LG SN11RG Owners Thread

CaroleBaskin

@Bravi Make your choice simpler by removing the HDMI 2.1 element, it gives you a wider choice. Aim result should be lossless codecs getting to the bar...

In doing this you get to eARC as the required feature, anything else from the 2.1 spec is redundant and adds complication and further points of issue in a sound bar package.

Feeding to a TV capable of eARC and perhaps some 2.1 features like VRR will give you the best experience, double check that the TV you have has no known issues/bugs with eARC. You get passthrough of lossless etc and retain the VRR of the future games console, the simpler the setup the better.

I would ask myself:

Which of the sound bars I have in mind have eARC?
Of those with eARC which has better audio support for my usage and which is the better performer?

Personally, I prefer the Q90r.

Bravi

Feeding to a TV capable of eARC and perhaps some 2.1 features like VRR will give you the best experience, double check that the TV you have has no known issues/bugs with eARC. You get passthrough of lossless etc and retain the VRR of the future games console, the simpler the setup the better.
Thank you for your answer! I'm sorry if i don't understand you right, but are you saying that it is better to plug my consoles directly into TV, and that it will help me to avoid needing of hdmi 2.1? So the setup will look like this: soundbar via eARC hdmi to TV, consoles via hdmi 2.1 to TV.

Did last firmware updates for Q90r help to solve problems with losing signal on rears?

CaroleBaskin

@Bravi HDMI consortium allowed manufacturers to cherrypick which features of HDMI 2.1 they would like to integrate into products. Some manufacturers for example use eARC on a HDMI 2.0 chipset. Avoiding this type of headache is key. You could buy a product thinking it supports VRR and eARC when in fact the implementation is buggy or not as you expected.

You're far better off feeding anything that uses a HDMI 2.1 feature such as VRR directly to a supporting TV with that feature. Your sound bar should only need to support eARC, and anything else advertised is a bonus. Let your TV do the work rather than relying on the sound bar as the 'middle man'. The connection methodology would be as below, TV is the middle man and simply passing audio to the bar.

Games console with VRR ----> TV supporting VRR and eARC ----> Sound bar supporting eARC

(Sound bar doesn't need to be HDMI 2.1, just eARC as a feature)

I'd suggest asking anything further regarding the Q90r is better served here

lgans316

Distinguished Member
LG SN11R
+ Hdmi 2.1 (For PS5 and earc with VRR)
Only HDMI 2.1 feature is eARC. The ports don't support VRR to the best of my knowledge.

Talkshowchris

What movies did you watch? When we watched JW3, there was a noticeable muffling of the sound in busy action scenes.

Did you notice in reduction in sound quality on the Q90?
I saw Mad Max Fury Road as that was a movie that the SN11RG was having dropouts on. It worked flawlessly.
The other film I saw was Le Mans 66 as that had caused the SN11RG to dropout. Again it worked flawlessly.

I'm watching Disney + with my daughter now and can confirm the wide sounds are far superior on the Q90.
There are many films that my daughter and I watch over and over, so I can make direct comparison with the SN11RG. Anything with a vehicle panning from left to right or from rear to front it in a different league on the Q90 in my opinion.

RetroRob

Standard Member
Hey guys - thought I would check in after a few weeks of owning the bar. Must be honest, still really thrilled with this unit.
I think an underrated feature/s of this bar is how well it handles various codecs in a “set it and forget it” fashion. I spent a few days initially tinkering with settings for general purpose viewing, and haven’t touched them since. Admittedly I don’t have eARC (where most of the problems it seems have arisen), only ARC but couldn’t be happier.
I use a combination of the Apple TV, UHD player (Sony X-800) and the PS4 as primary sources.

A comment and Q though:

- The LPCM 5.1 routing to sides of main unit instead of rears is still present for me on the Apple TV. Has this been fixed perhaps only through eARC? Any ARC users experienced this change?
I am def. on the latest firmware BTW.

RetroRob

Standard Member
Hello, guys! Deciding to buy my first soundbar, need some help to choose one between LG SN11R and Samsung HW Q90R. Main sources: PS4 (PS5 in perspective), NSwitch, movies with Atmos (mostly through DLNA) on my LG 55C9.
And I have another question: Can I use this connection: PS5->TV->Soundbar instead of PS5->Soundbar->TV. Because, as I understand, this will solve all problems with earc (right?), and there will be no need in soundbar with hdmi 2.1)
Also tried to do some comparison by myself, by finding others people's experiences:
LG SN11R
+ Hdmi 2.1 (For PS5 and earc with VRR)
+ Room sound correction
- Rears not always work with PS4/NSwitch (might be solved in last firmware update, as some peoples say)
- Dialogs in action movies are hard to hear
- Some side sounds are hard to distinguish
Samsung HW Q90R
+ Better sound quality (I know it is subjective opinion, but most people say that)
- Rears sometimes lose signal
- Hdmi 2.0
Something else to consider is that the Q90 won’t pass through Dolby Vision (if that’s important to you) while the SN11RG won’t pass through HDR10+. Both though support HDR10.

BeefS2

Something else to consider is that the Q90 won’t pass through Dolby Vision (if that’s important to you) while the SN11RG won’t pass through HDR10+. Both though support HDR10.
The q90r can pass DV, it’s just not officially supported. I had some issues at first, but with upgraded cables and a different bar I haven’t had any problems with DV passthrough from a Nvidia shield pro and a ub820. It’s been confirmed that the q950t can pass DV too.

Bravi

I still don't understand the best way to connect devices (TV+soundbar+console). Because some people say that if you connect PS5->TV->Soundbar you will lose quality in sound (TV passthrough can not support all of standarts, like dolby atmos), and if you are using PS5->Soundbar->TV, you will lose 4K/120hz because of no hdmi 2.1 in soundbars. Is it right?

Talkshowchris

The q90r can pass DV, it’s just not officially supported. I had some issues at first, but with upgraded cables and a different bar I haven’t had any problems with DV passthrough from a Nvidia shield pro and a ub820. It’s been confirmed that the q950t can pass DV too.
I agree, it can pass DV fully without issues.

Talkshowchris

I still don't understand the best way to connect devices (TV+soundbar+console). Because some people say that if you connect PS5->TV->Soundbar you will lose quality in sound (TV passthrough can not support all of standarts, like dolby atmos), and if you are using PS5->Soundbar->TV, you will lose 4K/120hz because of no hdmi 2.1 in soundbars. Is it right?
If the TV supports eArc, the sound quality from the PS5 will be perfect without any loss of quality for both games and movies .

CaroleBaskin

@Bravi ARC is an older type of sound passthrough that did not pass lossless codecs such as Atmos from devices connected to the TV and not the soundbar. If your TV uses the newer eARC and the sound bar supports eARC then the lossless codecs like DTS:X and Dolby Atmos will have no issues being passed to the bar from the TV.

VRR: I would not rely on a sound bar to pass through 4K/120hz right now. Far better option is going to the TV which retains VRR and lossless audio is passed on via eARC.

Does that make sense?

Eddibhoy

I saw Mad Max Fury Road as that was a movie that the SN11RG was having dropouts on. It worked flawlessly.
The other film I saw was Le Mans 66 as that had caused the SN11RG to dropout. Again it worked flawlessly.

I'm watching Disney + with my daughter now and can confirm the wide sounds are far superior on the Q90.
There are many films that my daughter and I watch over and over, so I can make direct comparison with the SN11RG. Anything with a vehicle panning from left to right or from rear to front it in a different league on the Q90 in my opinion.
Thanks for your reply. Refund sorted for the SN11 and think we're now swaying towards the Q90.

We have tried a few of the scenes that caused the original bar problems and the were causing the same problems. It's a shame the Atmos causes it a problem as the sound from everything else has even fantastic

tjn007

Standard Member
Owning the SN11R for almost a month now I can say I still very happy with the purchase and it performs to my expectations. Coming from a Polk tower speakers (with built in subs), center channel and rears, I don’t feel that I am missing quality other than not as powerful sub. My wife has been asking me to downsize for years and I kept putting her off saying the quality of soundbars was not equal or better to what I had. Her biggest complaint was if I had the sound too loud, the bedroom walls would shake and she couldn’t watch her TV.

After researching sbs for 3 years I came very close to getting either he Samsung N950 or the Q90. What stopped me were the regular reporting of disconnects to the rear speakers and sometimes the sub. Also to some degree to the lower output to the rear speakers.

When the LG SN11RN came out and the user reports were mostly good, I thought this may be the one to get. At the time there was no clear release date for the upcoming Samsung Q950 and I had just sold my Polk Speakers after trying to sell them for 6 months. Once I sold the Polks, I knew my window to replace them was short before the wife would question which bar I was getting. As it is, I did not disclose the LG would have rear speakers and that would have been a no sale in her mind.

I went ahead with the LG purchase and had to deal with the wife wrath for 2 weeks before she settled in and accepted the rear speakers knowing she enjoyed listening to movies with me but never admitting the sound was good nor did I ask her. Since the sub is not nearly as powerful as what I had with the Polks, I thought that was a good appeasement.

Seeing the additional comments from other SN11RN owners who are now former owners, I have come to the conclusion that getting any soundbar is really rolling the dice on whether or not the unit will meet your expectations. All I can really add is I have had 0 disconnects, no muffled sound and fairly active rears with this LG bar. The only flaw I can find is there is an occasional pop sound that comes out of the sub but it is not consistent and could be related to the content. I can live with that and the sub is powerful enough and flies under the wife radar. :).

I will admit I’m not a very picky on any flaws unless they are something I will not accept. Disconnecting and low rear output would drive me crazy with any bar. Since I not a gamer and I do not own Apple or devices that people report as issues, there is no impact to me. I use disc, video files and streaming for my content viewing. I use an android box (KD Links A400) for my video files which works flawlessly for all kinds of video and audio content without loss). I plug the UHD player and the Android box into the bar and do all my streaming thru the eARC connection. My TV is a LG 65 E7 which does pass Atmos content from streaming so I don’t really care if I can’t pass Atmos content from other devices if I were to use the eARC connection for them.

I guess you can say my needs are simple and are met without regret. I hope all those who continue to look for something that will make them happy will succeed.

Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member

But you said the opposite during the early days compared to your previous Q90R? Are you sure? :)

Rowns

Standard Member
But you said the opposite during the early days compared to your previous Q90R? Are you sure? :)
Having had the SN11RG then returning it for a Q90, I’m so much happier now I have the LG back, the Q90 isn’t even close to what the LG gives in terms of width and room filling audio.

Rowns

Standard Member
So my SN11RG has now gone back to Richer Sounds for a refund after the third bar had the same issues on the same discs.
Managed to get a Samsung Q90 for £999 from Amazon (for ease of it has to go back as well) to try this again with a different TV now.
First impressions:
- It does not drop out on any of the film's that the SN11RG did.
- Streaming of music works without having to turn off the bar and toggle the eArc on and off.
- The XBox One X doesn't lose the audio when going out of a game and back to the menus.

I have yet to try a whole movie on UHD disc through eArc, so I'm not counting any chickens just yet.
The Xbox Atmos issue is a known problem with the way it’s implemented on the console.

It’s happened on every bar I’ve had, including the Q90. It’s just poorly implemented, one day you won’t experience the audio loss, then another day it will happen repeatedly.

Talkshowchris

Pretty sure yes.
Early days are very misleading thinking back. I was just happy having waited for the SN11RG since January and was so excited with all the features and the bubble it created.
The bubble is better I think is what I meant to say really. The Q90 sounds wider and likely the Q950t will sound wider still.

I find it hard to compare movies on the LG that had dropouts as they pretty much dominated my emotions towards the performance on the applicable movie. Many occasions, I stopped viewing at the point of fault in hope that I could clean the disc or troubleshoot in other ways. Every time it was for nothing.

Both bars have pros and cons, but the one that 'works' on all discs has to get my final vote.

Kiwijar

Watched some more actiony scenes on the 4k of The Matrix and Baby Driver just before and didn't notice any muffled voices. Gun shots on The Matrix were loud and punchy, didn't in the slightest sound weak or lacked any impact.