LG Smart TVs - Freeview Guide appallingly slow to load

Something (for the worse) has changed recently. Now my LG TV can take 4, maybe 5 minutes before the EPG is populated/updated.

Yes, I did a full retune a couple of days ago. Things are a bit better, now it only takes about 2 mins to populate/refresh. Still rubbish though.

I mean General -> Reset to Initial Settings.
not a retune.

I had to do this to clear up my guide once, freeview started getting messed up and picking up freesats icons among other things.

LG TVs really are a mess, aren’t they? A Sony for me, next time. 10+ years from my Sony HD TVs, problem free.

LG TVs really are a mess, aren’t they? A Sony for me, next time. 10+ years from my Sony HD TVs, problem free.
Panasonic for me, if only they made a decent smart side of it.

Samsung make the most usable and stable if not brilliant TVs, they just seem to work.
To be fair to LG, they do push out updates.

As for Sony, I have/had two, One kept turning itself off on BBC channels so had to use an external box and the other is temperamental and their apps and menu structure was terrible. A bit too locked in to Sony. Picture was great.
I assume they're better now, but I won't touch them.

Odd, isn’t it, people’s experiences differing so much. Perhaps it shows just how rubbish mass produced stuff really is, lacking any real consistency, just the opposite of what might be expected.

Been reading this thread with interest. I too have more than one LG TV with appallingly slow EPG.
I have two (recently purchased earlier this year) LG TVs with WebOS version 05.00.10 (OLED and NanoCell) - just recently updated to this version from 05.00.?? and still unusable Guide. The previous update made things far worse but I was not paying attention to versions at that point.
But.......
I have another LG TV (slightly older - Nov 2018 - UK6470PLC, no idea what it is called though) that has recently had an update to version 05.20.15 and this has greatly improved the EPG (it was previously unusable on the old version).
So hopefully LG will roll out version 05.20 to my other TVs and I can enjoy these otherwise great TVs.

Something has definitely changed, EPG performance wise.

I‘m now being nagged by my TV to apply the 05.00.10 update, but really don’t want to do it so close to the Christmas period. A bricked TV now would be far from ideal.

The EPG is now taking several minutes to refresh in places. If I check the EPG whilst watching say ITVHD, the guide updates reasonably quickly for those channels around what I’m watching. I can scroll up and 3 or 4 of the channels above are also filled-in. Go beyond that and the guide is totally blank for several minutes.

Power-cycling the TV, or doing an auto tune does result in a more snappier performance for a little while, but it’s hardly stellar. I also found that trying to switch from Freeview to Freesat when the guide is in a mess resulted in a weird situation whereby I was getting an odd Freeview guide whilst watching Freesat!

This could be something to do with a recent transmission change somewhere. It’s pointless talking to LG about this, or any other problems with their TV products. You’ll just get a flat denial that anything is wrong, the bog standard compatibility excuse or an offer to have the TV carted away for unspecified repairs.

Odd that in the age of all this so-called technology I’m now having to revert to my regular copy of the Radio Times in order to find out what’s currently airing.

I've also experienced this issue - Initially I just powered the TV off at the wall for 30 seconds, then let it boot back up and would work fine for a few days/weeks.

However, I've since put the TV on a static IP address and set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 (was my local router IP) and TV guide performance is much improved.

(49SM9000PLA with software v05.00.10 - 1Gbps wired connection to 80Mbs Internet via Vodafone using my own Netgear R7800 router - for anyone who wants technical details)

Worth a try I guess for others with issues?

Tam

^ This helped me :) and my very slow EPG LG 43UM7450PLA 43" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV...I will never buy another LG TV. :-(

Thank you.

After a earlier post stating me changing lnb etc to cure slow freesat epg, i finally bought a Manhattan freesat box.
What a difference absolutely superb now.
I also removed nuisance banner popping up with "home launch" someone in LG worked really hard to hide that menu.

Hi @Tam1
Sorry for being thick - but can I check; you assigned a Fixed IP for the TV via your Router LAN IP settings and then on the TV itself you changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 ?
Is that right -if not can you please provide more details?

Hi @Tam1
Sorry for being thick - but can I check; you assigned a Fixed IP for the TV via your Router LAN IP settings and then on the TV itself you changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 ?
Is that right -if not can you please provide more details?
8.8.8.8 is just google DNS server, you could alter that on your router if you want, normally it'll be set to whatever your ISP provide (as it should be the quickest unless it needs to fetch from a larger DNS)

8.8.8.8 is just google DNS server, you could alter that on your router if you want, normally it'll be set to whatever your ISP provide (as it should be the quickest unless it needs to fetch from a larger DNS)
Thanks - finally got round to doing this. I will update here the results after a few days.

New one on my last night. Using the EPG, I selected one of those 5-minute programmes that sometimes appear on Talking Pictures TV, as I wanted to see what it was about. My 49SM8500PLA decided instead that I wanted to load the Freeview Play app. Thinking that I'd made a mistake and hit the wrong button on the remote, I finally got back to live TV, and tried again. Same result. My LG TV really is a piece of junk. As soon as we get back to some semblance of 'old' normal, it's going to be replaced. Biggest pile of excrement that I've ever purchased. One fault/bug after another. Sony next time, almost certainly. both of my 11 year old Sony TVs are still going strong.

Our old 43" LG TV (gave away) was fine. New one has very slow guide. Just turned TV on, then switched off at mains. Then back on a minute later. Far better. Found this out on Samsung web site!

Our old 43" LG TV (gave away) was fine. New one has very slow guide. Just turned TV on, then switched off at mains. Then back on a minute later. Far better. Found this out on Samsung web site!
Thank you for this. I've just done this and the guide is immeasurably better. Takes about 5 seconds now down from about 30.

I’ve found that not looking at the guide for a couple of minutes after power-up via remote helps too. Not great though. My 8 year old Panasonic PVR has a faster guide, and that’s saying something!

My LG E6 is also suffering from excessively slow loading of channel information since the last software update. Yet if I access the guide through my PVR all info is instantly available.

I have read this forum so many times hoping for a fix. But the EPG on my LG 43UM7500PLA (2019) is so, so terrible that yesterday I went out and bought a Manhattan T3 Freeview box. Its a million times better. It's just so good in comparison to the LG EPG. It's instant. And I don't have to use the stupid magic remote either.
The LG TV picture quality is great but the EPG is so bad and I didn't realise that when I bought it there was a difference between HD receiver and HD ready. So disappointed that I can't watch C4 and ITV in HD through the TV's Freeview. Now with the Manhattan its all fixed.

Yes, £170 is quite a high price to pay for 'Free' TV but it's better than punching a hole through the nearly £400 TV.
I just wanted to post this in case anyone else is considering buying a Freeview box to get around the awful EPG. I totally recommend the Manhattan. So fast. And the apps for Iplayer and ITV etc all work much quicker. 4K on Youtube as well. No Netflix which is a shame but the LG TV has Netflix built in so not a problem. Haven't played with it for long but so far no down side and my blood pressure is much lower!

The tv guide on my recently bought 32" LG LM6300PLA is shockingly slow to load and populate. Scheduling reminders is not fast either. It's also a pretty horribly designed tv guide when searching forward and backward. And finally, the left, right, up and down arrow buttons and centre enter button on the remote all feel the same, meaning, they could have put the arrow buttons in a ring shape around the centre button so your fingers know what they're pressing more intuitively without needing to look at it all the time. Apart from those things, it's a pretty nice tv. :D

But I'm going to connect my Manhattan T1 freeview HD box that I've been using with my old Samsung non HD freeview tv, it's excellent, super quick in every way and even improves the HD sharpness.

Is there any way to use a 'normal' Freeview Programme Guide on LG smart sets? On both my main 65E6 and a second Smart LG set in the bedroom, the OS insists on trying to soft-load some over-complicated app-style guide with scrollback options from the internet. The picture and sounds goes off completely and you are stuck on a green loading screen the first time you access it, which especially on the bedroom TV which has no cable box and only a fairly weak wifi connection, takes ages - 20-30 seconds sometimes.

A Freeview guide should be picked up from off-air transmitted data, and thus displayed instantly every time, with no interruption to the background audio of the current TV channel (which is usually shown in the corner of the guide screen). My wife finds this process especially annoying, and we are actually going to have to replace the bedroom TV if I can't solve it. :(

Andre
You can use the browser and radio times.com which is a really good guide. Bookmark it and in the LG browser startup settings set to start with bookmarks or from where you left off. Also in option you can turn on picture in picture to watch while you are looking at the guide. Press the cross to make small while looking at guide. Pick the channel number you want, click on the TV and enter the number. No more painful waiting.

I finally found a workaround for this. You need to go into programme manager and skip as many of the random channels that you'll never watch. For example get rid of all of the regional, international, shopping channels etc. Once you've done this it's a much smaller amount of data the TV has to pull down into the EPG and it loads within a second or 2.

Chopping out the channels that you're not interested in does make a difference, but it's not night and day. I do this whenever I update the channel list. It's still pretty slow.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom