LG SN11RG Owners Thread

Aryn86

If this inspires you. :) Feel free to PM the member. He is a very friendly guy.

Ha that's awesome, thing is in your own living room surround sound effects are amplified a lot more than they are at the cinema due to the proximity of the speakers that's why a setup like that would be insane to watch movies/TV or even Game with, you'd be lost in the action.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I hope you guys are getting the wall mounting done properly as the speaker positioning is important to get proper height effects.

Aryn86

I hope you guys are getting the wall mounting done properly as the speaker positioning is important to get proper height effects.
I'll probably be drawing out line diagrams and asking for advice come closer to the time to get a better pespective.

lgans316

Distinguished Member

low-def.

Crikey the length of this bar according to the specs (1443mm) is huge! I thought the N950 was big!

BeefS2

Crikey the length of this bar according to the specs (1443mm) is huge! I thought the N950 was big!
yeah, at 56 inches it far exceeds my 55" e8. My wife already made a stand to match the q90r I got a few weeks ago. If I were to try to return it now for the sn11rg, which is very tempting, it would not end well for me. Kicking myself for not waiting. I'm happy though. The q90r just dropped to $1299 here in the states, and I was able price match.

low-def.

yeah, at 56 inches it far exceeds my 55" e8. My wife already made a stand to match the q90r I got a few weeks ago. If I were to try to return it now for the sn11rg, which is very tempting, it would not end well for me. Kicking myself for not waiting. I'm happy though. The q90r just dropped to $1299 here in the states, and I was able price match.
Its going to be this or the Sonos Arc setup for me, once I can finally offload the N950 back to RS.

Pic

Hi, will the soundbar function as a 5.1.2 system without the rear speakers? Thanks

Talkshowchris

Just say to the wife that you've heard a crackle or skip and that it's a documented issue with the Q90 (she can check). The SN11RG has very few issues according to reports on here.
😁

BillRawles

Mmmmm, the width of this is almost an exact match to the width of my chimney breast and in that quite a few cms longer than the fireplace on each end (on which it would sit). I'm trying to picture if that would look stupid or awesome. . . .

Either way, it's a smidge rich for my blood at current price so we'll wait to see how it comes down.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I am happy that the soundbar is wide as it should offer a wider soundstage and separation.

NikG

Hi, What’s the Soundbars dialogue like? Is the centre speaker weak on standard mode when playing 5.1, also when playing 5.1 on standard mode do the separate rears/surround speakers output the correct sound channels without having to use virtual surround on, or does 5.1 on standard only use the speakers from the bar and not separate rears/surround.

devoidx360

Standard Member
Completely agree the SN11RG has a much wider sound stage than my SL8YG. Much happier with this bar than I was with the SL8YG + SPK8. Have been looking forward to the upgrade as I found the SL8YG to be just "okay".

Don't get me wrong, the SL8YG with the SPK8s is a huge improvement over the internal TV speakers and makes for a nice 5.1.2 set up but the SN11RG is a step up for sure.

Pairs very nicely with my 65" C9. This word has been used a lot but it really is a far more immersive experience than the SL8YG. I'm far happier watching movies on this beast and will spend less time switching to my AVR-X3000 (With a Sunfire sub + Orb Mod 4 centre + Orb Mod 2 for all other channels). The sub feels better integrated in this unit as well.

I haven't seen the SL10YG so I can't comment on whether the bar is the same unit with improved DSP + EARC. The sub (at least from an exterior perspective) appears to be identical to the unit I had with the SLY8G.

Sound is very subjective so what sounds 'good' to me might not be the same for anyone else. All I can say is "I" don't regret having made the purchase. It's a big investment for a lot of people so consider your choice carefully (may be comparable in dollar value to separate components which you can expand upon).

I haven't listened to any other comparable sound bars, so can't give a comparison to similar bars from Sony, Samsung or Nakamichi. Sorry.

Oh. And with respect to the AI Calibration; I've run it several times (to account for Ambient noise at different times of the day) and I haven't noticed any difference in the before and after audio capture available in the LG app.

I also read users are experiencing noticeable lip sync issues with various bars (150ms+) including the SL8YG. Personally, I haven't had this issue since moving to premium Certified HDMI 2.0b cables and setting the C9 to Pass through and ARC/eARC.

RU8000HWQ90RDPUB420

Novice Member
Unless a design change has occurred from the previous model the width of this soundbar and the perceived benefits because of it are somewhat diminished as the left and right channels are positioned quite a long way inside each edge.

Personally speaking unless your tv is wall mounted you need at least a 65 inch screen size for this soundbar to look aesthetically pleasing and in balance while the tv unit it's placed on also needs to be as long at a minimum.

BeefS2

Just say to the wife that you've heard a crackle or skip and that it's a documented issue with the Q90 (she can check). The SN11RG has very few issues according to reports on here.
😁
Speaking on this, I watched blade runner 2049 in Dolby vision/Dolby atmos today and I think I heard a crackle or two from the q90r on some of the big cinematic moments. Overall it sounded fantastic, it’s a great movie to test a soundbar on. The crackles were very sparse, but still distracting. once you hear it you can’t unhear it, and I kept waiting to hear another. Not sure if it’s a dealbreaker yet though

Last edited:

Talkshowchris

Speaking on this, I watched blade runner 2049 in Dolby vision/Dolby atmos today and I think I heard a crackle or two from the q90r on some of the big cinematic moments. Overall it sounded fantastic, it’s a great movie to test a soundbar on. The crackles were very sparse, but still distracting. once you hear it you can’t unhear it, and I kept waiting to hear another. Not sure if it’s a dealbreaker yet though
That's the exact same issue that I had on 3 separate units of the Q90 soundbar. I think there is something in the Samsung soundbars that doesn't like certain setups (I had the n950 with the exact same problem).

My tip:
Get rid as early as possible because if you go outside of the 30 days it will become very difficult to convince a retailer of the problem. I literally had to sit, with a store manager and watch a movie with him to point out when the bar crackled. Prior to this I'd left the bar with said manager for a week and he and his staff had said that they could not find an issue. It really was an awful experience (I was working all hours and had to go to the store after work and just about made it before closing time each time I had to visit).

In the end, I went to the store 4 times just to convince them that there was an issue. Even then, they have to then get their engineers to replicate it too. I sent about 3 movies with the soundbar that I knew were bad for the crackling.

One of those movies was...
Blade Runner 2049.

Get rid.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Think I might try this one out.

Found this comment in another forum.

Gentlemen a distinction must be made here, the LG SN11RG is a sound system, everything else is just a soundbar with strap on rear speakers. There really is no comparison, the SN11RG requires its own thread.

I installed this 'system' in my family room with the new LG 75NANO91ANA. I have a full blown Dolby Atmos rig in a dedicated room and I was shocked how close the SN11RG system actually sounds. While it can't reach the same bombastic level, it makes up for it with superior low level details. For example hearing a flock of pigeons flying up & overhead sounded more lifelike than I've ever heard. Human voice is very natural and when you play music you can clearly hear the difference between regular HiFi and Tidal MQA files.

I physically placed the soundbar, rear speakers, and sub while listening to Dolby Atmos Music via Tidal. Use an extension cord and set the sub in the middle of the room, walk along the walls till you hear the best quality bass, this is where you place the sub. Only after I got music to sound as natural as possible did I run the built-in Room EQ and mount the speakers and TV to the wall. Careful setup like this will reward you with stellar sound.

Kudos to LG & Meridian ... they finally knocked one out of the park.

Apple TV is built inside the NANO91 which thankfully auto links all my subscriptions. The ease of voice control is uncanny, from Music to Movies to Sports, its all at your command. My family actually thanked me for setting up this clean, simple, ergonomic system, its been live for over 2 weeks and no-one has stepped foot in the Theatre Room.

Enough said!

willbaer

Standard Member
Does the package include a HDMI 2.1 cable? I have ordered the soundbar, but I do not know if I have to get a cable separately and I was not able to find the information. Otherwise I have to get one. Thanks in advance!

Talkshowchris

Does the package include a HDMI 2.1 cable? I have ordered the soundbar, but I do not know if I have to get a cable separately and I was not able to find the information. Otherwise I have to get one. Thanks in advance!
There are no HDMI or Optical cables included in the package.

Even though the soundbar supports HDMI 2.1, you will only need a 2.1 cable if you are using a device that has 2.1 capability. As far as I know, at the moment this would just be some graphics cards. Longer term this will be the PS5 and the Xbox One Series X as they both have HDMI 2.1 features.

Hopefully Sony and Microsoft will include 2.1 cables with their consoles (especially for the prices I've seen rumoured).

For the time being, just use your regular 2.0 cables and all will work perfectly. It's worth adding that certified cables are better (more reliable over time) , if you stretch the budget a tiny bit.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
There are no HDMI or Optical cables included in the package.

Even though the soundbar supports HDMI 2.1, you will only need a 2.1 cable if you are using a device that has 2.1 capability. As far as I know, at the moment this would just be some graphics cards. Longer term this will be the PS5 and the Xbox One Series X as they both have HDMI 2.1 features.

Hopefully Sony and Microsoft will include 2.1 cables with their consoles (especially for the prices I've seen rumoured).

For the time being, just use your regular 2.0 cables and all will work perfectly. It's worth adding that certified cables are better (more reliable over time) , if you stretch the budget a tiny bit.
I am not sure if its equipped with full fat HDMI 2.1 port. Think eARC is the only HDMI 2.1 feature the soundbar supports. Please correct me if I am wrong.

willbaer

Standard Member
Thanks for your quick response, I have also experienced at work and back home that cables can make a difference. With some cables the displays turn on and off from time time to time - like flickering once in a while and we are talking about some Excel stuff xD first thought it might be the displays, but some cables are just too cheap.
I use the LG C9, which is why I would buy a HDMI 2.1 cable then. It is better to spend a bit more once. I am already excited and will post my experiences next week.

Talkshowchris

I am not sure if its equipped with full fat HDMI 2.1 port. Think eARC is the only HDMI 2.1 feature the soundbar supports. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Honestly don't have the technology to test this.

To be honest, I won't use this feature anyway as I'm using eArc for my console and 4K UHD player. I will do so when I get the Xbox One Series X in November too.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?

Trending threads

Latest News

New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG GX soundbar launches in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky Q updates smart features and adds Disney Plus in HDR