1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG - some reassuring consensus at last - well maybe?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bigtired, Apr 14, 2005.

1. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I enjoy this Forum and have monitored its contributions for some months now.

I have been sitting on the fence re buying a budget plasma because of conflicting 'expert' opinions. It would appear that the LG is now getting some qualified thumbs up as long as you get one with the right firmware.

As a simple person I have read that just buying a LG plasma and hooking it up is not straight-forward - its not plug and play. I have read threads which were beyond me regarding hooking up various bits of av, picture settings etc. I live in Wrexham (North Wales). Is there any expert locally that could install a plasma after I have bought it e.g. LG from JL and if so how much would it cost me?

Thanks

Justin

2. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    simply buy good scart cable for sky, good svideo or scart 4 dvd player or get1 with componant or dvi. u need no more than good cables mate thats it, run it in for bout a week then run thx optimizer from a disk like star wars etc
    ull be pleased with the results and so will every1 else that comes round, and ur bank balance will still be happy too

3. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Justin,

I live just up the road from you in Mold - I am happy with my LG, the main clincher for me was VFM - I got JL Liverpool to price match with Crampton and Moore and got the 5 year warranty - for just over £1300. I have said before that there are better screens out there but you start adding mega bucks which takes them above the 2k level to start getting a match on features (ie PW7 - annd boards, speakers and warranty and you must be about the 2k4 margin - over a grand difference), oh also the Wife factor who does not want to be messing about with amps etc to watch her soaps!!!! If you want to see my LG give me a PM and I can arrange for you to nipp up and see

Cheers

Lawrenso

4. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Justin - the LG is plug and play, as someone else said buy some decent scart leads and the place you buy it from should set it up for you if they don't go somewhere else, then all you have to do is play with the colour, contrast settings etc which anyone can do, If you get stuck come on this forum for advice.

5. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    RossP

If I price match with JL to get the 5 year warranty presumably, do they do an install. Playing with the contrast etc looks scary to me - I have seen the previous threads on here with pictures re theset up menus that frightened the living daylights out of me

6. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Justin- The menu you have seen pictures of on another thread is a technical menu, You don't have to go into those menus at all if you don't want to. All you do to adjust contrast, Colour, brightness, sharpness is press Menu once on the remote and an onscreen menu comes up ( like any TV ), press the down arrow to go to where it says picture and then press left or right to adjust and then OK to set, if you need help on settings just ask on here. :)

Ross

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    as long as you make a note of where you started you can't go too far wrong