LG SM8200 Owners and Discussion Thread

I didn't see a thread for this model, so created one. I've ordered the LG 55SM8200PLA and would like to discuss it with other owners!

Firstly, is anyone able to recommend the best picture settings for this unit?

Surely there must be others in these forums that have this TV? seems like it'd be a popular one, its sold at Currys.

Guess I'll start things off with these settings which I found on the below youtube review. Not sure if they're good or not, but I'll use these settings when my set arrives this week:

• First of all, deactivate energy saving options and Visual Confort Mode.

• Picture calibration for TDT and cable TV in a bright room --
  • 16:9
  • Only scan: On (remove zoom)
  • Picture Mode: Expert (bright room)
  • Backlight: 100
  • Contrast: 100
  • Brightness: 50
  • Sharpness: 30
  • Color: 55
  • Dynamic Contrast: Off
  • Super resolution: Off
  • Color range: Wide
  • Gamma: 2.2
  • Noise reduction: Low
  • MPEG noise reduction: Low
  • Smooth gradation: Off
  • Black level: Automatic
  • Real cinema: On
  • LED Local Dimming: Low

• Picture calibration for HDR in a bright room --
  • Picture Mode: Standard
  • Backlight: 100
  • Contrast: 100
  • Sharpness: 25
  • Color: 65
  • Dynamic contrast: Medium
  • Noise reduction: Off
  • MPEG noise reduction: Off
  • Black level: High

• Picture calibration for HDR in a dark room --
  • Picture Mode: Expert (dark room)
  • Backlight: 80
  • Contrast: 80
  • Sharpness: 15
  • Color: 50
  • Dynamic contrast: Low
  • Noise reduction: Off
  • MPEG noise reduction: Off
  • Black level: Automatic

halster65

Standard Member
Hi there,. I'm looking at this tv and others as a replacement for my Samsung. I would very much like to know how you get on with it when you get it all setup. ..

Hi there,. I'm looking at this tv and others as a replacement for my Samsung. I would very much like to know how you get on with it when you get it all setup. ..
Sure will do (although I must say I'm not very knowledgeable about what makes a good picture/ TV set.) Here is the review from Which?, which is where I first learned about the unit, and what convinced me to get it. It was one of their top-ranked 55" sets under £1k

Which? review
Score: 74%

Overview
It turns out that the potentially tricky middle ground is occupied by a rather brilliant telly.

What is it?
It's the entry-level set in LG's high-end NanoCell LCD range. That means there are OLEDs above it, and cheaper, more basic LCDs below it. Being a NanoCell set gives you access to Nano technology, which is a series of features designed to improve contrast, colour and the detail of the image.
Pricier NanoCell sets also benefit from the Alpha 7 picture processor, but the 8200 doesn't seem to need it. In fact, we thought the picture quality was a touch better on this cheaper range.
The 8200 doesn't support as many HDR formats either. It misses out on the advanced Dolby Vision and Technicolor formats and has to make do with the current industry-standard HDR10, and HLG, which the BBC and others will use to broadcast HDR.
4K footage looks spectacular on this telly, so you owe it to yourself any passers-by who might catch a glimpse through your window to watch some 4K content. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have the biggest ranges, but you will need to pay a monthly subscription.
Free content comes courtesy of a bevy of SD and HD channels. To tune in you need an aerial or satellite, since this TV comes with both tuners.
The four HDMI inputs and two USB ports are at the back of the TV, and the enormous screen makes them tough to reach. You can hide the cables from view in the stand.
What's the picture quality like?
Put on some 4K content and you'll need to pinch yourself to check you aren't dreaming of some TV from the future, the detail is that good. The bright, vibrant colours complement the definition, and the entire experience is a sight to behold. That first hit of 4K isn't something you easily forget, and this is an excellent TV to experience it on.
SD and HD footage are close to the same standard, which isn't something we get to say too often. The balanced, vivid colours don't lose much impact as the resolution drops, which is testament to how good upscaling technology has got in recent years.
Contrast could do with being a little brighter. It's tends to look a bit foggy,, and this can get in the way of the wonderful detail. It's a problem not even HDR can fix, and that's basically the whole point of HDR. Frustratingly, we struggled to see any positive difference that HDR made on the picture quality, but at least it doesn't detract from it either.

What about the sound?
The 55-inch 8200 is the best from the range and it's largely thanks to the sound. Richer mid-range and treble make dialogue that bit richer and clearer. Bass is stronger, too, which gives the soundscape more depth and impact.
One of the HDMI inputs is HDMI ARC, so it's easy to attach a sound bar or surround sound system. It doesn't have one of the newer HDMI eARC inputs, which works similarly to HDMI ARC but can transfer higher-quality audio. We'll probably only see this on a few high-end TVs for now and it's not something a TV must have for you to consider buying it.

What's it like to use?
Operating systems don't get much better than LG's. The majority of the menus and apps sit in a navigation bar at that pops up at the bottom of the screen without obscuring what you're watching. You can reorder the many tabs in it, or let the TV do it based on which you use most. Hovering over one gives you a preview of key settings that are in it, so you can quickly make adjustments. In the case of apps, you will see popular shows or ones you're watching, for easy access.
It's a great system that's made even better by the remote, which has an onscreen pointer making it even easier to choose the tabs and settings you want. That doesn't mean there are no buttons on the remote, though. All the ones you'd see on a more traditional remote are present and better positioned than on many other brands' remotes.
Only some issues around speed let down this TV, and even then it's only really noticeable in the electronic programme guide (EPG). Every new page of listings has a lengthy wait and it's not ideal if you want to see what's on later in the week. We do like the layout, though, as well as the addition of Freeview Play, so you can watch what you've missed from the previous week without loading a catch-up app.
The app store is quicker and packed with recognisable apps to download. You don't need an account to get them, either.

Is there anything else I should know?
Searching for something to watch with your voice is a wonderful feature and so much quicker than typing out your query. You can look for something specific or search more broadly by genre, or even anything starring your favourite actor. The TV scours all your apps and the EPG for results.
Connect a USB hard drive and you can record one show at a time. Just bear in mind that you can't watch something else while you do.

Should I buy it?
100%. It's a special TV that outperforms TVs higher in the range that cost a fair bit more money.

monk1955

Standard Member
Hi halster65.. Followed your recommendation to visit this site for information.
Looking at this set to replace my Samsung 55NU7093 set with the internal memory full problem after only one year. Still waiting to get a conclusion with the retailer here in Greece.
Strangely this LG sm8200 is available here for 550 Euro around £500 usually sets are more expensive than UK. Possibly LG trying to get a foothold in this Samsung dominated country.
Definitely interested so will keep following this thread.

monk1955

Standard Member
Sure will do (although I must say I'm not very knowledgeable about what makes a good picture/ TV set.) Here is the review from Which?, which is where I first learned about the unit, and what convinced me to get it. It was one of their top-ranked 55" sets under £1k

Which? review
Score: 74%

Overview
It turns out that the potentially tricky middle ground is occupied by a rather brilliant telly.

What is it?
It's the entry-level set in LG's high-end NanoCell LCD range. That means there are OLEDs above it, and cheaper, more basic LCDs below it. Being a NanoCell set gives you access to Nano technology, which is a series of features designed to improve contrast, colour and the detail of the image.
Pricier NanoCell sets also benefit from the Alpha 7 picture processor, but the 8200 doesn't seem to need it. In fact, we thought the picture quality was a touch better on this cheaper range.
The 8200 doesn't support as many HDR formats either. It misses out on the advanced Dolby Vision and Technicolor formats and has to make do with the current industry-standard HDR10, and HLG, which the BBC and others will use to broadcast HDR.
4K footage looks spectacular on this telly, so you owe it to yourself any passers-by who might catch a glimpse through your window to watch some 4K content. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have the biggest ranges, but you will need to pay a monthly subscription.
Free content comes courtesy of a bevy of SD and HD channels. To tune in you need an aerial or satellite, since this TV comes with both tuners.
The four HDMI inputs and two USB ports are at the back of the TV, and the enormous screen makes them tough to reach. You can hide the cables from view in the stand.
What's the picture quality like?
Put on some 4K content and you'll need to pinch yourself to check you aren't dreaming of some TV from the future, the detail is that good. The bright, vibrant colours complement the definition, and the entire experience is a sight to behold. That first hit of 4K isn't something you easily forget, and this is an excellent TV to experience it on.
SD and HD footage are close to the same standard, which isn't something we get to say too often. The balanced, vivid colours don't lose much impact as the resolution drops, which is testament to how good upscaling technology has got in recent years.
Contrast could do with being a little brighter. It's tends to look a bit foggy,, and this can get in the way of the wonderful detail. It's a problem not even HDR can fix, and that's basically the whole point of HDR. Frustratingly, we struggled to see any positive difference that HDR made on the picture quality, but at least it doesn't detract from it either.

What about the sound?
The 55-inch 8200 is the best from the range and it's largely thanks to the sound. Richer mid-range and treble make dialogue that bit richer and clearer. Bass is stronger, too, which gives the soundscape more depth and impact.
One of the HDMI inputs is HDMI ARC, so it's easy to attach a sound bar or surround sound system. It doesn't have one of the newer HDMI eARC inputs, which works similarly to HDMI ARC but can transfer higher-quality audio. We'll probably only see this on a few high-end TVs for now and it's not something a TV must have for you to consider buying it.

What's it like to use?
Operating systems don't get much better than LG's. The majority of the menus and apps sit in a navigation bar at that pops up at the bottom of the screen without obscuring what you're watching. You can reorder the many tabs in it, or let the TV do it based on which you use most. Hovering over one gives you a preview of key settings that are in it, so you can quickly make adjustments. In the case of apps, you will see popular shows or ones you're watching, for easy access.
It's a great system that's made even better by the remote, which has an onscreen pointer making it even easier to choose the tabs and settings you want. That doesn't mean there are no buttons on the remote, though. All the ones you'd see on a more traditional remote are present and better positioned than on many other brands' remotes.
Only some issues around speed let down this TV, and even then it's only really noticeable in the electronic programme guide (EPG). Every new page of listings has a lengthy wait and it's not ideal if you want to see what's on later in the week. We do like the layout, though, as well as the addition of Freeview Play, so you can watch what you've missed from the previous week without loading a catch-up app.
The app store is quicker and packed with recognisable apps to download. You don't need an account to get them, either.

Is there anything else I should know?
Searching for something to watch with your voice is a wonderful feature and so much quicker than typing out your query. You can look for something specific or search more broadly by genre, or even anything starring your favourite actor. The TV scours all your apps and the EPG for results.
Connect a USB hard drive and you can record one show at a time. Just bear in mind that you can't watch something else while you do.

Should I buy it?
100%. It's a special TV that outperforms TVs higher in the range that cost a fair bit more money.
Thank you for the full report, as said below waiting for a refund from Samsung retailer after my Samsung 55NU7093 internal memory problem. Once sorted I'm in!!

halster65

Standard Member
Im having the exact problem with my nu7400 bought from John lewis...ive had the tv for over 15months, and ive already had the board replaced. JL are trying to wash their hands of this saying its a samsung problem and not theirs.

I've been on the phone all day with them, didnt get anywhere, even after speaking with the manager ..i will be writing to head office and making a complaint

monk1955

Standard Member
Viewed the LG SM8200 at a retailer. It was the only 55" set they had all the others being smaller , she did turn off other sets around it so i got a decent feel for the picture.
The TV was set up in Greek, Guess it was in vivid or retailer mode and the sales person was reluctant to let me loose with the remote. but what i did see was a decent picture at a good price 550 Euro.
I don't need all the bells and whistles that other might.

The Which report above is very good so this is probably the one i will go for when Samsung finally agree the NU7093 internal memory problem is irreparable.

halster65

Standard Member
I just hope this model is still available when our issues with the samsung is sorted. I really wanted the sm8600, but as of last week, its not available to buy anywhere, only refurbished available now...but the 8200 looks good, but its its an exclusive to currys here, and they have TERRIBLE customer service..god forbid if anything should go wrong with the tv with these guys....

monk1955

Standard Member
The SM8200 in on sale here at Kotsovolos which is part of the Curry's group.
But also on sale at independent retailers, don't like exclusive to retailer models so will look into that.
Good luck with your Samsung refund, I'm not expecting much joy with the retailer here. Consumer law is much the same as UK but not enforced with the likes of Trading Standards.
So looks like contacting Credit Card Company, keep on the Samsung community website for an update.

monk1955

Standard Member
I didn't see a thread for this model, so created one. I've ordered the LG 55SM8200PLA and would like to discuss it with other owners!

Firstly, is anyone able to recommend the best picture settings for this unit?
Hi Has your set arrived and is it living up to your expectations?
Let us know what you think.
thank you.

Hi Has your set arrived and is it living up to your expectations?
Let us know what you think.
thank you.
The TV arrived yesterday, and I watched an hour of a blu-ray and, and played an hour of the PS4 Pro. I used the settings I posted in my first post. I'm not very knowledgeable about what makes a good picture/ TV set, but to my eyes it all looked good and I happy with the picture

thesh8pe

Love it so far, got the 65 version. Has anyone got the calibration settings for gaming? I got some just before Christmas but could do with a bit of tweaking.

halster65

Standard Member
I'm looking to get the SM8050 from RS, the 8200 from currys doesnt come with a long term garentee, otherwise i would've gotten that.

Cant wait!

thesh8pe

Where did you get the settings from? And could you please share? The settings I posted don't cover gaming, and so I'm just using the default settings in Game Mode at the moment
Pretty sure I used these. I'll need to double check though 👍🏻

X-t

Standard Member
Recently got a SM8050 which seems to be pretty similar besides stand to the SM8200.

How do you all find the local dimming? Seems to have pretty crazy bands from top to bottom if any dark backgrounds with bright objects. Like a disco when you try one of the local dimming test videos.

Not sure if I should just disable it.

Ackers75

Novice Member
Recently got a SM8050 which seems to be pretty similar besides stand to the SM8200.

How do you all find the local dimming? Seems to have pretty crazy bands from top to bottom if any dark backgrounds with bright objects. Like a disco when you try one of the local dimming test videos.

Exactly the same here with the sm8050.
I had to mess around in the expert settings to minimise the issue and I noticed it was worse watching from certain angles.
It’s strange because In low eco mode it’s not visible.
It’s probably down to being an edge lid panel

X-t

Standard Member
Exactly the same here with the sm8050.
I had to mess around in the expert settings to minimise the issue and I noticed it was worse watching from certain angles.
It’s strange because In low eco mode it’s not visible.
It’s probably down to being an edge lid panel
I guess it must be similar on the SM6500/6800 too though as they're also edge lit.

I think I prefer it with it off. On is pretty horrible when you get titles on a black screen and similar scenarios. It's certainly even worse from the side.

Do you mean general TV eco mode or low local dimming mode? I wonder if eco mode just effectively turns it off?

Ackers75

Novice Member

About our ads
I guess it must be similar on the SM6500/6800 too though as they're also edge lit.

I think I prefer it with it off. On is pretty horrible when you get titles on a black screen and similar scenarios. It's certainly even worse from the side.

Do you mean general TV eco mode or low local dimming mode? I wonder if eco mode just effectively turns it off?
It is possible to leave it on medium and play around in picture settings and make it a lot less visible.
If you put dimming on high then enable low eco mode you can’t see the issue but like you said it may well just disable it but I would of thought if you enabled eco mode the local dimming option would be greyed out.

Pretty sure I used these. I'll need to double check though 👍🏻
Thanks for the link! Although since they are for the SM8600, would they apply to the 8200? Doesn't the SM8600 have a different, and better panel?

Although, the article doesn't actually say anything regarding Gaming settings anyway, it says to just stick it on Game mode. That's what I'm doing any the moment. For non-gaming settings, I'm following the settings in my first post, from the youtube review, which was specifically for the 8200.

Do let me know if you find anything else!

Yes I have found the local dimming to be pretty distracting and visually unappealing when you have a dark scene. I kept it on low for a while, but even then it didn't look great, so I've turned it off.

Did you follow any website to calibrate your other settings?

X-t

Standard Member
I've not done any calibration as such at all really besides playing with the local dimming setting. I'd like to see some sample of where it actually makes the picture noticeably better. So far I've only seen situations where it makes it look worse so I'm inclined to leave it off.

I had wanted the LG UM7400 but it seemed to be out of stock everywhere unless I bought without extended guarantee. So I ended up paying a little more for the SM8050. I guess the UM7400 doesn't even have local dimming so I wouldn't have seen this issue but I would have lacked a wide colour gamut.

Ackers75

Novice Member
Lol I wanted the um7400 too but like yourself it was out of stock.
My brother bought a Samsung tv that has local dimming and it’s just as bad to be honest but I believe it’s needed for hdr content.
To be fair I am more than happy with the tv