LG SN7CY Setup Questions

smythc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a LG UHD TV and have just bought a LG SN7CY soundbar which I must say is great. However I have a couple of questions regarding my setup to ensure I am getting the best sound.

My TV has 1 ARC HDMI and 1 regular HDMI port (annoying) and the same goes for the soundbar. My current setup is that the TV ARC port connects to the soundbar ARC port and then the Sky Q box connects to the regular HDMI port on the TV. Doing this seems to set the soundbar to ARC and allow me to enjoy the Sky Q with Atmos enabled.

However, for all my other devices, PS4 and Nvidia Shield more importantly, these connect to a Switch box and the Switch box to the second regular HDMI port on the soundbar. The soundbar then displays HDMI when one of these devices is on, however I am unsure if I am getting Atmos from the Shield if its just via the regular HDMI port ?

So my question is, should I just plug all devices, Sky Q included into the Switch box and connect it to the regular HDMI on the TV which then should have them all on ARC on the soundbar ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Colm

Bump....80 views and no replies....am I talking rubbish or no one have any advice ?

Hi. If you tv earc or just arc? I’m guessing earc if you are getting sky q atmos working.
Does the display on the front say atmos when you play atmos titles? This is the only true way you know it’s coming through. I have the SN9 so a bit different to your model.

Hi. If you tv earc or just arc? I’m guessing earc if you are getting sky q atmos working.
Does the display on the front say atmos when you play atmos titles? This is the only true way you know it’s coming through. I have the SN9 so a bit different to your model.
Hi thanks for the reply....

The TV have ARC only I believe, it's a few years old now.

I've not actually found any Sky Q Atmos programs yet so the sound bar just says ARC on it... The effect options are AI, Bass, Blast, Movie and Music... Not sure it will ever day Atmos.

My Hdmi switch box is a bit faulty so I need to sort that, new in on order but I just want to check if my logic makes sense I guess...

So my question is, should I just plug all devices, Sky Q included into the Switch box and connect it to the regular HDMI on the TV which then should have them all on ARC on the soundbar ?
The soundbar has 1 HDMI input and 1 output. The output is ARC so audio coming back from the TV Is an input to that.

Whether you connect all devices to the TV inputs of the soundbar input will depend on the audio and video capabilities of the soundbar and TV and what you value most from those things.

If the soundbar passes all the video features you want from the HDMI input to its HDMI output (and therefore into the TV) and the TV can use all those, then use the soundbar input. That will input all audio straight to soundbar so it will play whatever it is capable of playing.

If the soundbar HDMI input and output can’t pass a video feature you “must have” - say HDR10+ and/or Dolby Vision - then plug a device that can deliver those video features into the TV HDMI input. Or devices using a switch as you do with the soundbar now. However the audio that can get to the soundbar will be limited by the capability of the ARC. ATMOS can be delivered over ARC as long as it is lossy in a DD+Bitstream. Your TV may take some audio inputs and only deliver something lesser over ARC. You will get your “must have” video feature but may not get the best audio the device is capable of delivering, and that the soundbar is capable of processing and deliver to the speakers from its HDMI input.

If you have eARC on the TV and soundbar, eARC can send full fat ATMOS from the TV to the soundbar if the device delivers it. In theory all devices can be connected to the TV since that ensures best video input to the TV and the best audio the soundbar can use is sent to the soundbar.

However - in some cases connecting to the TV, evenwith audio set to passthrough to eARC/ARC, can cause the audio to lag the video. There is no audio adjustment for that so if that occurs the devices should be connected to the soundbar. Audio may be ahead of video this way but that is a setting - audio can be delayed on the soundbar settings if required.

If you have ARC on a soundbar capable of lossless multichannel 7.a and the audio is more important to you than a high level video feature, connected all to the soundbar. if you must have the high level video feature of a device and only the TV input supports that feature, connected that device to the TV. Put up with whatever lesser audio you end up with and possibly audio that lags the video and can’t be synched.

The soundbar has 1 HDMI input and 1 output. The output is ARC so audio coming back from the TV Is an input to that.

Whether you connect all devices to the TV inputs of the soundbar input will depend on the audio and video capabilities of the soundbar and TV and what you value most from those things.

If the soundbar passes all the video features you want from the HDMI input to its HDMI output (and therefore into the TV) and the TV can use all those, then use the soundbar input. That will input all audio straight to soundbar so it will play whatever it is capable of playing.

If the soundbar HDMI input and output can’t pass a video feature you “must have” - say HDR10+ and/or Dolby Vision - then plug a device that can deliver those video features into the TV HDMI input. Or devices using a switch as you do with the soundbar now. However the audio that can get to the soundbar will be limited by the capability of the ARC. ATMOS can be delivered over ARC as long as it is lossy in a DD+Bitstream. Your TV may take some audio inputs and only deliver something lesser over ARC. You will get your “must have” video feature but may not get the best audio the device is capable of delivering, and that the soundbar is capable of processing and deliver to the speakers from its HDMI input.

If you have eARC on the TV and soundbar, eARC can send full fat ATMOS from the TV to the soundbar if the device delivers it. In theory all devices can be connected to the TV since that ensures best video input to the TV and the best audio the soundbar can use is sent to the soundbar.

However - in some cases connecting to the TV, evenwith audio set to passthrough to eARC/ARC, can cause the audio to lag the video. There is no audio adjustment for that so if that occurs the devices should be connected to the soundbar. Audio may be ahead of video this way but that is a setting - audio can be delayed on the soundbar settings if required.

If you have ARC on a soundbar capable of lossless multichannel 7.a and the audio is more important to you than a high level video feature, connected all to the soundbar. if you must have the high level video feature of a device and only the TV input supports that feature, connected that device to the TV. Put up with whatever lesser audio you end up with and possibly audio that lags the video and can’t be synched.

Thanks for the detailed reply....much appreciated....

For me, my TV is 4K UHD but does not have HDR etc....a year older than when that arrived.

So for me, my inputs to the switch box are all 4K, Shield, PS4 Sky@ etc and SkyQ and Shield with Atmos.....so I am happy that so long as that the Atmos signal will come through the Switch box.

So Devices ==> Switch Box ==> Normal HDMI on TV, then TV ARC ==> Soundbar ARC

Seems like this should then allow me to get Atmos from any device on the Switch that has Atmos, the switch is 4k 60 with HDMI 2.1 (HDCP 2.3) support same as soundbar

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom