LG SN11RG Owners Thread

antsims

Distinguished Member
Just make your own if you are somewhat knowledgeable with carpentry I just bought a slap and cut and sanded and stained to fit them 👍🏻
Dolby atmos suggest the speakers should be angled into the listening position for best effects, not pointing straight out like you have them. You might notice even better sound quality and effects.

damo09

Wheres tue Best place to try atmos music..

croutons12

Standard Member
Apple TV is outputting LPCM as well
Lukasboos,

This is also my big disappointment with this bar, especially since I'm an avid Apple TV user. The SN11RG treats its side-firing speakers as "surrounds" and the rear speakers as "rears." I don't understand why it isn't treated like DTS or Dolby, but the rear/surround channels in LPCM are considered to be "surround" and therefore ignore the rear speakers completely.

Seems like a big miss to not use detached surround speakers and instead go for a virtual effect from the front bar.

There are only two ways around it, detailed below. Like you, I don't like surround modes and therefore I use option 2.

Option 1 (soundbar setting):

The soundbar has a multitude of sound modes you can select from, which will take the original source content and "up-mix" it to use more speakers/channels than intended by the content creator. I tend to dislike these modes and find they sound artificial and strange. For instance, I was messing with modes yesterday trying to find one that I might be OK with. All of them were sending main character dialogue to every speaker in the room, including the rears. No thank you... main dialogue belongs in the center channel only. This is my opinion, though, and others may have no issue.

The only soundbar setting combination for true, unadulterated audio delivery is turning "Surround Function" to OFF and "Sound Effect" to STANDARD. With these settings, however, when your ATV sends 5.1 LPCM (known as 5.1 Ch "Others" to the bar), the rears will come out of the side of the bar. Not ideal.

Option 2 (Apple TV setting)

This scenario assumes you keep the soundbar in Standard Mode with Surround Function off.

If you change the audio format of the ATV to disable Atmos and use 5.1 Dolby Digital, the ATV will send a 5.1 Dolby bitstream to the soundbar instead of LPCM. Per the LG manual, when the soundbar receives a 5.1 Dolby signal, it will route everything correctly... rears to rears.

The downside of this ATV setting, though, is that it slightly reduces audio quality, caps channels at 5.1 and disables Atmos (one of the reasons I bought this bar).

I'm going with option 2, which allows me proper audio for the vast majority of 5.1 non-Atmos content I watch. If I'm going to stream a 7.1 or Atmos show, I switch the ATV setting back to "Automatic," which will turns on Atmos, 7.1 and exports LPCM instead of a Dolby bitstream.

Lukasboos

Lukasboos,

This is also my big disappointment with this bar, especially since I'm an avid Apple TV user. The SN11RG treats its side-firing speakers as "surrounds" and the rear speakers as "rears." I don't understand why it isn't treated like DTS or Dolby, but the rear/surround channels in LPCM are considered to be "surround" and therefore ignore the rear speakers completely.

Seems like a big miss to not use detached surround speakers and instead go for a virtual effect from the front bar.

There are only two ways around it, detailed below. Like you, I don't like surround modes and therefore I use option 2.

Option 1 (soundbar setting):

The soundbar has a multitude of sound modes you can select from, which will take the original source content and "up-mix" it to use more speakers/channels than intended by the content creator. I tend to dislike these modes and find they sound artificial and strange. For instance, I was messing with modes yesterday trying to find one that I might be OK with. All of them were sending main character dialogue to every speaker in the room, including the rears. No thank you... main dialogue belongs in the center channel only. This is my opinion, though, and others may have no issue.

The only soundbar setting combination for true, unadulterated audio delivery is turning "Surround Function" to OFF and "Sound Effect" to STANDARD. With these settings, however, when your ATV sends 5.1 LPCM (known as 5.1 Ch "Others" to the bar), the rears will come out of the side of the bar. Not ideal.

Option 2 (Apple TV setting)

This scenario assumes you keep the soundbar in Standard Mode with Surround Function off.

If you change the audio format of the ATV to disable Atmos and use 5.1 Dolby Digital, the ATV will send a 5.1 Dolby bitstream to the soundbar instead of LPCM. Per the LG manual, when the soundbar receives a 5.1 Dolby signal, it will route everything correctly... rears to rears.

The downside of this ATV setting, though, is that it slightly reduces audio quality, caps channels at 5.1 and disables Atmos (one of the reasons I bought this bar).

I'm going with option 2, which allows me proper audio for the vast majority of 5.1 non-Atmos content I watch. If I'm going to stream a 7.1 or Atmos show, I switch the ATV setting back to "Automatic," which will turns on Atmos, 7.1 and exports LPCM instead of a Dolby bitstream.
Thanks for making it clear! Its what i thought when i red the manual. So when you are a Apple TV you dont get the rears to work during 5.1 content only if you change the audio format ( its a no for me).
Dont understand why LG is doing that because the Q90r which i own handles LPDM without anyproblems and its the same setup as the SN11. So i probably stick with the Q90R

Strangely even the LG CX handles the sidefireing speakers as the surround speakers. When you hook up my CX with my Q90r over earc and connect the ATV directly to the TV my rears wont work as well, only the sides

lgans316

Distinguished Member
It is indeed frustrating. Best is to write to LG to get this fixed. However vast majority won't care. I see LPCM 5.1 as a dead format. It was used as a stop gap long time ago on BDs unless lossless audio with better compression took over. Any company using it must rethink.

LPCM stereo is okay.

ATV is.using something like Dolby MAT and it needs to be addressed by Apple for being stupid when all other boxes are outputting Atmos as Atmos, DD as DD and DTS as DTS.

If you are relying on.LPCM 5.1 in 2020 it is not correct.

Lukasboos

It is indeed frustrating. Best is to write to LG to get this fixed. However vast majority won't care. I see LPCM 5.1 as a dead format. It was used as a stop gap long time ago on BDs unless lossless audio with better compression took over. Any company using it must rethink.

LPCM stereo is okay.

ATV is.using something like Dolby MAT and it needs to be addressed by Apple for being stupid when all other boxes are outputting Atmos as Atmos, DD as DD and DTS as DTS.

If you are relying on.LPCM 5.1 in 2020 it is not correct.
Until now i didn’t care much about LPCM since my Q90r Soundbar do handle it the way it should. But that would be a no to switch to the LG. Since it shows it like that in the manual, i Don’t think LG will change the output of the channels in further updates. What is really bothering me through is that the LG TV changes the Channel Mapping as well, even in passthrough mode...

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Until now i didn’t care much about LPCM since my Q90r Soundbar do handle it the way it should. But that would be a no to switch to the LG. Since it shows it like that in the manual, i Don’t think LG will change the output of the channels in further updates. What is really bothering me through is that the LG TV changes the Channel Mapping as well, even in passthrough mode...
Aforementioned affected users can contact LG or people like John Archer who could relay to LG.

Personally I would never use my TVs ARC / aARC to support all the audio formats the way it is intended to but insiders say there ar many licensing issues going on behind the scenes and some TV manufacturers could completely ditch supporting certain sound formats.

Also ATV appears to be an odd man out by not outputting Atmos as Atmos. It seems have a different method to get Atmos out.

Even my cheap media player is outputting all sound formats to the soundbar without issues.

Lukasboos

Aforementioned affected users can contact LG or people like John Archer who could relay to LG.

Personally I would never use my TVs ARC / aARC to support all the audio formats the way it is intended to but insiders say there ar many licensing issues going on behind the scenes and some TV manufacturers could completely ditch supporting certain sound formats.

Also ATV appears to be an odd man out by not outputting Atmos as Atmos. It seems have a different method to get Atmos out.

Even my cheap media player is outputting all sound formats to the soundbar without issues.
Get your point! But you probalby know the LG support is a whole mess so i don’t expect there is going to change something with it haha.
I would totally switch to another Streaming Device like the Shield but im already too much involved into the apple eco system haha. So that would be a bummer as well. Is there any acceptable streaming device that supports the Apple TV app and using bitstream?

devoidx360

Standard Member
Just received a FW update...

Screenshot_20200701-184043_LG Wi-Fi Speaker.jpg

Not sure what's changed at this stage.

damo09

Mines doing it now..

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Get your point! But you probalby know the LG support is a whole mess so i don’t expect there is going to change something with it haha.
I would totally switch to another Streaming Device like the Shield but im already too much involved into the apple eco system haha. So that would be a bummer as well. Is there any acceptable streaming device that supports the Apple TV app and using bitstream?
Apple ecosystem is something I don't like. Its too closed for the common masses like me who is used to Android and other ecosystems. I don't own a single apple product for this reason but that's just me.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Supposedly a new Apple TV is coming in the next month or two, I would hope they’d fix this.
They have to, otherwise it will look a bit silly on them. Adapt or perish :)

Lukasboos

Apple ecosystem is something I don't like. Its too closed for the common masses like me who is used to Android and other ecosystems. I don't own a single apple product for this reason but that's just me.
You use the fire tv stick? Is it outputting bitstream?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
You use the fire tv stick? Is it outputting bitstream?
Yep. I get Atmos if its Atmos, otherwise DD. Its correctly bitstreaming.

There is no silly conversions like what the ATV does internally like this Dolby MAT. I am not sure why companies like Apple, Sonos and Bose are stuck in the past and not adapting to modern trends.

Lukasboos

Yep. I get Atmos if its Atmos, otherwise DD. Its correctly bitstreaming.

There is no silly conversions like what the ATV does internally like this Dolby MAT. I am not sure why companies like Apple, Sonos and Bose are stuck in the past and not adapting to modern trends.
Can it output DolbyTrue HD via Apps like Infuse oder Plex?
WIth the Apple TV i can adjust in the Video Settings the Fromat to 4k SDR 50hz and then turn on match content which allows to automatically adjust Range & Frame Rate depending on the content. Is it same with the Fire TV?
Maybe i will swapping if the Apple TV App on FireTV supports Dolby Atmos

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Can it output DolbyTrue HD via Apps like Infuse oder Plex?
WIth the Apple TV i can adjust in the Video Settings the Fromat to 4k SDR 50hz and then turn on match content which allows to automatically adjust Range & Frame Rate depending on the content. Is it same with the Fire TV?
Maybe i will swapping if the Apple TV App on FireTV supports Dolby Atmos
Personally I don't mess around that much. If works out of the box as it should.

Where ATV shines is the rich 4K iTunes catalog and High quality streams. I am hoping the new ATV box will fix these legacy issues .

Also you won't get Atmos on Netflix via FieTV stick.

damo09

Hi, does this soundbar have a lan/Ethernet port? I couldn’t find the relevant information anywhere.

Cheers!
Annoyingly no it doesn't

damo09

It has wifi..

amoney805

Novice Member
I need a recommendation. Ive got an LG B7 (no earc). I stream 99% of the time through the internal apps. Is it worth getting an atmos soundbar. I think only Netflix and amazon do atmos.

antsims

Distinguished Member
Mines just updated too.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299