LG SL8YG Soundbar

Also, those who use this device without the rear kit use the surround setting off? I don't have rear speakers, the surround setting sounds better off.

So you have it set to Standard + surround Off for all types of content?
For movies and games with designed sound stages, you're absolutely right. I will try the modes again to identify the cleanest mode.

For stereo music however, I would still use bass blast mode because I personally prefer the sound clarity when the music is playing from all the 5.1.2 speakers instead of just the left and right drivers in the sound bar (personal preference), also it allows clear music at lower volume levels when all the speakers are playing, so it won't disturb others in the house or neighbors.
Only movie mode or bass blast mode provides this with surround off.
Yes that is correct for my settings, I haven’t tried the bass blast for music so may give that a try.

Like all things it depends on your room acoustics and what you want to hear, I tried the movie mode and there are some advantages over standard, certainly gives a more immersive sound, so that may outweigh the more purist view.

I've just purchased a 65C9 and have the option to purchase this soundbar at a discount, have the issues with delay from Atmos with an Xbox One X been fixed when using ARC? I understand this is an issue with the TV re-encoding the stream then passing back down the HDMI cable.

I read some posts that a fix is coming in Q2, but I don't want to drop £400 on a device that is going to have lag when using Atmos.

Can anyone advise please?

Thx,

Paul.

I've just purchased a 65C9 and have the option to purchase this soundbar at a discount, have the issues with delay from Atmos with an Xbox One X been fixed when using ARC? I understand this is an issue with the TV re-encoding the stream then passing back down the HDMI cable.

I read some posts that a fix is coming in Q2, but I don't want to drop £400 on a device that is going to have lag when using Atmos.

Can anyone advise please?

Thx,

Paul.
I don’t have a xbox one but sky q and I can confirm that you still get lip sync issues if using arc, I think this is more to do with arc itself than either the Soundbar or tv. Either you need to look at this years model with eARC or like me get a hdmi switch and then everything goes into the Soundbar first, like an av receiver. But then you don’t benefit from the gaming enhancements from the c9

I don’t have a xbox one but sky q and I can confirm that you still get lip sync issues if using arc, I think this is more to do with arc itself than either the Soundbar or tv. Either you need to look at this years model with eARC or like me get a hdmi switch and then everything goes into the Soundbar first, like an av receiver. But then you don’t benefit from the gaming enhancements from the c9
Thanks for this, so what is causing the problem then, is it the fact that the soundbar is only HDMI 2.0, so only has ARC rather than the 2.1 eARC?
The threads I've read on this seem to think it's the time it takes the TV to receive the input, re-encode then send back down the HDMI cable, it's a shame.

Thanks for this, so what is causing the problem then, is it the fact that the soundbar is only HDMI 2.0, so only has ARC rather than the 2.1 eARC?
The threads I've read on this seem to think it's the time it takes the TV to receive the input, re-encode then send back down the HDMI cable, it's a shame.
Yes that is correct, there is latency in all video and audio signals and arc is not able to resolve this when dealing with Dolby audio, stereo is fine and apparently DTS does not suffer from this.
i would say wait till the 2020 Soundbar are out with eARC or get a av receiver and speakers, but then you would need the receiver to have eARC

Yes that is correct, there is latency in all video and audio signals and arc is not able to resolve this when dealing with Dolby audio, stereo is fine and apparently DTS does not suffer from this.
i would say wait till the 2020 Soundbar are out with eARC or get a av receiver and speakers, but then you would need the receiver to have eARC
Thank you, gaming was the reason for choosing this particular panel ahead of this years console refresh, so it's important to me to keep those enhancements. With that in mind I will await the refresh and some price drops later this year.
I appreciate your guidance.

Paul.

What level do people have the subwoofer on, find it a bit none existant sometimes and if I up too much too boomy lol. Listening to music I would of thought it would have more of a presence, but seems to bit subdued..

Thank you, gaming was the reason for choosing this particular panel ahead of this years console refresh, so it's important to me to keep those enhancements. With that in mind I will await the refresh and some price drops later this year.
I appreciate your guidance.

Paul.
No problem, I think that is a wise decision, i‘m sure this years models will offer what you want

Can anyone use the auto volume level option with this soundbar on the LG Wi-fi app? Just says to me not supported on the sound bar when I press it

Can anyone use the auto volume level option with this soundbar on the LG Wi-fi app? Just says to me not supported on the sound bar when I press it
Doesn't work in Movie mode. Switch to any other mode e.g. Standard mode and then try again.

What level do people have the subwoofer on, find it a bit none existant sometimes and if I up too much too boomy lol. Listening to music I would of thought it would have more of a presence, but seems to bit subdued..
I have the subwoofer on 0. You may want to try moving the subwoofer box around. I had it next to the TV at first, but found it too boomy. Then moved it across the room next to the sofa and its much more acceptable to my ears now.

Has anyone had both an SL8YG and a SL9YG. I’m having to send my SL8YG back as the infra red isn’t working on the sound bar so the remote won’t work. Ive been offered a SL9YG for £50 more?
Is it worth the upgrade. Thanks all

Has anyone had both an SL8YG and a SL9YG. I’m having to send my SL8YG back as the infra red isn’t working on the sound bar so the remote won’t work. Ive been offered a SL9YG for £50 more?
Is it worth the upgrade. Thanks all
I haven't tried out the SL9YG but I wouldn't take the offer unless you're only using it for music. SL9YG has no center speaker. The center channel is pretty important for movies and anything with dialog.

The LG SL9YG is a powerful sounding soundbar I’m very happy with mine & certainly don’t miss having a centre channel.

Vocals & movie soundtracks sound dynamic & fast with no loss dialogue. I would say go for it for an extra £50 it’s a no brainer.

The LG SL9YG is a powerful sounding soundbar I’m very happy with mine & certainly don’t miss having a centre channel.

Vocals & movie soundtracks sound dynamic & fast with no loss dialogue. I would say go for it for an extra £50 it’s a no brainer.

Yeah ive been doing a bit of research and a lot of the reviews say that don't notice the centre channel is missing. Thanks for the advice.

Is anyone using this sound bar with a Sony 65XF9005 TV?

Considering buying this and the rear speakers to go with the TV

Hi,
got the SL9YG with the rear speakers. I can tell its def got more oomph than the sl8yg. What settings do you have yours set on, Do you use Neural X and have your Rear speakers set to Surround? Also do you know how to dim the display on the centre screen? Thank you

LG的所有条形音箱和SPK8-S后置扬声器低音管理缺陷
条形音箱无法实现SPK8-S后声道的低音管理。测试起来很简单,运行杜比全景声(Dolby Atmos)测试音(7.1.2),并且对于每个条形音箱,低音炮都会产生一些低音(低音管理),而后声道(SPK8-S声道)的低音则是静音的,没有低音管理。我使用7.1杜比环绕声测试音重复测试,结果是相同的。这是LG条形音箱的主要缺陷,因为SPK8-S后声道根本没有低音。请LG解决此问题。对不起,我的英语不好(不是我的主要语言)

Anyone with the spk8 speaker report if even when the Original Sound is set in options, if they still get sound coming out of the speakers when watching normal tv such as abc news, dolby digital 2.0 stuff?

I think its because I'm in movie mode and that still uses all the speakers even when surround is off, switch to standard or asc then the speakers are not active.

I think its because I'm in movie mode and that still uses all the speakers even when surround is off, switch to standard or asc then the speakers are not active.
If you look at the manual it will show you when and what speakers are active depending on your options. Personally I have left it on standard with surround off. Also i was getting cut outs on the rear speakers, think it was to do with them being by the subwoofer, changed the speaker wire to a shielded wire I had and no more cutouts and I think a better sound.

If you look at the manual it will show you when and what speakers are active depending on your options. Personally I have left it on standard with surround off. Also i was getting cut outs on the rear speakers, think it was to do with them being by the subwoofer, changed the speaker wire to a shielded wire I had and no more cutouts and I think a better sound.
Could you point me into the direction of the speaker cable you purchased by any chance, may have look into doing this? Thank you

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom