Pretty sure nothing currently uses HDMI 2.1, def not the Xbox one x anyway. So what you're saying wouldn't prove anything.

A friend of mine was preparing to buy X-Box X series. He was after a TV and soundbar that is fully future proof (full fat HDMI 2.1 feature support, 12-bit panel !!!! etc.). He was adamant that he will never buy anything that doesn't tick his cloud cuckoo land boxes but slowly he realised that nothing was available and has finally bought LG C9 and Samsung Q90R soundbar. :)

This obsession with HDMI 2.1 is becoming a bit crazy.

A friend of mine was preparing to buy X-Box X series. He was after a TV and soundbar that is fully future proof (full fat HDMI 2.1 feature support, 12-bit panel !!!! etc.). He was adamant that he will never buy anything that doesn't tick his cloud cuckoo land boxes but slowly he realised that nothing was available and has finally bought LG C9 and Samsung Q90R soundbar. :)

This obsession with HDMI 2.1 is becoming a bit crazy.

Yea it is a bit crazy, especially seeing as nothing runs it at the moment. Obviously things will change when the new consoles and GPUs come out and the end of the year. Until then its all really speculation.

Pretty sure nothing currently uses HDMI 2.1, def not the Xbox one x anyway. So what you're saying wouldn't prove anything.

Oh ok, I don't own a Xbox One X but I was aware that it supports ALLM and VRR. But I always thought that those are HDMI-2.1-only features. But after your post I did some research and it seems that those feature also work over HDMI 2.0.

So this means VRR and ALLM should be able to be passed through the new LG soundbars? This is my only concern as a gamer because I don't think any other of those 2.1 features will be useful anytime soon. But VRR will be a thing with the release of the next gen consoles. And if I buy a new soundbar it should at least be able to pass them through.

Oh ok, I don't own a Xbox One X but I was aware that it supports ALLM and VRR. But I always thought that those are HDMI-2.1-only features. But after your post I did some research and it seems that those feature also work over HDMI 2.0.

So this means VRR and ALLM should be able to be passed through the new LG soundbars? This is my only concern as a gamer because I don't think any other of those 2.1 features will be useful anytime soon. But VRR will be a thing with the release of the next gen consoles. And if I buy a new soundbar it should at least be able to pass them through.

Ahhh, I have a C9 and the SN11RG. I have my Xbox X plugged directly into my C9 which gives me VRR and ALLM. I have not tested it with the Xbox plugged in to the bar as I'd rather have everything directly through the tv.

Maybe someone else in the group has tested via the bar and can chime in

So it was coming up on my 30 days, and my wife wasn’t a fan of the look and length of the sn11rg. I tend to agree on the length. My e8 is 55” and and it’s just too big for it. Maybe once I can get a room setup in the basement with a bigger tv. I returned it for the q90r once again. I still think the sn11rg is a better bar, I already miss the rear speakers, and bass. I had to lower the levels on the center channel and raise the levels on the rears to get close to what I had. Luckily Dolby vision at 60hz has passed through just fine. I must’ve had a defective q90r last time. The q90r is a great bar, but I switched back mostly for aesthetics and to keep the peace. still keeping an eye on q950t, as it’s about the same length.

So it was coming up on my 30 days, and my wife wasn’t a fan of the look and length of the sn11rg. I tend to agree on the length. My e8 is 55” and and it’s just too big for it. Maybe once I can get a room setup in the basement with a bigger tv. I returned it for the q90r once again. I still think the sn11rg is a better bar, I already miss the rear speakers, and bass. I had to lower the levels on the center channel and raise the levels on the rears to get close to what I had. Luckily Dolby vision at 60hz has passed through just fine. I must’ve had a defective q90r last time. The q90r is a great bar, but I switched back mostly for aesthetics and to keep the peace. still keeping an eye on q950t, as it’s about the same length.
Where did you return it too? Might be a good option for an open box for someone here?

Where did you return it too? Might be a good option for an open box for someone here?
I live out in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania. If anybody is near Reading, you should be in luck

Ahhh, I have a C9 and the SN11RG. I have my Xbox X plugged directly into my C9 which gives me VRR and ALLM. I have not tested it with the Xbox plugged in to the bar as I'd rather have everything directly through the tv.

It also would be very helpful for me if you could test it. VRR support is major factor for me.

Find it weird that 20 cm extra width can be that distracting. It's not like a subwoofer that occupies floor space.

Everyday I am grinding my teeth as I miss my separates and it seems like many of us are under pressure from the spouses lol.

If you have your basement I think you should forget soundbars and go for separates.

Good luck with your Q90R reunion.

Overall this LG soundbar is an excellent alternative to those who are looking to downgrade from separates.

Last edited:

I have tested it and it doesn't work unfortunately. The Xbox One X was plugged into the soundbar and then the soundbar to the TV.
The option for VRR and ALLM was not available.
It could be due to cables though as I only had a 2.1 cable for the Xbox to the soundbar. I was using a 2.0 cable for the soundbar to the TV.

Find it weird that 20 cm extra width can be that distracting. It's not like a subwoofer that occupies floor space.

About ou
Everyday I am grinding my teeth as I miss my separates and it seems like many of us are under pressure from the spouses lol.​

If you have your basement I think you should forget soundbars and go for separates.

Good luck with your reunion with the Q90R

Overall this LG soundbar is an excellent alternative to those who are looking to downgrade from separates.
Yeah, I think once I get the basement plan going I’ll give separates a try.

Does anyone 100% know if the SN10YG will be released in the UK please? I'm running out of options so have been looking at Sony's HT-ST5000 instead.

I have tested it and it doesn't work unfortunately. The Xbox One X was plugged into the soundbar and then the soundbar to the TV.
The option for VRR and ALLM was not available.
It could be due to cables though as I only had a 2.1 cable for the Xbox to the soundbar. I was using a 2.0 cable for the soundbar to the TV.

I'm doing some rearranging of some stuff on my TV unit later today and will give it a test if I have time. I'm running all 2.1 cables for my tv, Xbox and bar, so will be able to see if it makes any difference

What kind of rear speaker wall mounts do you guys suggest?

Reading the manual it seems it comes with brackets, are those good enough?

I’ve tested the Xbox 1 x to this bar going to my 65 cx.
and found it doesn’t pass through allm or vrr I use 2.1 hdmi cables.
The option on Xbox is greyed out.

Watched Life of Pi UHD with my son. This is a prime example of dialog sounding drowned than the rest. However If you think it's the bar it's not. Definitely it is mixed like that as the dialog was clear on many scenes.

Does the SB Display shows what kind of audio content is playing besides Dolby Atmos and DTS X. Like DD+ 5.1 or Dolby TrueHD 5.1...

Does the SB Display shows what kind of audio content is playing besides Dolby Atmos and DTS X. Like DD+ 5.1 or Dolby TrueHD 5.1...
No it just says 'Dolby Audio' when you press the "I" button on the remote. I have my Sky Q box audio settings outputting Dolby digital from my HDMI port.

Other than what you said, just 'Dolby atmos'
or DTS-X'

No it just says 'Dolby Audio' when you press the "I" button on the remote. I have my Sky Q box audio settings outputting Dolby digital from my HDMI port.

Other than what you said, just 'Dolby atmos'
or DTS-X'

Also will display "PCM" and "DTS Audio"

LG support wrote me:
The soundbars has an HDMI 2.1 in & out but only with native 4K Pass-Through. Because of the high bandwidth demand of VRR and ALLM it is not possible to passthrough these features lossless.
(freely translated from german)

I guess they mean, "hoho, its not real hdmi 2.1 but only a 2.1 feature and now we are able to call it HDMI 2.1 for marketing purposes."

Plug your 2.1 device directly to the tv. I have a cy and have nothing plugged into the sb everytjing gpes to my tv and all I have in the sb is rhe arc channel. So pass through shouldnt be an issue..or an i missing something

I will, but that was not the feature i paid for on a brand new "HDMI 2.1" featured soundbar...

Its going to take another 12-18 months until we start seeing TVs and Soundbars with full fat HDMI 2.1 feature support. Also expecting a soundbar to have high end video gaming features is a bit too much.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom