LG SL9YG Soundbar Review & Comments

Great review Steve thanks.:thumbsup:

I bought one of these for £700 & really like it as you said it’s very front heavy but does produce a lovely detailed sound with a nice deep base. In my living room l don’t get much Atmos effect as my ceiling are very high but it doesn’t spoil the sound.

Google assistant works very well & adding the rear speakers does make a massive difference to the surround effect. Also with my LG E8 everything works very well via ARC all the inbuilt apps works flawlessly sending Atmos or Dolby Digital to the soundbar.

And the DTS:X optimised function on the LG Wi-Fi app works really well with DTS:X discs. It’s very plug & play & just works :thumbsup:

That's a good deal, at £700 this is a fantastic buy. How did you manage to buy if £299 under the list price?

A very well known high street retailer were running a offer recently if you bought any TV even there cheapest basic model that they stock then you could get the SL9YG for a possible £700 with a bit of leg work if you know what l mean. :D

Been watching SL9YG since it was released and the RRP does go up & down a lot with certain retailers it seems to move on a month to month basis.

Not impressed by the lack of HDMI inputs and Ethernet port. Wireless doesn’t work for everyone, so having no ability to use a cable is a mistake, and automatically excludes it from my list as a possible replacement for my existing soundbar.

Clem

This SL9 was to large for me so I went for the smaller SL8, it's a 3.1.2 and it has a centre speaker. At £499 it was a bargain and sounds better than most soundbars under £800, but that's just my opinion.
Good honest review Steve

Review for the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar coming soon? Went for a demo in Richer Sounds and sounded incredible, especially the Atmos effects. Blown away really, especially being a sound bar (I know, they are improving - but this was next level for me). Great review, Steve.

Lack of eARC, when some manufacturers retrospectively bring it to 2018 and even 2017 line-ups, is a joke. It effectively insulates it from being future proof...

I don't find the build quality that good either. The plastic feels incredibly cheap and brittle.

Review for the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar coming soon? Went for a demo in Richer Sounds and sounded incredible, especially the Atmos effects. Blown away really, especially being a sound bar (I know, they are improving - but this was next level for me). Great review,
Review for the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar coming soon? Went for a demo in Richer Sounds and sounded incredible, especially the Atmos effects. Blown away really, especially being a sound bar (I know, they are improving - but this was next level for me). Great review, Steve.

Must be nice to be looking in this price range :eek: £2199
Why not compare a basic bed side clock radio to the new Naim Mu-so 2nd Gen.

I've been looking at getting a C9 but the clearance for a soundbar is only 3.2cm, so LG's own soundbar would obstruct the screen?

I've been looking at getting a C9 but the clearance for a soundbar is only 3.2cm, so LG's own soundbar would obstruct the screen?

Maybe take a look @ the E9 l have the E8 & even with the additional optional higher feet attached to the soundbar it doesn’t block the screen.

I really like the look of the E9, but I can't really justify the premium over the C. I'm still unsure if the 9 is worth it over the 8 to be honest.

Must be nice to be looking in this price range :eek: £2199
Why not compare a basic bed side clock radio to the new Naim Mu-so 2nd Gen.

Because that wouldn’t fit on my bedside table... I asked the question out of interest because of how the AV forums earn my interest when reviewing av tech. My philosophy is save up for the one you really want... and the Naim Muso 2 is worth every penny :)

Because that wouldn’t fit on my bedside table... I asked the question out of interest because of how the AV forums earn my interest when reviewing av tech. My philosophy is save up for the one you really want... and the Naim Muso 2 is worth every penny :)

I want a Naim Muso 2 as my bedside clock radio :cool:
But yes I bet it will be one hell of a soundbar, go for it if you can mate :thumbsup:

Buy.dig has a special right now for the SL9 for $339.00 and free shipping, I own the original 8k series from Buy.dig open box last fall for $180. And the rear speaker satellites for $75 from Amazon, open box last winter so I will keep satellites in place and just add the new soundbar and subwoofer and take the original soundbar to another room. A super great price for the newer unit.

This is an amazing soundbar for the price, and with the surround speakers placed correctly will sound great. The Atmos speakers lift the sound, and does it well, you do get a very good hight effect but not like a true Atmos speaker.
in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––​
unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg
Don't make the mistake I did by increasing the atmos level in the settings, because it does effect everything else's, especially voice.
Last night I watched IT part 2, wow the bass is amazing and deep, only wish I had the souround speakers.

A very well known high street retailer were running a offer recently if you bought any TV even there cheapest basic model that they stock then you could get the SL9YG for a possible £700 with a bit of leg work if you know what l mean. :D

Been watching SL9YG since it was released and the RRP does go up & down a lot with certain retailers it seems to move on a month to month basis.
Currently on sale in that we'll known High Street store beginning with C for £599. Bundled with the wireless rear speaker kit for a total of £748.

Last edited:
Hello Steve and active forum members, I am looking to buy good soundbar for my LG OLED C7 tv. I am very much confused between LG SL9YG with sub and rear speakers, Bose soundtouch 300 soundbar only and sony HTZ9F (bar and sub). All three are within my budget. Getting very good price on full LG setup. I will appreciate your advice on which should be my buy.
Thank you.

Last edited:
That's a good deal, at £700 this is a fantastic buy. How did you manage to buy if £299 under the list price?

Hey Steve ... i'm wondering could help me out , i'm looking for a sound bar to pair with my pan. gz950 , this is one of the sound bars i've been looking at .. and its 680 euos at the minute ... where as the samsung q70 at 950 .. also looking at the panasonic sc-htb900 at 700 ... any advice would be greatly appreciated ....

Hey Steve ... i'm wondering could help me out , i'm looking for a sound bar to pair with my pan. gz950 , this is one of the sound bars i've been looking at .. and its 680 euos at the minute ... where as the samsung q70 at 950 .. also looking at the panasonic sc-htb900 at 700 ... any advice would be greatly appreciated ....
I don't know which 4K player you have, but since you've got the GZ950 I'd recommend the HW-Q70R because that's the only one that passes Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

I don't know which 4K player you have, but since you've got the GZ950 I'd recommend the HW-Q70R because that's the only one that passes Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

I was looking at the HW-Q80R but i read some bad reviews on owners thread... have you heard any similar reports about the HW-Q70R .... I don't have a 4k player yet , i'm just starting to build a system, i just picked up the tv a few weeks back ... it wasn't easy lol i did a crazy amount of research but the picture on the gz950 is excellent ... i'd like to complement it with a good sound bar (& 4k player later in 2020 ) ... thanks Steve , appreciated the reply ...

I have just bought this soundbar with the lgc9 65" and have it plugged into hdmi 2 which is arc, I'm getting a slight lip sync issue on sky Q, anybody know how to resolve this, tried the lip sync settings on sky and made no difference and don't know if the tv settings have made a difference, any help would be much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom