LG Smart TVs - Freeview Guide appallingly slow to load

reddwarf4ever

Novice Member
Think I found a way to switch between freeview and Freesat easily, open tvguide, top right Filter and choose a antennae ( free view ) or Freesat
is that any easier don’t get a pop up for firmware Ever....haven’t tried recordings in standby......

bensimmo

Novice Member
I can think of a few more:

-- An easy way to switch between Freeview and Freesat
-- Recordings in standby that actually worked properly
-- To suppress the continual nagware pop-up that a new firmware update is available

LIST (or guide) - Yellow - select antenna or satellite
but my 10ish year old Panasonic you just need the one button.

Just update the firmware or remove auto updates/notifications?

Add...
- FreeSat and Non-FreeSat channels (so you can get C4 HD back easily etc)

- Just decent PVR facilities as default, even look back 10 years and copy Humax etc

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I'm aware of the switching exercise, but it's still a faff. Why not an an option on the Magic Remote using the '...' option? The issue here is that LG TVs aren't true Freesat-capable units, it's just an overlay on the generic DSAT tuning interface. True Freesat kit would have a manual tune option, so that channels like C4HD could be added.

bensimmo

Novice Member
I'm aware of the switching exercise, but it's still a faff. Why not an an option on the Magic Remote using the '...' option? The issue here is that LG TVs aren't true Freesat-capable units, it's just an overlay on the generic DSAT tuning interface. True Freesat kit would have a manual tune option, so that channels like C4HD could be added.
why would true Freesat have that? none of my Freesat have it as part of a Freesat option, it just an addition option they have and you have to select it like switching between TV, aux, sat etc.

A better and to me obvious place for the switching would just be the input button and select Sat/Cable/Ant there since it just an Input change.
And hence on the homedashboard, last smart stuff (holding down home) etc.

I don't see the often not know ... is useful, other than a bit quicker than having it open the slower guide/list.

As if any of this is going to happen, we can improve it all day long.

bensimmo

Novice Member
It's part of the Freesat spec. My Humax PVRs have C4HD stored for use in non-Freesat mode.
The very old PVR (foxsat-hdr) I have it injected into the Freesat guide.

You can manually tube the LG, just for some reason LG decided it can't be at he same time as Freesat tuning. hey ho, to much like hard work to implement well.
Saying that the only Freesat you can buy now is the two new UHD Freesat boxes, nothing else if you look at thier website, no TVs etc on there any more (LG used to be).

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I can't manually tune my LG for non-Freesat mode. The software blocks it. It's not a big issue per se, but LG is being economical with the truth when they state that their sets support Freesat, because they're not fully compliant. In any event, I get C4HD on Freeview, so unless my TV aerial blows down I should be OK.

reddwarf4ever

Novice Member
My LGOLED55C9PLA apparently has come to the end of its life, being almost a year old 🤯 just noticed it on Amazon, Used like New £1600 I only paid £1400 with a 6 year P&L guarantee February 2020, maybe they are going up in value 😂

Airtoolman

Novice Member
For months i have tried to find a solution to my lg tv freesat epg slow issue.It was slow to populate when scrolling down sometimes waiting 10-15 sec.
I wondered if it was my old LNB on dish so i changed it when i noticed a crack but it made no difference, so i then bought a Konig sat meter.
Today i ventured up the ladder rotated LNB and pulled dish in two planes until i got the best signal, my epg is now much faster.
Not sure if it will work for everyone, just to mention i did not try the idea of removing some apps to improve epg.

bensimmo

Novice Member
My TV just failed an update, the other hasn't tried yet..

I guess it this : UM Tvs
Let's see what it breaks, since we were/are at 04.80.something iirc and they just fixed FreesatHD
[05.00.02]
1. Expanding the launcher's advertisement function
2. Launcher exposure when TV is turned on
3. LG Channel service improvement and expansion (Korea, North America, Europe, Brazil only)

Looks like it going to be a pay per advert TV soon.

reddwarf4ever

Novice Member
My LGOLED55C9PLA just had an update, they NEVER tell you what the update includes, one of my Gripes with LG. Since the update, every time I open a TV channel, 3-5 seconds later, the Menu bar opens at the bottom, I HATE THIS INTRUSION. This ‘ for want of a better word ‘ Feature should have an off option.....I contacted LG and was told to press the return or ok button to clear it, I said why should I have to ? I don’t want this, it’s now been raised as a VOC......I argued it should just be fixed immediately if a bug or add an option to disable if by design......really fed up with LG....

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Does not loading the EPG top appallingly slow? I fired-up my 49SM9500PLA yesterday evening, waited a minute or two then checked the Freeview EPG. After about 30 seconds the current page updated, but moving up or down the guide didn’t generate any updates, just loads if blanks. Selecting a channel number directly didn’t work either, only up/down channel. After leaving it several hours, I checked again after some Netflix viewing. No change, so I had power cycle the TV by pulling the mains plug. Hopeless.

reddwarf4ever

Novice Member
Anyone else having this problem since the update ? Every time I choose a TV channel I get the Home Menu bar at the bottom of the screen.....so annoying.......want to stop this happening....

reddwarf4ever

Novice Member
Maybe we should all badger LG to fix this, it’s 100% their fault, or is it possible to roll back an update ? Although I guess that’s unlikely

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
TBH, it doesn’t bother me that much in the scheme of things. My LG has so many other issues, so this change is way down my list.

reddwarf4ever

Novice Member
I see your point, but it’s so annoying that L.G. 1-Came up with such a stupid idea, with no option to disable it or 2-introduced a bug and didn’t even test the update properly either way its irresponsible

reddwarf4ever

Novice Member
F
Yup, same here, and the Netflix app. highlighted.
found out elsewhere that this can be disabled Settings > General > Additional Settings > Home Settings > turn off home auto launch

maybe the firmware update enabled this, but now it’s fixed.....must tell LG, as they had no idea how to resolve this 🤯

reddwarf4ever

Novice Member
Does not loading the EPG top appallingly slow? I fired-up my 49SM9500PLA yesterday evening, waited a minute or two then checked the Freeview EPG. After about 30 seconds the current page updated, but moving up or down the guide didn’t generate any updates, just loads if blanks. Selecting a channel number directly didn’t work either, only up/down channel. After leaving it several hours, I checked again after some Netflix viewing. No change, so I had power cycle the TV by pulling the mains plug. Hopeless.
We all feel your pain, it’s hopeless, the only solution is to get a Freesat / free view box and connect to the TV......which really shouldn’t be necessary, these TVs are not cheap

bensimmo

Novice Member
I'm still on with LG twitter about the bar popping up, it slows it down and when using the TV renders changing channel. Worst it annoys my wife too :mad:

I see you've found a solution, that's nicely hidden away.

reddwarf4ever

Novice Member
You need to suggest these through their contact us site.....

on e registered, it does remember your details TV model etc.

also had this email address as a direct reply......maybe everyone could ‘ vent’ their opinions in this way much more direct
[email protected]

harry66

Think I found a way to switch between freeview and Freesat easily, open tvguide, top right Filter and choose a antennae ( free view ) or Freesat
is that any easier don’t get a pop up for firmware Ever....haven’t tried recordings in standby......
I found this tip somewhere - this forum or Reddit - can't remember - but it uses the Quick Access feature...
First, I switch to say BBC1 on Antenna and then hold the 1 key down for a few seconds and it asks if I want to add a Quick Access to button 1 - I say yes.
I then switch to BBC1 on Satellite (using your technique) and then hold the 2 key down for a few seconds - and it asks if I want to add to Quick Access button 2.

So, now I can switch between BBC1 Freeview and Freesat by holding down key 1 or 2. Once switched, I can then access the other channels for that signal source using the normal options - guide/list/channel up down etc.

I also missed the lack of HDMI Input selection button that my previous dumb LG remote had. So, I added these to keys 4,5,6 by holding the 0 key down which brings up the Quick Access menu - and from there I can allocate HDMI inputs 1-3 to each of the above keys.

bensimmo

Novice Member
I found this tip somewhere - this forum or Reddit - can't remember - but it uses the Quick Access feature...
First, I switch to say BBC1 on Antenna and then hold the 1 key down for a few seconds and it asks if I want to add a Quick Access to button 1 - I say yes.
I then switch to BBC1 on Satellite (using your technique) and then hold the 2 key down for a few seconds - and it asks if I want to add to Quick Access button 2.

So, now I can switch between BBC1 Freeview and Freesat by holding down key 1 or 2. Once switched, I can then access the other channels for that signal source using the normal options - guide/list/channel up down etc.

I also missed the lack of HDMI Input selection button that my previous dumb LG remote had. So, I added these to keys 4,5,6 by holding the 0 key down which brings up the Quick Access menu - and from there I can allocate HDMI inputs 1-3 to each of the above keys.

So simple, yet so useful. Never used the quick access, seemed pointless to me ;-)

I also noticed the LG TV's (UM) doesn't like the 'TV/Internet' stream, it seems to play some but not others.
I think* that's more stubbornness on LG's part and Arqiva (now leaving freeview, as such) not getting Hbb up and running properly and LG will not enable backwards compatibility.

One of them TV's that's really nice to use generally, but has a few irritating things it could just make so much better. Not so bad for the budget end I buy, but must be really grinding if you're spending 500 quid plus on them.

To far gone to the Smart Side, to remember its main function.

*from a quick read around on the LG TV/WebOS forums

harry66

To far gone to the Smart Side, to remember its main function.

This is our first Smart TV - been waiting patiently for our older 32" LGs to konk out - no such luck:(
However, the new work from home has meant rearranging our living arrangments and suddenly 32" was too small - hence the upgrade.
My missus really does not like the new TV remote - she is still using the old dumb one - which seems to work for most basic TV functions....
I initially set up the Smart Access for her - in an effort to wean her off the old remote. She likes watching some stuff on Satellite - so the fact that she won't have to switch on the old Sat box and fiddle with two controls will hopefully get her used to the new remote.

And yes she also finds the speed of the guide a bit annoying - however, it does not sound as bad as some are reporting - perhaps 5-10secs to populate...

bensimmo

Novice Member
It's much quicker than it used to be, still a lag and waiting and for some reason they don't download and keep the data in the background.

I find my sat epg quicker to update and has easier icons to see channel, that and frees at group together better and don't change every month like freeview's free for all listing, with no logic.

You get used to it, once you remove all decent epgs from the house.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett