LG Smart TVs - Freeview Guide appallingly slow to load

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Something (for the worse) has changed recently. Now my LG TV can take 4, maybe 5 minutes before the EPG is populated/updated.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Yes, I did a full retune a couple of days ago. Things are a bit better, now it only takes about 2 mins to populate/refresh. Still rubbish though.

bensimmo

Novice Member
I mean General -> Reset to Initial Settings.
not a retune.

I had to do this to clear up my guide once, freeview started getting messed up and picking up freesats icons among other things.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
LG TVs really are a mess, aren’t they? A Sony for me, next time. 10+ years from my Sony HD TVs, problem free.

bensimmo

Novice Member
LG TVs really are a mess, aren’t they? A Sony for me, next time. 10+ years from my Sony HD TVs, problem free.
Panasonic for me, if only they made a decent smart side of it.

Samsung make the most usable and stable if not brilliant TVs, they just seem to work.
To be fair to LG, they do push out updates.

As for Sony, I have/had two, One kept turning itself off on BBC channels so had to use an external box and the other is temperamental and their apps and menu structure was terrible. A bit too locked in to Sony. Picture was great.
I assume they're better now, but I won't touch them.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Odd, isn’t it, people’s experiences differing so much. Perhaps it shows just how rubbish mass produced stuff really is, lacking any real consistency, just the opposite of what might be expected.

itsnmf

Novice Member
Been reading this thread with interest. I too have more than one LG TV with appallingly slow EPG.
I have two (recently purchased earlier this year) LG TVs with WebOS version 05.00.10 (OLED and NanoCell) - just recently updated to this version from 05.00.?? and still unusable Guide. The previous update made things far worse but I was not paying attention to versions at that point.
But.......
I have another LG TV (slightly older - Nov 2018 - UK6470PLC, no idea what it is called though) that has recently had an update to version 05.20.15 and this has greatly improved the EPG (it was previously unusable on the old version).
So hopefully LG will roll out version 05.20 to my other TVs and I can enjoy these otherwise great TVs.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Something has definitely changed, EPG performance wise.

I‘m now being nagged by my TV to apply the 05.00.10 update, but really don’t want to do it so close to the Christmas period. A bricked TV now would be far from ideal.

The EPG is now taking several minutes to refresh in places. If I check the EPG whilst watching say ITVHD, the guide updates reasonably quickly for those channels around what I’m watching. I can scroll up and 3 or 4 of the channels above are also filled-in. Go beyond that and the guide is totally blank for several minutes.

Power-cycling the TV, or doing an auto tune does result in a more snappier performance for a little while, but it’s hardly stellar. I also found that trying to switch from Freeview to Freesat when the guide is in a mess resulted in a weird situation whereby I was getting an odd Freeview guide whilst watching Freesat!

This could be something to do with a recent transmission change somewhere. It’s pointless talking to LG about this, or any other problems with their TV products. You’ll just get a flat denial that anything is wrong, the bog standard compatibility excuse or an offer to have the TV carted away for unspecified repairs.

Odd that in the age of all this so-called technology I’m now having to revert to my regular copy of the Radio Times in order to find out what’s currently airing.

Tam1

Standard Member
I've also experienced this issue - Initially I just powered the TV off at the wall for 30 seconds, then let it boot back up and would work fine for a few days/weeks.

However, I've since put the TV on a static IP address and set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 (was my local router IP) and TV guide performance is much improved.

(49SM9000PLA with software v05.00.10 - 1Gbps wired connection to 80Mbs Internet via Vodafone using my own Netgear R7800 router - for anyone who wants technical details)

Worth a try I guess for others with issues?

Tam

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom