LG SN11RG Owners Thread

Ratinthekitchen

How hard can it be? My Nvidia Shield updated and they document every change. My LG CX updated this week, nothing.
I know. My Samsung s20 phone got an android update this morning. I had to approve the update so its essentially optional and they list every single change running to pages and pages of notes even stuff like portrait picture mode now works for cats!

I think LG either simply can't be bothered or don't want to admit what they initially got wrong

Adzere

Standard Member
Hi - thanks for taking the time to summarise.

My soundbar had failed an attempt to update some months ago and had become disconnected from the wifi - so yesterday I reset it and started a fresh install from scratch - google home found it and lg soundbar app picked it up - at last !

It looks like it updated to new firmware on re-install !

A few thoughts (and please feel free to chip in - I am in no way an audiophile - I picked the soundbar up through the forums on here just over 12 months ago and it is in my bedroom )

First of all I use it exclusively attached to my Windows 11 PC - one thing I found out was only Windows Media Player actually passes Atmos / DTX to the soundbar - VLC / MPCH etc just don't pass the audio correctly so sounded awful - probably to do with adding codecs etc - WMP just works.

For normal day to day watching (HD HOMERUN / Weekly Tv Shows etc) I found that AI SOUND PRO seems to give me the clearest speech and the rears are subtle but effective for surround) - I know some prefer Standard or even Movie (this one gives me dialogue sometimes in the rears which is annoying) - so I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

My sub seems to work fine after the update - anything greater than a +1 setting on sub seems to shake the room.

I don't listen to music on it.

I ran the room calibration yesterday - seemed to go ok.

My biggest annoyance is still the fact that when I shut it down (its connected to a LG 65 CX - so auto shuts down when I switch tv off/on) - when I switch it back on it refuses to go straight to HDMI 1 input - I have to manually select the correct input (1st world problems i know !!)

Any observations / comments ?

Dave
Hello mate

I would try MX player you have to load up a codec for it but once you have done that it should work.

I find the Ai room calibration doesn't actually do anything when ever I have run it and compared the before and after it sounds the same.

With regards to the source switching I have the same problem I use an Nvidia shield device connected to the soundbar HDMI port 1 but the soundbar always goes to hdmi1/arc input then I have to switch it over. It is annoying but couldn't work out a way to stop this happening so just live with it.

EliAnt

I had the same issue regarding incorrect HDMI input selection when switching on. After going through LG customer service and sending it in to get “repaired” - they switched the motherboard in the soundbar, but the issue still existed. That’s when I decided to return it. It must be some sort of design error. It drove not only myself crazy, but my wife would get annoyed every time she turned on the Apple TV and it would go to the incorrect HDMI input.
I’ve since bought a Sonos Arc and haven’t looked back - it just works.
I should also add that it sounds awesome and the Atmos doesn’t suffer from any muffled issues.

hughesie27

Hi - thanks for taking the time to summarise.

My soundbar had failed an attempt to update some months ago and had become disconnected from the wifi - so yesterday I reset it and started a fresh install from scratch - google home found it and lg soundbar app picked it up - at last !

It looks like it updated to new firmware on re-install !

A few thoughts (and please feel free to chip in - I am in no way an audiophile - I picked the soundbar up through the forums on here just over 12 months ago and it is in my bedroom )

First of all I use it exclusively attached to my Windows 11 PC - one thing I found out was only Windows Media Player actually passes Atmos / DTX to the soundbar - VLC / MPCH etc just don't pass the audio correctly so sounded awful - probably to do with adding codecs etc - WMP just works.

For normal day to day watching (HD HOMERUN / Weekly Tv Shows etc) I found that AI SOUND PRO seems to give me the clearest speech and the rears are subtle but effective for surround) - I know some prefer Standard or even Movie (this one gives me dialogue sometimes in the rears which is annoying) - so I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

My sub seems to work fine after the update - anything greater than a +1 setting on sub seems to shake the room.

I don't listen to music on it.

I ran the room calibration yesterday - seemed to go ok.

My biggest annoyance is still the fact that when I shut it down (its connected to a LG 65 CX - so auto shuts down when I switch tv off/on) - when I switch it back on it refuses to go straight to HDMI 1 input - I have to manually select the correct input (1st world problems i know !!)

Any observations / comments ?

Dave
I received mines yesterday and upon setting it up I actually found that with AI Sound Pro on I hear a lot of speech coming g from the rears. Perhaps they are too loud for non surround content. Up on 4 I think.
I tried setting it to the surround only from source which turned off the rears on standard TV but when I switched to an atmos show on Netflix the rears never came on.

mhutter79

Mine still sounds bad have sub max and bass at +2. Had sib update that went fine but on firmware main 2112010 and I know 2112011 is just for r and Rg is one I am on but from what I read people with the update in r are happier then Rg owners…. Please lg fix the damn bar right I had atmos perfect before ….

danrex

Novice Member
Have had this for a week or so now.
I seem to be having HDMI signal drops on both ports. Anyone else experienced this?
The device hooked up is a Chromecast with Google TV. HDMI signal drops occur randomly, sometimes it goes for hours without one, sometimes several within 10 minutes. TV is an LG c8, no drops when connected directly to tv and several different HDMI cables tested.

Edit: Updating here in case someone has the same issue. After extensive googling and troubleshooting I've come to the conclusion that the issue only occurs with CCGTV in 4k60 Dolby Vision mode along with this soundbar(and googling around, other seem to have had the same issue with other receivers etc). My solution was to buy a Shield TV pro and put the CCGTV in another room. Not a single hdmi signal drop since then.

Last edited:

whiteswan

Hello mate

I would try MX player you have to load up a codec for it but once you have done that it should work.

I find the Ai room calibration doesn't actually do anything when ever I have run it and compared the before and after it sounds the same.

With regards to the source switching I have the same problem I use an Nvidia shield device connected to the soundbar HDMI port 1 but the soundbar always goes to hdmi1/arc input then I have to switch it over. It is annoying but couldn't work out a way to stop this happening so just live with it.

Hi

Is MX Player a Windows Media Player - I can only find an android version - do you have a link ?

I have tried a LOT of media players these last 2 days and they all give very different results with the soundbar.

ALL of them report PCM being sent to the bar (via the info display on bar itself) apart from TV & FILM within Windows 11 - this displays DOLBY as being sent to the bar and sounds so much better than anything else I use.

For example - playing a Movie through most of the other media players using the MOVIE preset results in dialogue being sent to rear speakers............however using TV & FILM results in dialogue from the bar itself and surround effects on rears - it's night and day different.

This is true of normal DOLBY 5.1 and also ATMOS and DTS.

I wonder if the problem for a lot of people isn't the bar itself............but the signal it is being fed with ?

Dave

Last edited:

Gino1010

Novice Member
Hi there, I have the same problem with the new update failing and the subwoofer disconnecting from the soundbar. It did work when the wifi was disconnected, but then when I put the wifi back on again, the subwoofer is just blinking green very fast and then stops and turns red.
Does anyone know whether it is the software or the Pcb from the subwoofer?
Thanks

GuzziPower

G'day
Well Iately I've always felt that this thing was one step away from disaster...!
And after a power cut on Friday afternoon the bar went into update mode AGAIN when the power came back on! Nothing on the display on the bar itself but I could hear the beeps from it as each segment of it was downloaded.
This worried me and we put 1917 on to watch.I knew something was amiss when the bar wouldn't register the Atmos track.After about 5 or so restarts and checking I got the bar to register Atmos and we watched the movie.It was ok for the most part but thought somethings not quite right.The scene in the bunker was FLAT.
Tried another movie again last night The Nun same again after selecting the Atmos track from menu the bar wouldn't display it, tried a few times to no avail and gave up and watched it.
It was CRAP. It was the Atmos track but it's now back to the MUDDY/MUTED CRAP that we had prior to any of the updates,In fact I think it may actually be worse! The scenes where you would normally be jumping off the sofa were FLAT and muted like a fart in a spacesuit as Billy Connelly would say.
I know this was caused by this update as earlier in the day ( Friday ) prior to power cut I checked A Quiet Place out as I was having an issue selecting the Atmos track on this but it was my fault because I wasn't selecting it on the remote properly.I got it sorted and watched 10 minutes or so and everything was GREAT. So the bar went into update mode when the power came back on and it's crap again.
I did check the firmware version on wifes phone and it still says 2112010...What the..
I am RIGHT ROYALLY PISSED OFF with this thing now and not really sure what the next move is...The bin perhaps?
Cheers

GuzziPower

Found this advice on reddit, not tried it yet. In the meantime I've left my SW unplugged. Not sure if TURNOFF means standby or power off from wall socket.

Today bar again disconnected from wi fi on it's own and Google home wanted me to set it up again.

View attachment 1635229
Mate
THANK YOU for posting this....!!
After the disastrous update I went back and found this and thought what the hell I'll give it a go and see what happens.
I did exactly this, unplugged the sub but left the soundbar off but on standby.
I left it for an hour and a half and plugged it back in.
It did as above and blinked and connected.
I couldn't try it out till much later in the day but tested the opening scenes of 10 Cloverfield Lane and the bar read and displayed the Atmos track and the car crash was back to normal and sounded GREAT.
Didn't have much time but put the Nun back on and was able to select the Atmos track which was displayed on the bar and seemed to be ok but no time to test it further....
But FINGERS CROSSED it seems to be back to normal again!
Just hope it stays this way....
Cheers
Ps will keep you all posted

ZaRoK89

Hello,

Does anybody know what that AI Calibration does?
While calibration I couldn't hear any sound from the rear, so it seems it is not checking the distance of te rears?

While listening to Atmos the rear sound is so soft while I have it on +6, with normal 5.1 it's a bit louder. Hopefully someone can help me with this.

choirboy

Hello mate

Same thing here with regards to incorrect port switching.

kellybrf

sn11rg, 2112010/2110221. over the past few days I've had an issue where things are fine, then the audio starts to get very robotic and then the voice channel goes out. background noises/music continue to play just fine. if i power the bar on/off everything's fine again, but eventually it'll happen again. I tried a hard reset but the problem still persists
just hooked up an sp9ya in the bedroom. 55c8 with a 2019 shield pro, so similar setup to the sn11rg with the 65c8 and shield in the living room. within 15m the audio dropout happened, so I'm 99.9% confident this is a software issue. if I plug the shield into the soundbar it works fine

Last edited:

mhutter79

I wrote to VOC and below is the response:
I’m an LG Customer Advocate following up on information I was given regarding a product quality concern you shared. I am sorry that you’ve not received the product quality which we intend for all our customers. I want to stress that we want to make changes to prevent this from happening again. Your feedback will be very helpful in determining exactly what features or designs need to be changed. Again, I’m sorry that you’ve not received the product quality which we intend for all our customers.

Thank you for your time sir and I’ll get this to management to have these issues addressed as soon as possible. Have a good day.

>>>>> Best Buy is out of stock on these not sure why it has bad reviews online , why can't LG fix this bar if they are worried that it would take away sales from the SP version it wont since its Jan and a few weeks ago it just went on sale in US so no thank you and why buy the 2022 bar when this one is so bad and it has a lot of firsts of its kind / first of the kind usually has a lot of issues.... This bar can be awesome if they get the firmware right...... and the 2022 bar in descriptions only seems to have 2.1 ports and earc no arc and I need arc anyway.

PaddyS

I wrote to VOC and below is the response:
I’m an LG Customer Advocate following up on information I was given regarding a product quality concern you shared. I am sorry that you’ve not received the product quality which we intend for all our customers. I want to stress that we want to make changes to prevent this from happening again. Your feedback will be very helpful in determining exactly what features or designs need to be changed. Again, I’m sorry that you’ve not received the product quality which we intend for all our customers.

Thank you for your time sir and I’ll get this to management to have these issues addressed as soon as possible. Have a good day.
All they have to do is put it back the way it was. How hard can it be?

For those of you that have experienced intermittent garbled audio from the soundbar and popping from the SW, when Dolby Atmos is engaged (on the most recent FW - 2112010 / 2110221), the following procedure seems to have resolved the issue, at least in my individual circumstance:

1. Unplugged my C9 from the power
2. Unplugged my SN11RG from the eArc HDMI port on the C9
3. Reset the SN11RG
4. Unplugged the SN11RG and SW from the power (left it for 10 minutes)
5. Reconnected the SN11RG and SW to the power
6. Powered on the SN11RG and re-configured via Google Home
7. Put the SN11RG into standby
8. Reconnected my C9 to the power
9. Reconnected the SN11RG to the eArc HDMI port on the C9
10. Powered on the C9 and SN11RG

Prior to this procedure, I had intermittent garbled audio and some serious popping from the SW and at times, the right rear as well. This occurred most frequently when Dolby Atmos was engaged.

This also occurred on firmware revisions 05.10.25 and 05.20.07 for the C9 and only became apparent after the last FW update to the SN11RG.

I haven't had the issue again since completing this procedure (fingers crossed!).

You're welcome to try it but YMMV.

I have a case open with LG and have provided the engineer I spoke with audio samples so hopefully they can track down the root cause and provide us with yet another update.

choirboy

For those of you that have experienced intermittent garbled audio from the soundbar and popping from the SW, when Dolby Atmos is engaged (on the most recent FW - 2112010 / 2110221), the following procedure seems to have resolved the issue, at least in my individual circumstance:

1. Unplugged my C9 from the power
2. Unplugged my SN11RG from the eArc HDMI port on the C9
3. Reset the SN11RG
4. Unplugged the SN11RG and SW from the power (left it for 10 minutes)
5. Reconnected the SN11RG and SW to the power
6. Powered on the SN11RG and re-configured via Google Home
7. Put the SN11RG into standby
8. Reconnected my C9 to the power
9. Reconnected the SN11RG to the eArc HDMI port on the C9
10. Powered on the C9 and SN11RG

Prior to this procedure, I had intermittent garbled audio and some serious popping from the SW and at times, the right rear as well. This occurred most frequently when Dolby Atmos was engaged.

This also occurred on firmware revisions 05.10.25 and 05.20.07 for the C9 and only became apparent after the last FW update to the SN11RG.

I haven't had the issue again since completing this procedure (fingers crossed!).

You're welcome to try it but YMMV.

I have a case open with LG and have provided the engineer I spoke with audio samples so hopefully they can track down the root cause and provide us with yet another update.
Thank you for this. I haven't had the issue in a few days, just waiting to see if it goes away with the new C9 firmware.
If it doesn't I'll try your method.
Please post if you get the issue again to save others having to go through this process.

Thank you for this. I haven't had the issue in a few days, just waiting to see if it goes away with the new C9 firmware.
If it doesn't I'll try your method.
Please post if you get the issue again to save others having to go through this process.
Will do. It's been three days now and so far so good. I have more testing I want to undertake before I relax (until the next FW release). Word on the street is there is another update due out for the C9 as well. Interested to see what, if effect that has when it drops.

mcuradoc

Standard Member
Have a SN11RG in the UK and my sub has also stopped working. It tries to pair with the soundbar for a couple of minutes (blinking green) and then turns red.
Have a 6yrs warranty from Richer Sounds and they have asked me to send it for them, which will probably do next week...
Just sharing an update about my problem, as it may help others.
I was having the issue connecting the sub to the soundbar - the green light would blink until becoming red.
I had contacted Richer Sounds warranty and they were super quick to reply, asked no questions apart from when I wanted to have the soundbar collected.
Anyway, decided to give it a go with LG and contacted them as well to check whether I was still covered by the warranty (I bought the soundbar on 06/2020). To my surprise, they said I was still covered and a courier would contact me to collect. This was on 04/01.
  • 06/01: Panther contacted me to collect the soundbar on the next day - they said they would bring a box, but turned out it was the wrong box (for a much smaller soundbar), so it was good that I had kept the original one.
  • 12/01: LG messaged me confirming they had received the soundbar.
  • 17/01: the courier contacted me saying they would deliver today and today was delivered.

Just connected everything again, at first didn't work and I was calling LG, but decided to disconnect everything and connect again and just worked.

All and all, quite happy with LG customer support.

choirboy

Will do. It's been three days now and so far so good. I have more testing I want to undertake before I relax (until the next FW release). Word on the street is there is another update due out for the C9 as well. Interested to see what, if effect that has when it drops.
You mean a new one after 05.20.07? Where did you hear this?

Jono3142

Mate
THANK YOU for posting this....!!
After the disastrous update I went back and found this and thought what the hell I'll give it a go and see what happens.
I did exactly this, unplugged the sub but left the soundbar off but on standby.
I left it for an hour and a half and plugged it back in.
It did as above and blinked and connected.
I couldn't try it out till much later in the day but tested the opening scenes of 10 Cloverfield Lane and the bar read and displayed the Atmos track and the car crash was back to normal and sounded GREAT.
Didn't have much time but put the Nun back on and was able to select the Atmos track which was displayed on the bar and seemed to be ok but no time to test it further....
But FINGERS CROSSED it seems to be back to normal again!
Just hope it stays this way....
Cheers
Ps will keep you all informed
I'm glad it worked for you, any issues since you posted?

GuzziPower

I'm glad it worked for you, any issues since you posted?
G'day mate
Not had a chance to test it further at this stage but I am hopeful that this has sorted the issue.
Especially after reading a couple of other posts where re-set has worked for them as well.
Also the more I think about it I reckon I had a scratchy sound on TV through the bar and thought maybe I heard a pop or two when watching 1917 and The Nun ( Atmos ) Fri/Sat after this last update as others have mentioned, prior to disconnecting the sub!
After the re-set TV sound is much better and the brief Atmos test seemed to be back to normal..
I'll be able to test further at weekend but seems good so far, fingers and toes crossed ha ha.
Thanks again mate as I was really getting pissed off with it, but I'm a lot more optimistic now .
Cheers

Jono3142

So over the last few days , whether SW plugged in or not, I have been getting UPDATE FAILED message everyday around 2pm (UK GMT) when bar is activated from standby.

However, today the soundbar has a much better BASS level than it has had since November.

Still not early 2021 levels but much better than recent.

The other day I had terrible trouble with SW and app connection, more so than usual, power cycling the SW didn't work, so attempted reseting bar, reseting SW, no power light on SW , blinking green.. thought it was a gonna. I also noticed messing with SW also caused connection issues with left rear, all very strange!

But today the sound stage is very good and connection solid!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp