I think this issue effects all owners.
I've got about 6 or 7 movies now that have this issue.

I've seen Mad Max on every soundbar I've owned and never had this issue at all with any other.

Did you try the other tracks just to be sure if its just on the Atmos track only?

Ah, just noticed its via eARC and not via the BD/UHD player.

Wondering why are you relying upon eARC knowing that its been flaky?

It is an issue with eArc I should have clarified.
Straight into the soundbar from the DVD player or Xbox will be fine.
That is unfortunate, hopefully an update can fix this. could it be a tv issue? or have you narrowed it down to the soundbar already?

Just a quick update on the rear bass issue, had a good chat with a guy from LG this morning, who completely understood the problem.

He watched/listened to my video and said it was night and day the audible difference from front to rear. He’s chasing it up internally and I should have a further update in a few days. (Fingers crossed) 🙏🏻

Appreciate your perseverance and hoping they fix this.

That is unfortunate, hopefully an update can fix this. could it be a tv issue? or have you narrowed it down to the soundbar already?
People in this forum with different TVs were able to replicate on last disc I discovered.
I think the bar is not coping with eArc well on certain discs. Not just mine but all of them.

People in this forum with different TVs were able to replicate on last disc I discovered.
I think the bar is not coping with eArc well on certain discs. Not just mine but all of them.

Mate,

This is why I have been saying "never put entire faith on TV's eARC".

Now it won't complete the Google Home link setup and therefore won't connect to the LG speaker app.

This is rightly annoying but I don't think it is the LG at fault, well not specifically. Google home is notoriously unreliable. The Google home app frequently tells me my Google smart speaker can't be found when it is actually streaming music at the time and other speakers frequently drop from groups seemingly at random. Of course bars that don't use the Google connection won't have that problem......

Sounds like the same issue I had with Apple TV 4K 5.1 content........ only directed the rear surrounds to the front side speakers on 5.1 LPCM content.
I too was pulling my hair out over the little niggles.. I gave up in the end.
These aren't 5.1 sources though. All the PC games I tested have 7.1 support. Anyone else here have their system connected to a gaming PC? I'd be interested to know what settings you are using, and if they have changed after yesterday's update.

Second soundbar set up tonight.

Tried John Wick on 4k disc again. There appeared to be an improvement in several of the scenes compared to the first bar we had.

We watched Bad Boys for Life on 4k disc. This is DTS:X disc and we had no issues at all with this. We had originally watched Jurassic World:Fallen Kingdom on 4k disc on the original soundbar. This is also a DTS:X movie and had no issues.

We then tries the shoot out in the lobby scene from The Matrix on 4k disc. It was good, but i felt it could've been better.

Is it possible that the bar handles DTS:X format better than Atmos?

Also, any atmos recommendations on 4k disc to test the bar with? We want to make sure we're happy with it before deciding whether to keep or return it for something else

Sounds like the same issue I had with Apple TV 4K 5.1 content........ only directed the rear surrounds to the front side speakers on 5.1 LPCM content.
I too was pulling my hair out over the little niggles.. I gave up in the end.
These aren't 5.1 sources though. All the PC games I tested have 7.1 support. Anyone else here have their system connected to a gaming PC? I'd be interested to know what settings you are using, and if they have changed after yesterday's update.

I play mine from Apple TV 4K and some tracks sound amazing. Obviously you have to search for Dolby Atmos tracks. This is through eArc on my LGC9 and atmos shows on the display.
Not sure how you got that track in Dolby Atmos.

I have tidal and that track is not listed as a DOLBY ATMOS track.

I connected my phone to the LG soundbar via Bluetooth and played this and other Dolby Atmos tracks and nothing comes out of my rear speakers.

On your PS4 settings change the sound out to optical then straight back to HDMI out and it should say the PS4 has detected a 7.1ch system, it gives you the option to tick 5.1 but leave it off. Once you’ve done that set the sound to Linear PCM. That’s all I’ve done on mine and I get sound from the rears
This one totally worked! Thanks a million. Still looking for a PC fix though...

Last edited:
This is what mines running. Dunno if its updated from something or not haven't been home all day

Mine is showing:

Main: 2006170
Micom: 2006251

Is this the previous version? I remember seeing a different one last week.

Did you try a different hdmi cable for the earc connection from the tv?
Silly question as you probably already have but maybe worth a shot.

Should I be plugging in my PS4, 4K PLAYER , etc into my LG sounded bar (has eARC) or into the tv itself ( LG OLED CX, also with eARC)?? Why should I do one over the other?

with the PS4 you may want to keep it plugged in to the the TV. i don't believe the soundbar passes trhough the HDR.. also if you intend to get the PS5 the soundbar won't passthrough VRR.

i have my devices in to the TV and the EARC to the soundbar. going to invest in some better HDMI cables which apparently support HDMI 2.1 although they are not rated to it.

Did you try a different hdmi cable for the earc connection from the tv?
Silly question as you probably already have but maybe worth a shot.
Yes and it's the same.
I am pretty certain that any other owner will have the same issue with eArc and this disc. It appears to be an issue that will get bigger as more people use eArc and watch more UHD discs.

My main issue is the gunshots. I just watched the scene in the matrix in atmos with the minigun. Literally can barely hear it. There was a new firmware update?

Hello from Sydney!

A week ago I purchased the 2020 LG SNY9 520w 5.1.2 soundbar with the SPK8-S 140w rear speaker kit for AU$1,150 (US$820/£628).

I was very pleased & impressed however after reading various forums and realising others in Aus were picking up the 7.1.4 SN11RG for similar prices I decided I may as well upgrade. So I returned both of the previous and spent some time price matching at various retailers until I locked down the SN11RG for AU$1290 (US$920/£704).

I was advised a 4-6 week shipping ETA however it came in a couple of days later, which is today.

After initially setting it up, my Sagemcom 5GHz wifi network took a massive hit with multiple devices dropping out constantly. I changed the network chanel within the router and that solved the issue.

Initial impressions have been that the sound is similar to the previous setup which I had last week. However I have yet to put it through its paces. Nor do I have an eARC TV (only ARC on my 65LGSM8500).

In addition to this I am waiting on my Amazon speaker stands to arrive as currently the rears are sitting on the kitchen bench just behind my head. Also I have ordered an Nvidia Shield Pro to enable Atmos & DTS. So hopefully once I get all the rest set up I will be as impressed as I have been anticipating to be!

Are you having any issues after the latest soundbar update? Before the update setting my PC to "Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre" gave me surround sound out of all seven channels. This worked for games even without Atmos support, like AC Origins and the Master Chief Collection. Now after the update I'm getting nothing from the rears again. Pulling my hair out over this thing :facepalm:

I haven't tried PC gaming since the update. Last game I tried was AC: Odyssey a couple weeks ago and was getting sound out of the rears all default settings on the bar. I will try again and report.

Not sure how you got that track in Dolby Atmos.

I have tidal and that track is not listed as a DOLBY ATMOS track.

I connected my phone to the LG soundbar via Bluetooth and played this and other Dolby Atmos tracks and nothing comes out of my rear speakers.
What track are you talking about sorry? Not mentioned any tracks.

There’s a definite issue with this soundbar and atmos soundtracks when playing back effects such as gunshots and punches. They are completely lost to the background of the sound mix when the music score is playing at the same time. They lack clarity, depth and impact.
When the standard 5.1 Dolby soundtrack is more dynamic than the supposedly superior atmos one, you know there’s a problem.
I just hope that it’s a problem that can be fixed via firmware. I refuse to believe that it cannot, given the basic 5.1 mixes sound really good.

I can definitely confirm that switch on standard mode was coming from rear speakers now. My son was playing Luigi’s mansion and it was. I then tried my Apple TV via eArc was also coming out of rears in standard mode. Result!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom