LG Smart TVs - Freeview Guide appallingly slow to load

I feel your pain bigajm, luckily we have Netflix, so use that more than anything....would love to browse through the TV guide and see what’s on, just feel like screaming sometimes it’s soooooo sloooow...then jumps back to today’s TV, just when it started ( I do mean started ) to populate.....I have some programming experience also and really can’t believe that any software developer worth his salt would present an OS and EPG of this dire quality.....Have also now got Disney + ( courtesy of my Grand daughter ) would love to re use the amazon button on the re one for Disney, but No, you can’t do that....🤯🤬😡 oh well thank God the pictures great

Just received a 49SM8050PLC, and almost certainly going to return it due to the slow EPG.

I tried both freeview and freesat, and it seems to be the same on both.

Just received a 49SM8050PLC, and almost certainly going to return it due to the slow EPG.

I tried both freeview and freesat, and it seems to be the same on both.
TBH, given we have Sky and a couple of other PVRs I have never really used the TVs EPG, so it’s hardly a game changer.

We have a brand new 65" SM8600PLA LG TV, and the epg is pretty much unusable. If would be faster to get a copy of the radio times out and look it up manually. I also get light leak around the edges, local dimming is abysmal and had to be switched off. All in all, having come from Panasonic I am deeply unimpressed and can only assume they pay the reviewers for positive reviews.

I would describe the guide on my LG as a ponderous, but not unusable. Local dimming can be controlled, to a degree, but at the end of the day, the SM range are not OLED. My LG isn't perfect, but it's far better than the Panasonic that it replaced, which was also a 2019 model.

I would describe the guide on my LG as a ponderous, but not unusable. Local dimming can be controlled, to a degree, but at the end of the day, the SM range are not OLED. My LG isn't perfect, but it's far better than the Panasonic that it replaced, which was also a 2019 model.

I'm intrigued by your answer, and wonder if there might be a bad batch of lg TVs out there? Certainly LG don't seem to recognise any issue. The local dimming on mine is a joke. Even in the lowest setting it creates top to bottom bands of light and dark across the screen. Which in complex lighting scenes flash on and off disconcertingly. Thankfully it's easy enough to switch off altogether. But then, that was one of the features I paid for in this TV, so that's not good.

The guide can take a full 6 seconds to populate. Which I consider unusable. This has pushed me toward using Netflix/iPlayer/Prime instead of live TV, as they do at least work smoothly. Also.. Is there any way at all of just flicking through the live channels without actually turning the channel over on LG OS? If there is, it's well hidden. All in all, useability wise, it's a big step back from my old Panasonic, which I still have in another room.

The local dimming on my set was awful as well - utterly useless and OFF is the only sensible setting.

Define 'flicking through the channels'? You can press LIST to get a mini-epg that is less awful than the full EPG.

In the end I returned my set, as it also had pretty bad backlight bleeding (which John Lewis will accept as a fault, unlike the slow OS).

The local dimming on my set was awful as well - utterly useless and OFF is the only sensible setting.

Define 'flicking through the channels'? You can press LIST to get a mini-epg that is less awful than the full EPG.

In the end I returned my set, as it also had pretty bad backlight bleeding (which John Lewis will accept as a fault, unlike the slow OS).

I should have returned mine, just didn't want the faff at the time. Just know i won't get an LG again.

Hard to define what I mean by flicking through, maybe it's just the way I used previous TV's.

Previously, I found that viewing one channel and then pressing up or down on the remote allowed you to quickly flick through the other channels and see what was on without bringing up the whole guide and without actually changing channel. If you found something you liked, you just press select and go straight to it. On the LG, pressing up or down just changes the channel. She's that make sense??

My LG Model 42LE5 310-TC, 2011, receives digital free to air channels, no internet. Sydney.
The TV Guide (EPG) showing what is on each channel, loses all information whenever the TV is turned off, even for one second. How can the data be kept?

And it is slow and laborious to populate the Guide every time; I have to select Channel 1, bring up the Guide, wait till it fills the slots, select channel 2, wait till it fills the slots, select channel 3….channel 7 then 9. Ridiculous! Where is the one-press automatic way to fill the Guide please?

What is this Freeview App they speak of, will it help, and can I install it without Internet connection?

I just bought an LG 32LM63 and the first thing I did after setting it up was to google "LG TV guide slow". Massively disappointed and won't ever buy an LG TV again. It takes 5 or 6 seconds to bring up the guide or the channel list (the old tiny non-WiFi LG TV this new one replaced brought up the FreeView guid instantly).

The new remote control is also worse with squidgy buttons so I'm tempted to keep using the old TV's one even though it doesn't have some of the new buttons.

I just bought an LG 32LM63 and the first thing I did after setting it up was to google "LG TV guide slow". Massively disappointed and won't ever buy an LG TV again. It takes 5 or 6 seconds to bring up the guide or the channel list (the old tiny non-WiFi LG TV this new one replaced brought up the FreeView guid instantly).

The new remote control is also worse with squidgy buttons so I'm tempted to keep using the old TV's one even though it doesn't have some of the new buttons.

5-6 seconds you are lucky 😂 mine takes up to 30 seconds, then if I don’t keep moving the remote button up or down it goes back to the today offerings, instead of the day I was looking at.....really do t use it any more...luckily have Netflix, so scheduled TV has taken a back seat....picture great WEB OS rubbish....I won’t get an LG again

I write apps for mobile phones for a living and there's absolutely no excuse for something like an EPG screen not appearing *instantly*. Cache the results from the previous time, and download the data for the guide in the background, it'll be just kilobytes of data ***. I can get my games to display a complex screen on a 10 year old mobile phone in less than a 60th of a second.

I guess I'm stuck with this new LG TV, but if it took 30 seconds I think I'd take it back to the shop and demand my money back.

I'm going to get onto the LG support chat tomorrow morning, but I'm not expecting much.

Waste of time, LG just tell me it’s not fully implemented....as it’s not a true Freesat tv.....even though it’s advertised as such....they even advertise it as a twin tuner, when it has a single one with two inputs....Not the same, but they don’t understand or don’t want to understand......so much on the WEBOS I would like to change, I sent them a long list, but no companies listen to their customers.....my LGOLED55C9PLA is now obsolete only 1 year old.....they just keep churning out new models with the same problems, instead of learning from US and producing something worthwhile..

I have ‘ dabbled ‘ in programming starting with a ZX80.....and absolutely know this OS can be so much better.

good luck, keep safe and well

The 55OLEDB7 downstairs connected via Ethernet does not seem to have the problem. Program List and Guide takes about a second to populate. The crappy 43UM7600 I have in the Bedroom connected via Wifi suffers the annoying problem.

I too contacted LG and got nowhere; they know of the problem as its pasted on some of their reviews on several different TV sets.

Big companies have no real interest in doing anything to fix issues, unless their bottom line is involved. LG is no different. Most a/v electronics is half-baked, in a rush to get products to market, with the promise of fixes down the line that never come. Sadly, it’s a case of picking the best of a bad bunch. As much as I like my LG TV, I can’t see me buying another. Too many oddities and issues.

I got the fobbing off from LG:

"I have taken a look into this for you and as the guide loads once selected, it taking a few seconds to load is normal. I advise going to settings > all settings> general > quick start + > off as this may help slightly but overall this is not unusual for it to take a few seconds to load. You can also check your signal in settings > All settings > programmes > programme tuning & settings> signal test to check that your signal is fine and all percentages above 80%"

It shouldn't be 'normal' to take a few seconds to load. Maybe in 1990, but not in 2020.

Don’t think there is a solution other than LG updating / improving the WEBOS which isn’t going to happen

They know it's a problem, it is normal for their TVs, so they are not lieing.

A few months ago they out it a fix to the TV's (UM series) that made it bearable to use. before that it was headbutt the screen time.
(or grab you phone, load a Freeview/Freesat etc app and look at the guide that way.)

So they do listen and do know they are shite.

They also recently fixed the FreesatHD HD channel problems they always "denied" as your signal is too strong/too weak, but at least they fixed it eventually.

the worst bit is webOS in itself is open source

oh and if they are fobbing you off it is not a FreeSAT TV it is, and we get nice coloured logo's. The Freeview is just as slow but they don't get the nice icons.

I use both on my UM series TVs.
So I guess it's not a Freeview TV either ;-)

They know it's a problem, it is normal for their TVs, so they are not lieing.

A few months ago they out it a fix to the TV's (UM series) that made it bearable to use. before that it was headbutt the screen time.
(or grab you phone, load a Freeview/Freesat etc app and look at the guide that way.)

So they do listen and do know they are sh*te.

They also recently fixed the FreesatHD HD channel problems they always "denied" as your signal is too strong/too weak, but at least they fixed it eventually.

the worst bit is webOS in itself is open source

oh and if they are fobbing you off it is not a FreeSAT TV it is, and we get nice coloured logo's. The Freeview is just as slow but they don't get the nice icons.

I use both on my UM series TVs.
So I guess it's not a Freeview TV either ;-)
I said that it IS a Freesat TV, but LG insisted it was an ‘ implementation ‘ of Freesat, not the full service......totally confusing....just as well the picture is awesome......wish I could save the video settings to a USB pen, one of the many may ideas I forwarded to LG, NEVER to see the light of day 🤯

I said that it IS a Freesat TV, but LG insisted it was an ‘ implementation ‘ of Freesat, not the full service......totally confusing....just as well the picture is awesome......wish I could save the video settings to a USB pen, one of the many may ideas I forwarded to LG, NEVER to see the light of day 🤯
I was meaning what they said, it's not a fully implemented FreeviewTV either then ;-)

It's an OK TV with OK picture quality, (UM series, not sure what you have). could do with a beeffier processor in them to make everything snappy. Given it uses an KG account, why not just cloud save settings.

Could do with not reloading the damn EPG every time for no reason.

Smart side of thing is pretty good though and Alexa control works, screen casting/extended screen from my phone and laptops is quick and simple.
Air mouse I still like a lot (but then I love it on the Wii also).
Too much blue light and led casting when matching 'black banded' stuff.

Price is great mind for what you get.

The IOT implementation is pointless and could do with work to integrate with open, but used, technologies.

Big companies have no real interest in doing anything to fix issues, unless their bottom line is involved. LG is no different. Most a/v electronics is half-baked, in a rush to get products to market, with the promise of fixes down the line that never come. Sadly, it’s a case of picking the best of a bad bunch. As much as I like my LG TV, I can’t see me buying another. Too many oddities and issues.
What oddities and issues? We have two LG TVs (one being the C9) and apart from the rubbish EPG (which I never use anyway as we have Sky and Youview) I'm not aware of any other issues.

Maybe nothing really serious......these are the ideas I forwarded to LG

LG TV feature requests
1-disable floating pointer
2- name hard drives
3-be able to delete empty folders, not just video files
4-make pixel refresh automatically on cumulative hours
5-pixel refresh page confusing needs redescribing.
6-allow more padding time for recordings, up to 1 hr user defined
7-allow custom recordings to be given a name to help remember what they are
8-allow saving of TV settings to a file on a usb pen or HDD.....several named files would be good, then family could chose their favourite settings and load the file from a usb pen / hard drive. Plus could have settings that are in test, in case doesn’t work out
9+a text file to describe firmware update content is
10- would like a feature request section on LG website for ideas and allow voting, you would then have an easy access to ideas & their popularity
11-Allow setting of recordings manual or through E.P.G. To have ALL options available I.e. Pad time recurring recoding etc. Without having to exit and go back to Edit mode to change the other settings.

I can think of a few more:

-- An easy way to switch between Freeview and Freesat
-- Recordings in standby that actually worked properly
-- To suppress the continual nagware pop-up that a new firmware update is available

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom