LG Smart TV Networking and DNLA Servers

J

JUZZA

Since quite a few members appear to be networking their televisions for Internet access and DNLA servers I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread to focus on these issues.

Would be great to hear about members setup/configurations.

What works, what doesn't and so on...

From my personal perspective everything is working for me as I expected but I noticed quite a few members seem to be having problems accessing their DNLA server after the recent firmware update.

Would it be right to say the common problem here is they are all using Windows 7 as their DNLA server?

It would be useful if those with problems could describe their network setup, which equipment they are using. Better still even mock up a basic diagram.

Hopefully we can all help each other out.

Ok my tv cannot find my tv through plex, I have windows 7, it has found it before but just won't seem to find it now.

Hey guys,
Has anyone experience the LG Smart TV disconnecting from DLNA devices randomly? I have to restart the tv to get the DLNA devices to reappear. I have a 55LW6500.
Thanks.

thanks for making this topic. the dlna problems are driving me nuts. I have a LW650S. The problems appear to be randomly. If I can't find my DLNA servers, most of the time a network test will help, sometimes I have to turn the television off for at least 5 minutes. And even then the LG will sometimes not find my DLNA servers.
I have 3 DLNA servers in my network; one from Linux Mythbuntu, a Twonkymedia from a Western Digital harddisk and a Windows 7 64bit which is not always on.
Between the DLNA servers and the LG are 2 Sitecom gigabit switches. Also connected on the network is a xbox360 which has no problem at all finding the DLNA servers. With the previous update I didn't have these problems.
I really hope LG will solve these problems or do a rollback.

Last edited:
I recently bought the 47lw650t and the dlna just doesn't work at all to my freenas server.

It can find it and browse ok but the second I try and watch anything it just doesn't work.

I've just given up on it if I'm honest as it was just a nice to have option.

Any chance we could get an LG app that lets us browse samba/windows shares as my data is shared out and accesible easily enough from an xtreamer which isn't using dlna.

Or if anyone has any idea why the freenas dlna doesn't work to my telly then I'd love to hear what I've done wrong.

Cheers,
RAD

So is this a problem with only the newer firmware? Was it fine on the old firmware versions?

I could see my dlna server every time before the update. 3 weeks later there was this new update and nothing but trouble since...

@JUZZA
What combination of hardware/software do you use for hosting a DLNA server. I contacted LG today, and they said they did not guarantee or support DLNA on setups that didn't use Nero MediaHome Essentials as the DLNA server software. I have tried streaming from my DLNA Windows 7 PC and my Buffalo NAS device, both with the same result - random disconnects on the LG TV that require a TV reboot.

I use freenas, strangely enough I've had a little bit of success by choosing the DLNA server by using the input button.
When I use the menu 99% of the time it doesn't work but if I use the input button and select the DLNA server that way I've had a bit more success.

I've but a request in to LG to allow us to access CIF/SAMBA shares, I believe they had this previously so shouldn't be too much of a hassle to them.

Hi Guys,

We think we may have found a solution for (some of) the DLNA issues you have been experiencing.

In Windows 7 (and/orXP) please try and select the correct (i.e. ONLY) network adapter you are using to connect to the device.

i.e. if you are using a wireless connection then only select the wireless adapter for DLNA and not BOTH or MULTIPLE wired and wireless adapters.

attachment.php

Hopefully this should help. i'd love to hear from you to know this has solved your issues please? :)

Attachments

• DLNA fix.JPG
    DLNA fix.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 34,474
Thanks for the response, it's good to see LG's presence here. Is it possible to set the network adapter used when hosting DLNA through the inbuilt Windows 7 service? I do not have Nero MediaHome installed. Also, any idea on why the LG TV would be disconnecting from a NAS DLNA server?

Thanks for the response, it's good to see LG's presence here. Is it possible to set the network adapter used when hosting DLNA through the inbuilt Windows 7 service? I do not have Nero MediaHome installed. Also, any idea on why the LG TV would be disconnecting from a NAS DLNA server?
Hi Mick, thanks for the kind comment, the issue with the disconnecting from the NAS may also be related to the windows 7 DLNA server? have you tried it without the PC turned on? we've only found some issues related to my post above so i'm not sure about NAS drives i'm afraid.
not sure if this link would help or not? (I only have XP)
DLNA Setup on a LG Blu-ray Player - LG Consumer Knowledge Base

Hi Guys,

We think we may have found a solution for (some of) the DLNA issues you have been experiencing.

In Windows 7 (and/orXP) please try and select the correct (i.e. ONLY) network adapter you are using to connect to the device.

i.e. if you are using a wireless connection then only select the wireless adapter for DLNA and not BOTH or MULTIPLE wired and wireless adapters.

Dave,
Thanks for taking the time to post this but I suspect not many people are using the Nero mediahome software so not sure how much use this will be. Personally I have mezzmo installed. I take it plex is an alternative media server then, slightly confused as to why anyone would be using the Nero mediahome software?

Cheers

Dave,
Thanks for taking the time to post this but I suspect not many people are using the Nero mediahome software so not sure how much use this will be. Personally I have mezzmo installed. I take it plex is an alternative media server then, slightly confused as to why anyone would be using the Nero mediahome software?

Cheers

Hi Andy, I'm not sure of the exact details but I think the concept of the wireless vs wired network adapter selection does also apply to other OS's... That was the feedback I had from one of our engineers but I don't have Windows 7 to do a screenshot... have you/can anyone try the solution with Windows 7 to see if its ok?

Dave,
Sorry but how can we try it if we don't use Nero Mediahome essentials? The solution is specific to that software :confused:

Cheers

Makes sense, I was told by the LG support rep here in Australia that they didn't support DLNA if you weren't using Nero MediaHome for your server. I would recommend your engineers look at the older versions of SMART TV firmware which apparently didn't suffer from such temperamental DLNA streaming.

Makes sense, I was told by the LG support rep here in Australia that they didn't support DLNA if you weren't using Nero MediaHome for your server. I would recommend your engineers look at the older versions of SMART TV firmware which apparently didn't suffer from such temperamental DLNA streaming.

+1 on that :smashin:

Hi Guys,

Although my screenshot is for Media Home, the fix may still work in the same WAY on Windows 7 (i.e. disable the way it connects multiple adpaters?) I'm not familiar with Windows 7 though so I can't check...? Apologies

Is there that option in windows 7? I am not using any 3rd party software for my DLNA server just using built in windows media centre. I have tried to install PLEX as recomended by CS but the install fails saying i have a newer version of visual studio or something like that and just stops.

To be honest, we as customers should not be having to do this workaround, we should have the option to downgrade back to a previous firmware. Why did LG remove it off their website and why cant anyone in CS/ LG email support supply it!!?

I have a way to downgrade back to the original WORKING firmware (just confirmed myself that DLNA is now working ok) and i am back to 3.7.4 firmware which is what my tv shipped with.

Simply press HOME then SETUP highlight OPTION (but dont enter it) then press 9 several times, TV will reset back to the original firmware that it shipped with.

Why oh why couldnt LG customer services or there Tech department tell me this when i called them several times.

Anyway this fix works for me, hope it helps you (until LG fix the real issues with 4.0.18)

I tried your firmware restore method but it only takes my TV back to 04.01.09 which is still too new to have working DLNA. Can you download the old firmware versions online?

Was that the version that came with your TV? or was it the 'previous' firmware that was on it. Mine came with the version it went back to as i had only done 1 update since.

Call customer services and register your complaint, they told me they cant read AVforums and take the word of people on here as they are 3rd partys. EVERYONE who has the problem must ring them.

Customer Service: 0844 847 5454
Reception: 01753 491 500

The more people complain to them the quicker they will acknowledge the issue (at the moment they are blaming customers equipment like routers ect)

Well that sounds like crap considering they actually do have LG reps who read and write on these boards... like Dave in this thread!

Hi everyone,

I just unpacked my new 42LV375S, everything seems to be working fine, when I connected it to the internet it downloaded some updates, today I tried DLNA, I installed Nero MediaHome 4 Essentials from provided CD, it seems to work properly, there is exception in my firewall for it, but even if I shut down my firewall at all... TV does not see my server.

:oops:

Looks like some serious bug. Server (laptop) is connected wi-fi, TV by cable, to the same router. I can ping the TV normally.

Home LG provide us with some solution soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom