LG SN11RG Soundbar Review & Comments

Hi all. 2 quick questions. I have a pair of surround speakers that were sent to me by lg as I had an issue when I had my sn11..since then the sb has gone back and lg have asked me to dispose of the speakers. But there brand new can I sell them and how much. Also would these pair with another sound bar?.

Review is at best incomplete.
This soundbar only supports dolby vision passthrough to select 4k ultrahd bluray players (read from LG).I have tested UB820 used in this review and the 4k ultrahd player does not passthrough dolby vision to SN11RG. This review suggests it works with UB820, and therefore is either incomplete (avforums never tested to connect it to the soundbar) or is not relevant anymore after firmware update.

@Steve Withers did you have any issues with Dolby Vision passthrough with the UB820 plugged directly into the soundbar or did you use the TV's eARC?
A few of us owners are having trouble with LG blaming Panasonic.

@Steve Withers did you have any issues with Dolby Vision passthrough with the UB820 plugged directly into the soundbar or did you use the TV's eARC?
A few of us owners are having trouble with LG blaming Panasonic.
I didn't have any issues passing Dolby Vision, but now I think about it I had the UB820 connected to the TV to test passing Atmos back via eARC and an LG UP970 connected directly to the SN11 to check Dolby Vision passthrough. I have connected the UB820 directly to other LG soundbars and passed Dolby Vision without any issues. What problems are you having with Dolby Vision on the SN11, and why is LG blaming Panasonic?

@Steve Withers A few of us have confirmed that we cannot get Dolby Vision UHDs to play in DV if the UB820 is connected directly to the SNRG11. They only display in HDR. I had this with THE DEER HUNTER and 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.
If I connect the UB820 to my LGC9 it passes Dolby Vision without issue. Directly to the sound bar no dice.
LG have passed the buck and said it is Panasonic's issue. This doesn't explain why the LGC9 displays DV from the UB820 perfectly if connected to it though?

Last edited:
I didn't have any issues passing Dolby Vision, but now I think about it I had the UB820 connected to the TV to test passing Atmos back via eARC and an LG UP970 connected directly to the SN11 to check Dolby Vision passthrough. I have connected the UB820 directly to other LG soundbars and passed Dolby Vision without any issues. What problems are you having with Dolby Vision on the SN11, and why is LG blaming Panasonic?
It’s in the owner’s thread Steve

Edit - that is teh last page and not necessarily the post(s) that mention it - it kind of pops up like many topics is in the owners threads :)

@Steve Withers A few of us have confirmed that we cannot get Dolby Vision UHDs to play in DV if the UB820 is connected directly to the SNRG11. They only display in HDR. I had this with THE DEER HUNTER and 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.
If I connect the UB820 to my LGC9 it passes Dolby Vision without issue. Directly to the sound bar no dice.
LG have passed the buck and said it is Panasonic's issue. This doesn't explain why the LGC9 displays DV from the UB820 perfectly if connected to it though?
LG's claim doesn't make any sense, either a soundbar can pass Dolby Vision or it can't, the brand of player shouldn't make any difference. I reviewed the SN7 before the SN11 and I had the UB820 connected directly to that soundbar and there were no problems passing Dolby Vision.

LG's claim doesn't make any sense, either a soundbar can pass Dolby Vision or it can't, the brand of player shouldn't make any difference. I reviewed the SN7 before the SN11 and I had the UB820 connected directly to that soundbar and there were no problems passing Dolby Vision.

Exactly so it seems it may be a specific issue with the SN11RG and the UB820. I've asked if any other people on the owners thread have any other brand UHD player that refuses to passthrough Dolby Vision to report back.
The review is in need of amending sadly at this present time.

Exactly so it seems it may be a specific issue with the SN11RG and the UB820. I've asked if any other people on the owners thread have any other brand UHD player that refuses to passthrough Dolby Vision to report back.
The review is in need of amending sadly at this present time.
I'll mention that there seems to an issue with Dolby Vision passthrough using the UB820.

I'll mention that there seems to an issue with Dolby Vision passthrough using the UB820.

Thank you. Hopefully LG might listen and correct the problem.

@Steve Withers over on the owners discussion forum there are rumours of a firmware update, do you know anything of the such?

issues with atmos bass for the rear channels whereby noise from behind has no bass from the sub at all... which i think is one of the bigger issues and centre channels being muffled in high impact scenes (where there are explosion and the like)

i've logged a ticket with LG about slight dropouts whilst watching various forms of content from sky to blue rays on a ps4 and ps5... but support is some what lax and seem to contantly ask to torubleshoot other elements such as sound from bluetooth etc. when the issue is clearly linked to e-arc (either on the sound bar or the LG C9 i own)

@Steve Withers over on the owners discussion forum there are rumours of a firmware update, do you know anything of the such?

issues with atmos bass for the rear channels whereby noise from behind has no bass from the sub at all... which i think is one of the bigger issues and centre channels being muffled in high impact scenes (where there are explosion and the like)

i've logged a ticket with LG about slight dropouts whilst watching various forms of content from sky to blue rays on a ps4 and ps5... but support is some what lax and seem to contantly ask to torubleshoot other elements such as sound from bluetooth etc. when the issue is clearly linked to e-arc (either on the sound bar or the LG C9 i own)

Reply from LG on 15-Apr-2021.

Our Research and Development Team have confirmed that the update is for the following;

1. When only one rear speaker is connected, no rear sound is output

2. If we disconnect and connect HDMI cable, Sometimes, Audio sounds out to TV speaker

3. When it plays 7.1ch with connecting rear speaker. Then audio for rear channel are not our from subwoofer

4. Connect PS5 with HDMI in(audio setting is linear PCM) and play BD title then audio is abnormal. This is PS5 issue but we improved this issue by ourself

In regards to other customers who have reported to have already received an update, they may be part of the BETA testing process.

Hi. Love the sound bar but not able to get 5.1 sound from my lg tv or freeview set top box. The sound bar is supposed to work with aac and pcm. But all I get is stereo. I have changed settings on both devices. Problematic. Any ideas?

Check the audio output settings, when I got my C1 all I got out of my surround sound was stereo. I think mine is set to passthrough.

Thanks I’ve been through all the settings, still no surround. Had on pass through. Perhaps the tv can’t pass through aac or pcm surround from a
Stb?

@Steve Withers

The problem with Dolby Vision passthrough with the Panasonic's UB820 via this soundbar has now been resolved with the last crop of firmware updates.

I thought this soundbar was awful. Spent a week trying to dial it in and i am very experienced with home audio....... maybe thats the problem. Back to BB it went. Its appalling what they charge for this soundbar and the subwoofer is laughable. To each their own.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom