LG Smart TVs - Freeview Guide appallingly slow to load

andrewilley

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to use a 'normal' Freeview Programme Guide on LG smart sets? On both my main 65E6 and a second Smart LG set in the bedroom, the OS insists on trying to soft-load some over-complicated app-style guide with scrollback options from the internet. The picture and sounds goes off completely and you are stuck on a green loading screen the first time you access it, which especially on the bedroom TV which has no cable box and only a fairly weak wifi connection, takes ages - 20-30 seconds sometimes.

A Freeview guide should be picked up from off-air transmitted data, and thus displayed instantly every time, with no interruption to the background audio of the current TV channel (which is usually shown in the corner of the guide screen). My wife finds this process especially annoying, and we are actually going to have to replace the bedroom TV if I can't solve it. :(

Andre

I've always considered this appalling Freeview app to be the one great weakness of LG TVs. I believe it's the same for everyone and certainly is for me hence why I rarely use it. Try using List instead which brings up a channel list as a sidebar including what is currently on now immediatlely.

Yeah, found that. But my wife wants to turn the TV on and scroll through the guide to see a grid of what's coming up on different channels. Pretty basic functionality for any Freeview TV, expect LG think you should wait 20-30 seconds for it. :(

Andre

Yeah, found that. But my wife wants to turn the TV on and scroll through the guide to see a grid of what's coming up on different channels. Pretty basic functionality for any Freeview TV, expect LG think you should wait 20-30 seconds for it. :(

Andre
In that case your wife will simply have to be patient or change your TV. It’s one flaw in an otherwise great TV.

Last edited:
In that case your wife will simply have to be patient or change your TV. It’s one flow in an otherwise great TV.

Sadly, it'll be a case of changing the TV. The 65E6 in the lounge is fine as we always watch through cable (hence I hadn't even noticed the problem) but the newer bedroom TV is Freeview and the guide issue is a deal-breaker I think. Shame, there aren't a lot of other decent 28" sets around at the moment.

Andre

Or get an external Freeview tuner? Not ideal but might work out cheaper and better than changing the TV if you’re otherwise happy with it.

I don’t think that the EPG is that fast on my LG, but then it doesn’t seem that fast on my old Sony or Panasonic TVs either. That said, I don’t think that the guide is refreshed until it’s accessed. I’ve found that if I power-up the TV and use it for a while, and then access the guide, it’s still showing entries from when I last used it, which could be a day or so earlier. I think that EPG caching should start that the moment that the TV is powered-up, if Freeview is the source for viewing. It’s a bit of a PITA, but no biggie compared to the lip sync issues that I get.

Clem

Our 4 year old LG 4K tv is ok most of the time in loading the EPG. The actual screen is very quick to appear on the screen when pressing the guide button, and most of the time the programmes load up straight away, but occasionally the guide shows what’s on now, and the rest is blank and I can’t see what’s on next. Usually turning off/ on the tv sorts it out. Or my phone is normally within arms reach so I just look on the tvguide app. It’s never been a deal breaker for me as the operating system is very fast, which is something other brands of tv struggle with!

I have just bought the 28TL510S white from Europe. I had assumed this was a bad product until I saw this forum. So disappointing on what would be a good product. I have been also getting apps recycling due to freeing memory. So putting 2+2 together and possibly getting a wrong conclusion I had assumed this might be all related to lack of sufficient memory problem. Can anyone point me to how/where I can add more memory? Is is just simple like adding a USB flashdrive?

Thanks

Last edited:
Our 4 year old LG 4K tv is ok most of the time in loading the EPG. The actual screen is very quick to appear on the screen when pressing the guide button, and most of the time the programmes load up straight away, but occasionally the guide shows what’s on now, and the rest is blank and I can’t see what’s on next. Usually turning off/ on the tv sorts it out. Or my phone is normally within arms reach so I just look on the tvguide app. It’s never been a deal breaker for me as the operating system is very fast, which is something other brands of tv struggle with!
What app are you using? Thanks

Yesterday I had a firmware update installed on my UM437600PLA upstairs. I too was complaining to LG UK with regard to the slow EPG and Program List taking between 6-10 seconds to populate.

Since the new update Version 04.71.30 seems to have resolved the issue. For how long, I have no idea.

Last edited:
Yes, same TV and today my Guide seemed much quicker with no idea why (before you wanted to punch it, slower than my 10 year old Humax, similar to the old Panasonic but that remember the guide details. and any samsung TV puta it to shame. The only thing as bad was an really old dirt cheap freeview box.

Just checked and running the 04.71.30 version. finger crossed.
Hopefully they are doing something sensible and bulk loading the epg overnight, only checking to see if anything has changed and well actually remembering it had just downloaded the data.

Still some noticeable lag though, so not smooth as these should be by now. Small step though. At least they are updating the TV

Yes, like others mine updated and was faster, for a while. Still very sluggish and the green cartoon tv image just sits there. I had a long discussion with LG tech support who surprisingly do not see this as a 'fault' in the implementation. Insisted it was a poor signal problem, even though I have four other TVs (Samsung and Sony) that pop up the epg in milliseconds. They then tried to tell me these were 'sucking' the signal strength (Even while not on?). Absolutely not accepting there is a problem with their implementation of using Apps and not providing enough memory storage for the apps. EPG App sometimes loops, trying to 'free up memory'. Had to unload some apps to even get the guide to run. I will never buy LG again, just on principle of customer problem rejection.

I've always considered this appalling Freeview app to be the one great weakness of LG TVs. I believe it's the same for everyone and certainly is for me hence why I rarely use it. Try using List instead which brings up a channel list as a sidebar including what is currently on now immediatlely.

I have an LGOLED55C9PLA amazing TV, but can’t get the TV guide to show more than 2-3 days, my previous 10 year old Panasonic tv was perfect, always there instantly, so much for technology, is there a fix ?

I have an LGOLED55C9PLA amazing TV, but can’t get the TV guide to show more than 2-3 days, my previous 10 year old Panasonic tv was perfect, always there instantly, so much for technology, is there a fix ?

Are you switching it off at the power socket overnight or leaving it in standby?

As far as I know it downloads from the satellite....

You have also stated the guide doesn’t fully populate on Freeview.
If your model has “Freeview Play” I believe it requires an internet connection.

Some TV's auto-update during the early hours.
It wouldn't hurt to leave your router on for a few days just to rule it out.

Can't believe some of the incorrect information written in this thread.
The (LG) EPG is abismal and the more apps which are installed the slower loading of the EPG occurs.
If you want the EPG to populate as quickly as possible. Do a factory reset and DONT load or use any apps.
It works I've tested it but unfortunately that is not the reason we have purchased smart TVs hence like others have correctly said it will also be my last (LG) product on this premise.

Can't believe some of the incorrect information written in this thread.
The (LG) EPG is abismal and the more apps which are installed the slower loading of the EPG occurs.
If you want the EPG to populate as quickly as possible. Do a factory reset and DONT load or use any apps.
It works I've tested it but unfortunately that is not the reason we have purchased smart TVs hence like others have correctly said it will also be my last (LG) product on this premise.

Hello, Finally a solution that might work, I have emailed L.G. Umerous times about the E.P.G. There are also numerous other things I have asked them to improve, but ai seriously doubt they will see the light of day, their engineers and R&D team will be too busy designing the next range of TV’s, to worry about my LGOLED55C9PLA 😱 although if they listened, the next range could be even greater. I plan to uninstall all my apps don't use any anyway and see if the E.P.G. Improves. If not will do a reset, but will physically write down all the. Idea and Audio settings first, can’t imagine going through that learning curve again ( one of my ideas is to have the option to save settings to a USB device ) will post back here any improvements.....presently I look up the E.P.G on my iPad on TV guide ( 14 days 🤯 ) and set a manual TV recording....strange thing there is that if you set a manual recording, you can‘t set recurring recordings, unless you exit come back and chose edit 🤬 a similar thing happens with TV guide recordings, you can set pad time ( 10 minutes is a ridiculous maximum [ another suggestion to L.G.] but not recurring, or Vice versa, to get the other option Pad time o recurring recording, you must exit and go back and choose edit....what a nonsense......

there are so many oddities is this OS it’s untrue

here is a list of my suggestions, does anyone else have any ideas ?

LG TV feature requests
1-option to disable floating pointer
2- name hard drives
3-be able to delete empty folders, not just video files
4-make pixel refresh automatically on cumulative hours
5-pixel refresh page confusing needs redescribing.
6-allow more padding time for recordings, up to 1 hr user defined
7-allow custom recordings to be given a name to help remember what they are
8-allow saving of TV settings to a file on a usb pen or HDD.....several named files would be good, then family could chose their favourite settings and load the file from a usb pen / hard drive. Plus could have settings that are in test, in case doesn’t work out
9+a text file to describe firmware update features / changes
10- would like a feature request section on LG website for ideas and allow voting, you would then have an easy access to ideas & their popularity
11-Allow setting of recordings manual or through E.P.G. To have ALL options available I.e. Pad time recurring recoding etc. Without having to exit and go back to Edit mode to change the other settings.

UPDATE

Deleted ALL Apps, powered off TV and on again, the E.P.G. Said downloading, was a bit like watching paint dry, but it did eventually fully populate. Bit strange that it reverts to Today, if left for 20-30 seconds, so while waiting for it to populate, have to continually go forward to relevant day, be better if it just stayed on the same day. Went back to settings and back again and the EPG was till fully populated, will see how it is tomorrow....certainly powering off the TV and on again loses all E.P.G programmes. I had an old Panasonic TV, 15 years old and the E.P.G was always there instantly, why it doesn’t populate in the background beats me. Also it’s available for 14 days on TV guide on the internet but only. 7 days on the TV 😡

Last edited:
I must echo the OP's complaint. I've got a 43UM7500 on 60 days' home approval at the moment, and I'm deeply shocked at how slow the EPG is. It's been glacial speed straight out of the box.

My 15-y-o Thomson PVR has a faster EPG which downloads the guide data early each morning, appears instantly when summoned and then lets you scroll through the next 7 days hour-by-hour with the grid data on screen updating instantly, whereas the LG makes you wait 5+ seconds to repopulate every time you scroll in any direction to a fresh page of guide. I'm surprised the LG EPG software got through UAT in comparison (I speak with my previous life's software developer hat on).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom