worse than what you currently have but all these systems are a compromise.

Maybe I should try to look out for this set up second hand. Might be worth it then. Is it easy to set up for all my devices to come out of the speakers? Like I said I use an optical from my home cinema to the TV and everything works. How would I do that for this soundbar? Cheers for helping me out

What devices do you have?

The LG has an optical input as well, but optical has a limit of basic 5.1 no Atmos, DTS-HD MA etc.

If you have more than one source with 4K that's going to present an issue with HDR as it only has one HDMI input.

I wouldn't imagine they'll be any worse than what you currently have but all these systems are a compromise.

What devices do you have?

The LG has an optical input as well, but optical has a limit of basic 5.1 no Atmos, DTS-HD MA etc.

If you have more than one source with 4K that's going to present an issue with HDR as it only has one HDMI input.

I guess I would only use the atmos for my zappiti mini 4k hdr. I would hook that up through hdmi? And for other decives I have about 7 consoles if not more. So for me to understand I would just use the atmos for the zappiti player through hdmi and the others optical. Is that right?

Yup that's correct. Ignore my HDR comment. It was a brain fart moment.

You probably won't get Atmos though through streaming apps on the TV though, only via your Zappitti. I could be wrong on that one.

Yup that's correct. Ignore my HDR comment. It was a brain fart moment.

You probably won't get Atmos though through streaming apps on the TV though, only via your Zappitti. I could be wrong on that one.
You can get Atmos from streaming apps. Apps like Netflix, Prime, and Disney+ use DD+. Dolby Digital + can carry Atmos metadata (lossy), although it won't be the same lossless quality you get from blu ray or UHD. That's only if you connect via ARC or eARC though, optical can't carry Atmos content.

Your lg cx has eARC and I'm pretty sure all the soundbars you've mentioned at least have ARC. So you shouldn't need optical. If both your tv and soundbar have eARC, you can hook just about anything to your tv and be okay. If that's still not enough HDMI in's you can always get a 4k HDMI splitter. If the bar just has ARC it only really matters for lossless audio which can't be passed over ARC. Most bars have one or two extra HDMI ins so you can just plug your blu ray player right into the bar anyway. So with the tv and bar combined you probably will have like 5-8 HDMI ins. Add a 4k splitter and you should be able to get to 10 pretty easily

I've heard mixed things about last year's LG soundbars. They're more expensive now, but maybe take a look at the sn8yg or sn9yg, which I think have a better track record. I've heard positive things about the sound quality in Samsung soundbars in the that price range too (q70r, q80r, q60r). Rtings does in depth reviews you might find useful. It also seems like you get a lot for your money with the vizio soundbars. The sb36512-f6 with rears included is about $500.

If you want surround sound though, your going to get better sound with systems that come with rear speakers (sn11rg, q90r), but you'll pay a significant amount more. The sn11rg and q90r both have upfiring speakers on their rears that aren't included in the add on rear speaker sets like the spk8's. They make a difference. The sn11rg handles surround and Atmos content about as well as a soundbar can.

Last edited:
You can get Atmos from streaming apps. Apps like Netflix, Prime, and Disney+ use DD+. Dolby Digital + can carry Atmos metadata (lossy), although it won't be the same lossless quality you get from blu ray or UHD. That's only if you connect via ARC or eARC though, optical can't carry Atmos content. Your lg cx has eARC and I'm pretty sure all the soundbars you've mentioned at least have ARC. So you shouldn't need optical

I've heard mixed things about last year's LG soundbars. They're more expensive now, but maybe take a look at the sn8yg or sn9yg, which I think have a better track record. I've heard positive things about the sound quality in Samsung soundbars in the that price range too (q70r, q80r, q60r). Rtings does in depth reviews you might find useful. It also seems like you get a lot for your money with the vizio soundbars. The sb36512-f6 with rears included is about $500.

If you want surround sound though, your going to get better sound with systems that come with rear speakers (sn11rg, q90r), but you'll pay a significant amount more. The sn11rg and q90r both have upfiring speakers on their rears that aren't included in the add on rear speaker sets like the spk8's. They make a difference. The sn11rg handles surround and Atmos content about as well as a soundbar can.

My console don't have arc. I was going to use a optical cable for the consoles. PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, My RPI4 even some retro consoles that have a hdmi adaptor like sega saturn. and my Analogue Super NT and Mega SG, I have all those hooked up right now through my all in one home cinema. I wanted to do this with this sound bar. Use arc for atmos for tv apps and zappiti and use optical for my consoles. I have a harmony remote elite to switch between them when I need too. This should work? If not I'll just get a slightly better all in one system then I have now? Still up in the air tbh. Near £600 is far too much atm. Maybe I can find one cheaper second hand. I see one on here , but the seller is from Ireland. I think I need to think about it a little more.

Cheers for the feedback

My console don't have arc. I was going to use a optical cable for the consoles. PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, My RPI4 even some retro consoles that have a hdmi adaptor like sega saturn. and my Analogue Super NT and Mega SG, I have all those hooked up right now through my all in one home cinema. I wanted to do this with this sound bar. Use arc for atmos for tv apps and zappiti and use optical for my consoles. I have a harmony remote elite to switch between them when I need too. This should work? If not I'll just get a slightly better all in one system then I have now? Still up in the air tbh. Near £600 is far too much atm. Maybe I can find one cheaper second hand. I see one on here , but the seller is from Ireland. I think I need to think about it a little more.

Cheers for the feedback
The consoles don’t have to have ARC, just tv and soundbar. As long as they have HDMI outs you should be okay to plug them in to either tv or soundbar. If they just have optical, that’s an issue that your solution should solve I think

The consoles don’t have to have ARC, just tv and soundbar. As long as they have HDMI outs you should be okay to plug them in to either tv or soundbar. If they just have optical, that’s an issue that your solution should solve I think

so I can use both hdmi arc and optical? I’ll just switch between them as needed.

Cheers

so I can use both hdmi arc and optical? I’ll just switch between them as needed.

Cheers
Yes, just not at the same time I think. I’ve never tried that exact setup, so I don’t know for sure

Yes, just not at the same time I think. I’ve never tried that exact setup, so I don’t know for sure

I wouldn’t use them at the same time. Just so I can use them both at any given time. I gave in and bought the LG SL8YG. Now just need to get the rear speakers. I think after 10 years it’s time to let my old home cinema go and lay it to rest.

Thank you guys for all the help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom