LG Smart TV audio output to LG LH-T550TB surround sound system

lsp78

Novice Member
Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been raised before (I ran a search but couldnt find anything).

I have an LG 55UF950V-ZA TV and a LG LH-T550TB surround system and can't figure out what I need to do to get audio working through the surround system.

I've tried connecting a SCART between the amp and the TV via the AV1 Out/In connection on the TV to the scart jack on the Receiver but this doesn't work.

The surround sound system is old and doesn't have HDMI or Optical Audio in. It only has AV In Audio Input L/R and Video in connectors (yellow, red & white) plus Component Video Out (Red, Green & Blue) together with the SCART Euro AV socket.

Any idea how I get the audio to work?

Many thanks for your help.

Luke.

next010

Distinguished Member
That sound system has only one input labelled as AV IN Video which is composite video, the yellow cable carries video and red/white carries audio.

You need a HDMI audio extractor which will split the stereo audio into the red/white phono cables, then connect those to the T550 AV input, enable HDMI ARC on TV and leave it on PCM (which is stereo).

You will have to manually switch to the correct input on the T550.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Or, use the TV's headphone socket (if it has one?) audio out to the Amp's AV in.

lsp78

Novice Member
That sound system has only one input labelled as AV IN Video which is composite video, the yellow cable carries video and red/white carries audio.

You need a HDMI audio extractor which will split the stereo audio into the red/white phono cables, then connect those to the T550 AV input, enable HDMI ARC on TV and leave it on PCM (which is stereo).

You will have to manually switch to the correct input on the T550.
Okay, great thank you. Do you think the HDMI converter to AV Input is better than getting an optical audio output converter to AV Input or is there little to choose between the two?

lsp78

Novice Member
Or, use the TV's headphone socket (if it has one?) audio out to the Amp's AV in.
Okay, I've not tried this yet. Will it be two channel still or mono?

I didn't realise that this surround sound system will only be 5.1 channel when playing from the DVD player and when playing from the TV will be 2 channel!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Whether you get an HDMI or Optical convertor the resultant output will be stereo the same as the headphone out.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom