LG SL9YG Soundbar Review & Comments

Goonerdude

Great review Steve thanks.:thumbsup:

I bought one of these for £700 & really like it as you said it’s very front heavy but does produce a lovely detailed sound with a nice deep base. In my living room l don’t get much Atmos effect as my ceiling are very high but it doesn’t spoil the sound.

Google assistant works very well & adding the rear speakers does make a massive difference to the surround effect. Also with my LG E8 everything works very well via ARC all the inbuilt apps works flawlessly sending Atmos or Dolby Digital to the soundbar.

And the DTS:X optimised function on the LG Wi-Fi app works really well with DTS:X discs. It’s very plug & play & just works :thumbsup:

Steve Withers

Reviewer
That's a good deal, at £700 this is a fantastic buy. How did you manage to buy if £299 under the list price?

Goonerdude

A very well known high street retailer were running a offer recently if you bought any TV even there cheapest basic model that they stock then you could get the SL9YG for a possible £700 with a bit of leg work if you know what l mean. :D

Been watching SL9YG since it was released and the RRP does go up & down a lot with certain retailers it seems to move on a month to month basis.

Clem_Dye

Not impressed by the lack of HDMI inputs and Ethernet port. Wireless doesn’t work for everyone, so having no ability to use a cable is a mistake, and automatically excludes it from my list as a possible replacement for my existing soundbar.

Clem

stevebk

This SL9 was to large for me so I went for the smaller SL8, it's a 3.1.2 and it has a centre speaker. At £499 it was a bargain and sounds better than most soundbars under £800, but that's just my opinion.
Good honest review Steve

Clark1983

Standard Member
Review for the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar coming soon? Went for a demo in Richer Sounds and sounded incredible, especially the Atmos effects. Blown away really, especially being a sound bar (I know, they are improving - but this was next level for me). Great review, Steve.

grogi

Lack of eARC, when some manufacturers retrospectively bring it to 2018 and even 2017 line-ups, is a joke. It effectively insulates it from being future proof...

I don't find the build quality that good either. The plastic feels incredibly cheap and brittle.

stevebk

Review for the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar coming soon? Went for a demo in Richer Sounds and sounded incredible, especially the Atmos effects. Blown away really, especially being a sound bar (I know, they are improving - but this was next level for me). Great review,
Review for the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar coming soon? Went for a demo in Richer Sounds and sounded incredible, especially the Atmos effects. Blown away really, especially being a sound bar (I know, they are improving - but this was next level for me). Great review, Steve.
Must be nice to be looking in this price range :eek: £2199
Why not compare a basic bed side clock radio to the new Naim Mu-so 2nd Gen.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I've been looking at getting a C9 but the clearance for a soundbar is only 3.2cm, so LG's own soundbar would obstruct the screen?

Goonerdude

I've been looking at getting a C9 but the clearance for a soundbar is only 3.2cm, so LG's own soundbar would obstruct the screen?
Maybe take a look @ the E9 l have the E8 & even with the additional optional higher feet attached to the soundbar it doesn’t block the screen.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I really like the look of the E9, but I can't really justify the premium over the C. I'm still unsure if the 9 is worth it over the 8 to be honest.

Clark1983

Standard Member
Must be nice to be looking in this price range :eek: £2199
Why not compare a basic bed side clock radio to the new Naim Mu-so 2nd Gen.
Because that wouldn’t fit on my bedside table... I asked the question out of interest because of how the AV forums earn my interest when reviewing av tech. My philosophy is save up for the one you really want... and the Naim Muso 2 is worth every penny :)

stevebk

Because that wouldn’t fit on my bedside table... I asked the question out of interest because of how the AV forums earn my interest when reviewing av tech. My philosophy is save up for the one you really want... and the Naim Muso 2 is worth every penny :)
I want a Naim Muso 2 as my bedside clock radio :cool:
But yes I bet it will be one hell of a soundbar, go for it if you can mate :thumbsup:

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme