LG SN7Y Optical Input

jeffusher

Novice Member
I've had an LG SN7Y Atmos sound bar for a few months now. Overall I am very impressed with it. Atmos and general surround is the best I have had to date for the budget. Indeed I use the Force Ghosts ending to Rise of Skywalker as an Atmos reference as it's channel separation with each of the voices is superb.

However, one thing really annoys me and I've not seen this on any other sound bar. The fact that you can't use ARC and Optical inputs separately. They are on the same input selector and ARC takes priority over optical.

This is really bugging me as I want to use optical out direct from SkyQ to the bar, I have no use for Atmos on Sky and the optical connection will stop the horrendous sound dropouts on SkyQ via HDMI. But I also require ARC from the TV to watch Netflix and Disney+ with Atmos via the apps.

But this configuration simply won't work as ARC and Optical are on the same input, with ARC taking priority.

Anyone got any suggestions if there is a way around this?

It would surely have made much more sense to have the Optical input as a separate input on its own, like 99.9% of all the other sound bars.

Regards

Jeff

outoftheknow

But this configuration simply won't work as ARC and Optical are on the same input, with ARC taking priority.
I would have thought this was the way the majority of ARC enabled AV units were? TVs do the same fkr the audio output?

you can’t listen to two audio sources at the same time - so why is it an issue? May be misunderstanding bit is the issue that you have to power off the device you don’t want to hear?

This is really bugging me as I want to use optical out direct from SkyQ to the bar, I have no use for Atmos on Sky and the optical connection will stop the horrendous sound dropouts on SkyQ via HDMI. But I also require ARC from the TV to watch Netflix and Disney+ with Atmos via the apps.
AFAIK you can simply connect things up and do this? SkyQ optical for audio to soundbar and HDMI for video to TV. I presume you can set the audio for that HDMI input to the TV to not passthrough? HDMI between soundbar output to TV input marked ARC for audio from TV apps to soundbar.

I can see there may be challenges in settings (possibly - hard to work out) but I am not sure it is entirely the fault of the single Din input on the soundbar……

jeffusher

Novice Member
you can’t listen to two audio sources at the same time - so why is it an issue?

I'm not trying to listen to two audio sources at the same time. Arc is coming from the TV via HDMI, optical from the back of the SkyQ box directly into the optical in on the sound bar. Surely when selecting inputs on sound bars you can normally select optical as it's own unique input channel?

It seems LG are assuming you will only use optical out from a TV so have chosen to put ARC and Optical as the same input.

Perhaps I'm not explaining very well.

Jeff

outoftheknow

Surely when selecting inputs on sound bars you can normally select optical as it's own unique input channel?
Not really. Many have one input setting of Din. As I said you can’t listen to both at the same time. If you have the SkyQ box connected to the TV and optical from SkyQ to the soundbar, you need to be careful with settings since there is then a chance the audio from the SkyQ is delivered to the TV which then sends through ARC to the soundbar. If SkyQ also sends audio via optical then and only then will the soundbar get two audio inputs on the one setting.

JonBaker666

Novice Member
I also have the same problem with sound cutting out when watching sky Q. I have the same sound bar as you and a LG CX TV. Have you found a way to stop this??

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I also have the same problem with sound cutting out when watching sky Q. I have the same sound bar as you and a LG CX TV. Have you found a way to stop this??
That's not caused by your TV or soundbar.
It's a well-known fault found on some versions of the Sky Q box and is being addressed by Sky with software updates.
Head over to our Sky TV forum where there is a long thread on the subject.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC/Optical - more common than you would think to have these as a 'shared' input, manufacturers such as SONOS take it a step further and Optical is only an option if you use the supplied converter. It is all down to costs.

Source > TV > Soundbar - I take it no support for Atmos if you connect the Source to the TV via HDMI and then the TV Optical Out to the Soundbar?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom