I can definitely confirm that switch on standard mode was coming from rear speakers now. My son was playing Luigi’s mansion and it was. I then tried my Apple TV via eArc was also coming out of rears in standard mode. Result!

great news - can you confirm that you have the surround setting at original and not surround mode? This is a different setting from the Standard/Movie/Music/etc mode settings.

There’s a definite issue with this soundbar and atmos soundtracks when playing back effects such as gunshots and punches. They are completely lost to the background of the sound mix when the music score is playing at the same time. They lack clarity, depth and impact.
When the standard 5.1 Dolby soundtrack is more dynamic than the supposedly superior atmos one, you know there’s a problem.
I just hope that it’s a problem that can be fixed via firmware. I refuse to believe that it cannot, given the basic 5.1 mixes sound really good.
It's not all atmos tracks though. I am going to test, but I think "ai sound pro" does atmos better than "standard". Ironically I think DTS-HD and 5.1 content sounds better on standard.

Lol, what am I saying ATMOS is a preset that kicks in automatically. Make sure you don't have "Surround" enabled and all settings at default.

great news - can you confirm that you have the surround setting at original and not surround mode? This is a different setting from the Standard/Movie/Music/etc mode settings.
It is in original sound and not surround.

It's not all atmos tracks though. I am going to test, but I think "ai sound pro" does atmos better than "standard". Ironically I think DTS-HD and 5.1 content sounds better on standard.

Lol, what am I saying ATMOS is a preset that kicks in automatically. Make sure you don't have "Surround" enabled and all settings at default.
Atmos is atmos. You cannot select Standard AI pro or any other preset. It cancels everything else so not sure what you mean by it sounding better in AI pro as opposed to standard?!

Atmos is atmos. You cannot select Standard AI pro or any other preset. It cancels everything else so not sure what you mean by it sounding better in AI pro as opposed to standard?!
I know lol. I said as much underneath the first paragraph. What I mean is make sure surround is turned off in settings and also atmos is dofferent depending on the movie.

My main issue is the gunshots. I just watched the scene in the matrix in atmos with the minigun. Literally can barely hear it. There was a new firmware update?
Yeah its probably the same issue I was seeing, muffled center output when action picks up. :(
I knew I couldn't live with it long-term as my Samsung HW-N950 was way better in this regard.

Still unsure if the 5.1 LPCM issue has been fixed
I definitely have rear sound on standard via earc from switch and Apple TV4K (Non atmos tracks). Not on surround either, I’m on original for the rears.

I definitely have rear sound on standard via earc from switch and Apple TV4K (Non atmos tracks). Not on surround either, I’m on original for the rears.
Awesome news! Now if I can only figure out how to get the software update. No dice with resets, factory resets, Google Home App or LG WiFi speaker app. If anyone has any advice, I’d love to hear it!

I went and threw on the intro to Tron:Legacy to test the ATV4k PCM (Auto) now that rears do seem to have Audio coming from them using eARC, Standard, and Non-Surround vs the 5.1 toggle on the ATV. The 5.1 was much better with the rears than the ATV PCM is sending. Just me?

Has anyone played with the levels of the speakers (center, overhead, side, etc)? If so, did you do this before or after doing the ai room calibration? Want to make sure i am doing this properly, thanks.

So my SN11RG has now gone back to Richer Sounds for a refund after the third bar had the same issues on the same discs.
Managed to get a Samsung Q90 for £999 from Amazon (for ease of it has to go back as well) to try this again with a different TV now.
First impressions:
- It does not drop out on any of the film's that the SN11RG did.
- Streaming of music works without having to turn off the bar and toggle the eArc on and off.
- The XBox One X doesn't lose the audio when going out of a game and back to the menus.

I have yet to try a whole movie on UHD disc through eArc, so I'm not counting any chickens just yet.

£1599 for a yet to be reviewed (and released) Q950t.... I can see why he went Q90r.

@Talkshowchris

Hope the Q90 is a keeper. I am amazed by the number of soundbars you had tried and returned. You must have a very understanding family which matters most than all these gadgets.

@Talkshowchris

Hope the Q90 is a keeper. I am amazed by the number of soundbars you had tried and returned. You must have a very understanding family which matters most than all these gadgets.
They have literally all had faults, that's the thing.
I've never returned a soundbar due to the fact I didn't like it.
The LG SL10YG was okay with no errors, but I sold that you get a bar with rears.

So my SN11RG has now gone back to Richer Sounds for a refund after the third bar had the same issues on the same discs.
Managed to get a Samsung Q90 for £999 from Amazon (for ease of it has to go back as well) to try this again with a different TV now.
First impressions:
- It does not drop out on any of the film's that the SN11RG did.
- Streaming of music works without having to turn off the bar and toggle the eArc on and off.
- The XBox One X doesn't lose the audio when going out of a game and back to the menus.

I have yet to try a whole movie on UHD disc through eArc, so I'm not counting any chickens just yet.
Would youbsaybthe Q90 is an improvement on the SN11? We're on bar number 2. Currently watching John Wick 3 on 4k disc and disappointed with the sound. The raid on the Continental hotel had no impact. Bullets lacked any impact whatsoever.

Bar 2 will be getting returned for a refund. That probably only leaves either the Q90 or the Q950t.

They have literally all had faults, that's the thing.
I've never returned a soundbar due to the fact I didn't like it.
brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like

The LG SL10YG was okay with no errors, but I sold that you get a bar with rears.
Would youbsaybthe Q90 is an improvement on the SN11? We're on bar number 2. Currently watching John Wick 3 on 4k disc and disappointed with the sound. The raid on the Continental hotel had no impact. Bullets lacked any impact whatsoever.

Bar 2 will be getting returned for a refund. That probably only leaves either the Q90 or the Q950t.
Watched 2 movies tonight to test it and I'd say it sounds better due to dialogue and the bass invoked by rear sounds.
The sub is definitely better on the Q90.

It is still early yet to make any judgement as it's literally 2 movies I'm basing anything on.
The Atmos bubble is the same as the LG as I've tried the TV's Dolby app to compare. This is a good thing. The side sounds a bit more pronounced on the Q90, seems the side speakers are angled more.

Watched 2 movies tonight to test it and I'd say it sounds better due to dialogue and the bass invoked by rear sounds.

It is still early yet to make any judgement as it's literally 2 movies I'm basing anything on.
The Atmos bubble is the same as the LG as I've tried the TV's Dolby app to compare. This is a good thing. The side sounds a bit more pronounced on the Q90, seems the side speakers are angled more.
Keep us updated, I know it's not really the right thread but it's sort of connected to the SN11RG. I've still got a few weeks before I'm ready to buy and I'd like as much information as possible about all options available.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on whatever you decide to go for next.
It's just so disappointing that no manufacturers can get things right and some of the things are quite basic like making sure they sound right.

Hello, guys! Deciding to buy my first soundbar, need some help to choose one between LG SN11R and Samsung HW Q90R. Main sources: PS4 (PS5 in perspective), NSwitch, movies with Atmos (mostly through DLNA) on my LG 55C9.
And I have another question: Can I use this connection: PS5->TV->Soundbar instead of PS5->Soundbar->TV. Because, as I understand, this will solve all problems with earc (right?), and there will be no need in soundbar with hdmi 2.1)
Also tried to do some comparison by myself, by finding others people's experiences:
LG SN11R
+ Hdmi 2.1 (For PS5 and earc with VRR)
+ Room sound correction
- Rears not always work with PS4/NSwitch (might be solved in last firmware update, as some peoples say)
- Dialogs in action movies are hard to hear
- Some side sounds are hard to distinguish
Samsung HW Q90R
+ Better sound quality (I know it is subjective opinion, but most people say that)
- Rears sometimes lose signal
- Hdmi 2.0

What movies did you watch? When we watched JW3, there was a noticeable muffling of the sound in busy action scenes.

Did you notice in reduction in sound quality on the Q90?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom