LG SN11RG or Samsung Q950 T

Q950T will give you the more immersive experience. It currently has some potential issues with eArc passing lossless audio, however if you're plugging directly into the soundbar and not planning on using the internal TV apps for TrueHD etc you'll be fine.

Planning to use the sound bar with internal app e.g. Netflix, Disney+, Amazon, Apple and Panasonic UB9000.

Just plug the ub9000 directly into the bar and you should be good with either soundbar

Planning to use the sound bar with internal app e.g. Netflix, Disney+, Amazon, Apple and Panasonic UB9000.

As said above if you plug the Panasonic into the soundbar you'll be getting the full lossless audio. If there are apps on that player you should use those as there are some hiccups with the samsung (unsure about the LG) until it's fixed via an update.

Thank you. I look forward.

to be honest mate, I've had problems with updates with the actual soundbar. In terms of connectivity, it was connecting just fine and it sounded pretty good. Initially it wasn't amazing but I tweaked the rear speaker levels and the bass level and it sounded a lot better. I just need to resolve my update problem.

Thank you. I look forward.

Hey mate

After a couple days of a review. I want to say that this soundbar does sound really amazing :)
I factory reset it and edited some settings and now the bass is working as it should I believe. Definitely recommend getting this soundbar. It's probably the best sounding soundbar in terms of sound quality in the market atm, although there is a lot of software issues with it which will hopefully get fixed soon.

Hey mate

After a couple days of a review. I want to say that this soundbar does sound really amazing :)
I factory reset it and edited some settings and now the bass is working as it should I believe. Definitely recommend getting this soundbar. It's probably the best sounding soundbar in terms of sound quality in the market atm, although there is a lot of software issues with it which will hopefully get fixed soon.
Thank you for taking the time for your feedback.

I'm also in the same boat of not knowing what to buy for a new sound system to go with my 65GX LG. . The LG bar is cheaper and I prefer the design but reviews of the sound produced are quite conflicting really. Some like HDTVTest and Avforums say it sounds good, whereas others say it's muffled with poor bass (which would not be acceptable for this sort of spend)

However I can't really stomach Samsung or their attitude to support, and the bugs and codec support omissions reported on the 950 don't give me great confidence. According to Ratings.com neither bar sounds particularly amazing for Atmos, considering they are the flagship soundbars this year from LG and Samsung.

Alternatively I could replace my 5.1 speakers with KEF T305/205 and replace my Onkyo NR-656 amp with the Denon X2700H for the EARC compatibility but that would raise the cost considerably...

Q950t is the best sounding bar out there. This is for all sources but particularly the Atmos and DTSX content.
Remember that it has 2 more speakers than the SN11RG and is pretty much the same price with the latest Samsung deal

I'm also in the same boat of not knowing what to buy for a new sound system to go with my 65GX LG. . The LG bar is cheaper and I prefer the design but reviews of the sound produced are quite conflicting really. Some like HDTVTest and Avforums say it sounds good, whereas others say it's muffled with poor bass (which would not be acceptable for this sort of spend)

However I can't really stomach Samsung or their attitude to support, and the bugs and codec support omissions reported on the 950 don't give me great confidence. According to Ratings.com neither bar sounds particularly amazing for Atmos, considering they are the flagship soundbars this year from LG and Samsung.

Alternatively I could replace my 5.1 speakers with KEF T305/205 and replace my Onkyo NR-656 amp with the Denon X2700H for the EARC compatibility but that would raise the cost considerably...

I am in 2 minds with trying the Samsung (for now) due to ongoing usability issues which LG have nailed out of the box. It is that deep bass I am missing and for that I have to go back to separates unless Klipsch 54 will magically support DTS.

I am in 2 minds with trying the Samsung (for now) due to ongoing usability issues which LG have nailed out of the box. It is that deep bass I am missing and for that I have to go back to separates unless Klipsch 54 will magically support DTS.
Try it buddy.
If you avoid eArc the only issue is the weird surround sound on startup that just needs a toggle of the sound effect modes to get it back to the intended sound of the selected sound effect mode.
It's an easy workaround and the result is flawless sound from then on.
The bar is very impressive on normal TV content and really does well at upscaling 5.1 into the full 9.1.4 surround, much better than any other system I've heard to be honest.

I can't avoid using EARC though. I have to use EARC as all HDMI (including 2.1 Sources such as PC with RTX 3080, PS5 and XSX coming soon) as well as all the other sources like Apple TV, Switch etc will be connecting to the GX directly and then sound will be output to the soundbar via EARC. Is the Samsung 950 still fine for that use-case with EARC or not?

Also it's going to be mounted to a chimney breast in a victorian terrace front room, so it's open to the left of the bar with nothing to bounce sound off of. This is one reason I want a bar with actual rear channels.

I can't avoid using EARC though. I have to use EARC as all HDMI (including 2.1 Sources such as PC with RTX 3080, PS5 and XSX coming soon) as well as all the other sources like Apple TV, Switch etc will be connecting to the GX directly and then sound will be output to the soundbar via EARC. Is the Samsung 950 still fine for that use-case with EARC or not?

Also it's going to be mounted to a chimney breast in a victorian terrace front room, so it's open to the left of the bar with nothing to bounce sound off of. This is one reason I want a bar with actual rear channels.
eArc gives lossy Atmos only and no DTSX.
The PS5 can't do Atmos anyway and the XSX does compressed Atmos anyway (unless playing a movie via 4K Blu Ray).

I think this is steering me back towards an AVR if there are issues with passing specific formats via EARC. My Apple TV 4K can only pass uncompressed ATMOS so that wouldn't work with the EARC passthrough method right?

I think this is steering me back towards an AVR if there are issues with passing specific formats via EARC. My Apple TV 4K can only pass uncompressed ATMOS so that wouldn't work with the EARC passthrough method right?
It would work but you'd get compressed Atmos from the bar.

Yer, I think that sort of basic compromise when you're paying £1500 (outside of the special offer) is not something I could accept. Seperates it is...

A
Give it a try. The reason I did not went with LG is the weak bass. I had SK10 two years ago. The weak bass and no support for DTSX made me replace it with Samsung N950. I still have the Samsung with my Sony OLED. The LG did have very convincing overhead effects.

Based on reviewers and users like yourself, LG has weak bass.

A

Give it a try. The reason I did not went with LG is the weak bass. I had SK10 two years ago. The weak bass and no support for DTSX made me replace it with Samsung N950. I still have the Samsung with my Sony OLED. The LG did have very convincing overhead effects.

Based on reviewers and users like yourself, LG has weak bass.

Measured lowest frequency on the LG SN11 sub is 28Hz and 29.1 Hz on Q950TS. Not like the bass is weak but I am mainly missing the frequencies under 30Hz as I am used to ear piercing bass with my ex-subs (12 Hz).

I think what the reviews of the SN11RG say is that the bass is uncontrolled an a bit rowdy/boomy. Living in a terraced house I usually have to turn the bass down anyway, but not having any bass response for rear channels on the LG bar doesn't sound great if it's true.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom