LG SN11RG Owners Thread

lgans316

Distinguished Member
So what's a good movie you would recommend to benchmark this bar?
Most of them sound fine. It's like some scenes looking good on LED-LCD and some looking good on OLED.

Star Wars Atmos (1,2,3 and 7)
Tron Legacy DTS-HD MA
Incredible Hulk DTS-X
Atomic Blonde DTS-X
Black Hawk Down Atmos
The Hurt Locker Atmos iTunes

Talkshowchris

So what's a good movie you would recommend to benchmark this bar?
Not a movie with intense rear bass as the sub lies dormant.
Also, in very intense surround, the dialogue can get very muddied.

Something like Blade Runner 2049 would be a good benchmark as it plays to none of the SN11RG’s weaknesses

rskhalsa2711

Novice Member
Hi,
Apologies if this is already answered in the forum. I wish I could search within this forum thread for my exact answer without scrolling through to all of the pages.

I am considering to buy this one for my living room. Just wanted to check if someone has wall mounted the soundbar? If yes, does it make any difference in the performance?

Could you please share how it looks on the wall?

Thanks

skingg

Standard Member
Hi all, new guy here. New LG SN11RG owner. I just posted this to another forum as well Hoping this aids others.

I don’t believe I’ve seen this mentioned yet but I’ve just discovered with my tinkering that subwoofer placement (specifically proximity to the sound bar) has a SIGNIFICANT impact on the overall audio quality. I went from having the sub placed in the back left of my room angled at the listener (sound was muddied, bass response was overblown, surrounds were non existent) to moving the sub to the direct right of the sound bar/entertainment center slightly angled to the listening position.

The difference in audio quality is night and day. Bass hits you in the chest as you would expect at this price point, surrounds and ATMOS effects come alive, center channel is crystal clear. I now understand the potential this system has. I went from doubting why I returned my nakamichi 9.2.4 set to feeling good about my purchase. While I’m not a fan of having a sub in the front of the room (neither is the wife) the difference in sound quality makes it worth it.

I’d also like to mention that the LG manual warns the user about this but also states subwoofer placement is at the discretion of the listener. Not so much. I’m curious to know if the subwoofer acts as a repeater/amplifier of some sort to the other speakers and what role proximity to the sound bar plays in the overall sound quality.

I’m hoping others can test this to confirm, and I also apologize if this has already been mentioned/addressed!

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts!
Mind to share a picture of your sub-woofer next to your soundbar? Just curious as me and my friend still gets the "bass response was overblown" bit although so far we've only tried placing the sub-woofer at the left and right corner of the room.

JustBright

Novice Member
Most of them sound fine. It's like some scenes looking good on LED-LCD and some looking good on OLED.

Star Wars Atmos (1,2,3 and 7)
Tron Legacy DTS-HD MA
Incredible Hulk DTS-X
Atomic Blonde DTS-X
Black Hawk Down Atmos
The Hurt Locker Atmos iTunes

The matrix is unbelievable on this sound bar. bullets flying all around you. Even my cat was running around in circles.

Retrosk8rboi

Novice Member
Ii have an LG CX with the sn11rg . Sound output on earc with auto setting. If I use usb or dolby app I get the message dolby atmos and it sounds amazing however if i use netflix amazon prime or youtube apps i get no messages or surround. If i change output to com the youtube Dts and atmos work but I'm thinking probably only 5.1.Any idea what I am i doing wrong ?

Alan31

Hi guys,

I really need your help. I currently own a N950, but I am very interested in SN11RG, mainly because of its EARC support. Can anyone tell me if there is any real difference between Dolby Atmos via EARC or ARC? Sure, the difference can be seen in theory, but how does it translate to real-life perceptions of Dolby Atmos? I am wondering if it is worth the upgrade, or not.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,

I really need your help. I currently own a N950, but I am very interested in SN11RG, mainly because of its EARC support. Can anyone tell me if there is any real difference between Dolby Atmos via EARC or ARC? Sure, the difference can be seen in theory, but how does it translate to real-life perceptions of Dolby Atmos? I am wondering if it is worth the upgrade, or not.
For streaming NO as the Atmos bit rate is still 768 Kbps (640 DD+ core + 128 Kpbs Atmos metadata) still under the 1 Mbps limit for ARC.

For BD/UHD, there should be a difference as eARC will bitstream full bandwidth audio.

Whether you notice any differences between lossy Atmos and lossless Atmos is down to your ears :)

Rowns

Well having finally read the Rtings review of the Q950T, I’m glad I stuck with the SN11. Don’t get me wrong I’m still pursuing them for the issues I’ve had when gaming, but it’s rare I’m disappointed when listening to a Movie.

We watched AntMan the other night, and even via Disney+ the overhead effects had me grinning from ear to ear.

Hi,
Apologies if this is already answered in the forum. I wish I could search within this forum thread for my exact answer without scrolling through to all of the pages.

I am considering to buy this one for my living room. Just wanted to check if someone has wall mounted the soundbar? If yes, does it make any difference in the performance?

Could you please share how it looks on the wall?

Thanks
Only wall mounted mine this weekend, so haven’t had time to test out any differences fully (or hide the power/hdmi cable!)
In terms of soundstage it maybe sounds a little bit ‘deeper’ due to increased area around the main bar but nothing substantial. I’ve still set the Centre channel to +2 for main TV viewing (Virgin Media) but films with decent soundtracks sound amazing.

Overall, I’m more than happy with it (spent many hours considering this vs Q950) and focussing on enjoying it rather than constantly comparing!
EC98E2FC-A2DC-4D7E-850F-28B460F8B27E.jpeg

alastair113

Ii have an LG CX with the sn11rg . Sound output on earc with auto setting. If I use usb or dolby app I get the message dolby atmos and it sounds amazing however if i use netflix amazon prime or youtube apps i get no messages or surround. If i change output to com the youtube Dts and atmos work but I'm thinking probably only 5.1.Any idea what I am i doing wrong ?
Change the sound output from auto to pass-through, it should always be on pass-through

skingg

Standard Member
Well having finally read the Rtings review of the Q950T, I’m glad I stuck with the SN11. Don’t get me wrong I’m still pursuing them for the issues I’ve had when gaming, but it’s rare I’m disappointed when listening to a Movie.

We watched AntMan the other night, and even via Disney+ the overhead effects had me grinning from ear to ear.
May I know how high does your soundbar sits in relation to your (sitting) ear level? And which area of the room did you place your sub-woofer? My friend's living room is a little spacious and we still can't find a good placement for his sub-woofer as it either sounds 'overblown' or just feels kind of 'loose'.

Would appreciate if you can share your settings as well (volumes, subs, treble, etc).

Rowns

May I know how high does your soundbar sits in relation to your (sitting) ear level? And which area of the room did you place your sub-woofer? My friend's living room is a little spacious and we still can't find a good placement for his sub-woofer as it either sounds 'overblown' or just feels kind of 'loose'.

Would appreciate if you can share your settings as well (volumes, subs, treble, etc).
The main bar sits on my TV cabinet, around a foot below ear level. The sub is just to the left off the cabinet, but I’ve lowered it to -4 to bring down some of the overinflated booming.

As for the rest of the settings, I’ve tried various over the last couple of months, but ultimately settling on 0 across the board, with the sub on -4. I did have the height channels on +4, but realised they were drowning out the rest of the audio, as I didn’t realise how much music, etc comes from those height channels, they’re not just used for height effects.

It’s obviously room dependant, but do the AI calibration and leave everything but the sub, that at least worked for me.

Geese1

Novice Member
Hi everyone, new to the forum here and I'm looking for some help. Not much info on some of the other forums out there, but I read that this community has a really active thread for this particular soundbar, so I'm hoping I can get some advice.

My wife and I purchased a new house, and since the basement was bare we decided to have it finished to make it into a nice media/game room. It's just about done now, and I've already purchased a LG CX 77" TV, and now I'm looking for a sound system to pare up with it.

This LG seems to be just what I'm looking for, but I wasn't sure if a soundbar would be the best option. The room is pretty large (the contractor said about 888 square feet of finished space, although I'm not sure if that included the hallway from the stairs to the main room), and the ceilings are about 10'-11' high. Where the TV and soundbar would be sitting would be the middle of one of the long sides of the wall, with cabinets on one side (we're undecided about what would be on the opposite side, if anything). A rough estimate would be about 8'-10' to the left and right of where the entertainment center would be, and then we'd be placing the couch about an additional 8'-10' feet from in front of the TV. I've attached a few pictures of the basement while it was in various stages of construction to help get a better idea of what the layout will be like

My question is, would this soundbar be able to handle a room of this size? I've heard that since it relies on reflecting sound off the walls and ceilings to get the full surround sound experience, you really need the ideal layout for the best performance. While I like the idea of this LG soundbar, as it seems to have everything I'd want/need, and I don't have to worry about running cables all over the place, I'm still not sure if it's the best choice for our setup.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Attachments

lgans316

Distinguished Member
@Geese1

I will go separates if I was your in position and looking at your room size.

choirboy

Does anyone use the DTS Neural:X setting for DTS content?

Geese1

Novice Member
@Geese1

I will go separates if I was your in position and looking at your room size.

That's what I had originally planned before hearing about these surround sound/soundbar systems. I'd really prefer a soundbar due to the simplicity, and not having to run wires all over the floor. I was just afraid that the room layout might not be conducive to such a setup. I don't need to fill the entire room with sound (we'll just have our couch and maybe a recliner that we'll be using), but I don't know if I could get the full surround effect with the room the size it is.

I'm still tempted just to try it, but then I have to deal with the hassle of trying to return it if it doesn't work!

Guess I'll have to start taking a look at separate components as well. Have no idea where to begin though (as I said, the soundbar systems make it simple).

rskhalsa2711

Novice Member
Only wall mounted mine this weekend, so haven’t had time to test out any differences fully (or hide the power/hdmi cable!)
In terms of soundstage it maybe sounds a little bit ‘deeper’ due to increased area around the main bar but nothing substantial. I’ve still set the Centre channel to +2 for main TV viewing (Virgin Media) but films with decent soundtracks sound amazing.

Overall, I’m more than happy with it (spent many hours considering this vs Q950) and focussing on enjoying it rather than constantly comparing!View attachment 1371530
Thanks very much! That's really helpful.

I have got mine just today and just put all speakers roughly in their standard spots.

I will keep adjusting their placements withing next few days to find out what is the best placements with best sound in my living room setup.

I have paired it with my LG C8 65" and set it up as a Sound bar in TV settings. Are there any suggested settings on LG C8 TV with this soundbar?

BeefS2

That's what I had originally planned before hearing about these surround sound/soundbar systems. I'd really prefer a soundbar due to the simplicity, and not having to run wires all over the floor. I was just afraid that the room layout might not be conducive to such a setup. I don't need to fill the entire room with sound (we'll just have our couch and maybe a recliner that we'll be using), but I don't know if I could get the full surround effect with the room the size it is.

I'm still tempted just to try it, but then I have to deal with the hassle of trying to return it if it doesn't work!

Guess I'll have to start taking a look at separate components as well. Have no idea where to begin though (as I said, the soundbar systems make it simple).
Soundbars are a more simple, clean setup, but they all have their flaws. The audio quality is getting better, but none have nailed it yet. With separates you can always add or replace components. Your ceiling for audio quality is much higher with separates, and in most cases you get more for your money too. With soundbars you’re replacing the whole system every time. I have the q90r, and it works for now until I have more room in the basement. The q950t or sn11rg might be able to work for your space. The q950t still has bugs that need to be worked out and Samsung is an awful company to work with on issues. The sn11rg is less quirky, but maybe not quite as balanced. In the long run, if you can swing separates you’ll be happier.

Last edited:

Wunderwally

Standard Member
Hey guys, does anyone know a way to turn off the touchsensitiv buttons on the soundbar? My cat factory-resetted the system yesterday evening by sitting on it:rotfl:

choirboy

Can anyone check this issue for me?

I'm having a strange problem with the recent 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 4K UHD. I currently have the Panasonic UB820 plugged directly into the sound bar (as a member in this thread stated there are no drops out this way with regard to the EARC issue on the C9).

I put the disc in the player and noticed it was in HDR10 according to the TV. I needed to lower the brightness to 49 because the start was not true black but elevated. This also happens with the Batman Trilogy (black levels elevated) so did not think anything of it (apart from the ridiculousness of how balked/ill thought out the whole HDR/DV implementation is with UHD in general).

I then looked at the box and it said Dolby Vision. I checked some reviews and this was confirmed. Why did the TV not come up with the DV logo and picture mode?

I changed cables, still the same. I then plugged the UHD player directly into the TV and re-tried it. This time the Dolby Vision icon came up along with the picture mode. The black levels now looked correct at the default 50 brightness. Odd?

I then re-plugged in the UHD back into the sound bar directly. No DV logo, only the HDR one popped up. Same issue with black levels. I tried some other UHD discs with DV and they played fine.

Can someone with this UHD disc please test whether it will output in DV whilst plugged directly into the sound bar?

I can't tell if it is an issue with the sound bar and DV or simply a problem with the disc or the UHD player?

Just to add another oddity. I have a NVIDIA SHIELD and that is plugged into the TV, no issues. I took out the SHIELD and plugged that directly into the sound bar. I played a DV Netflix title, only HDR came up. I checked the settings and the SHIELD had changed to 4k HDR ready and the DV toggle was off. I turned DV on and then it played fine. I wonder if the sound bar has a firmware bug where it turns DV off in some cases?
I rechecked all my UHD player settings though and DV was set on to on the whole time so it hadn't done anything there?!?

Another oddity, PACIFIC RIM UHD says DV on the back but the main feature is only in HDR10. Bit of joke how all this is handled to be honest.

Any investigations would be most helpful :) in case this needs to be brought to LG's attention.

antsims

Distinguished Member
Mines in the classifieds now if anyone is interested. Open to serious offers.

(Mod reminder - all offers, discussion about the sale item in the classified ad please - thanks:smashin: )

Last edited by a moderator:

mmomega

Novice Member
Don't mind me, long time reader, finally registered to jump in the conversations.
I had just recently picked up the 11RG and was doing some reading. Long story short, I was looking for a more simple setup for the living room. I have the LG SN9YG in our bedroom and like it so the search began. It was coming down to the 11RG or the Sonos Arc with add-ons but the Sonos is on backorder for about a month.
My local Best Buy had 2 open-box 11RG available, 1 was rated excellent and 1 mentioned some scratches and missing install equipment. I was guessing it would be the wall-mounting hardware, which for me was fine because I am ok with getting third-party mounting hardware especially when it was priced at $896. When I got home I noticed they gave me the $1,400 OpenBox (big red open-box price sticker on the outside) which looked like someone bought it, opened and just returned it. The remote batteries were still shrink-wrapped.

Either way, on both sound bars, I have them connected e-ARC, cables are good. Apple TV 4K.
Dolby Vision fine, the issue is, the bar used to show ATMOS on the bar display and I noticed recently it just shows E-ARC with ATMOS / AppleTV content. Like Netflix movies or shows.
TV's are set to passthrough, e-arc enabled, AppleTV shows Atmos enabled insettings.
With TV updates automatic, sound bar updates automatic, AppleTV updates automatic, now I'm not sure if I changed something messing around in settings or if others are having similar issues with similar setups.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett