LG SL8YG Soundbar

Hi all, I am getting one of these tomorrow decided to bin off the separates as didn’t get a great deal of benefit from them where I was allowed to place them. So am intending to put the sky q and Apple TV into the tv and use arc with the oppo straight into the sound bar for the lossless support as I believe neither sky or apple is lossless. My question for anybody here is has anyone done something similar and do you get lip sync issues with the arc method, my tv is a 55c8 oled.

many thanks
steve
I believe you will get lip sync issues if you connect sky and Apple TV into the tv then to the soundbar if you have them set to Dolby digital sound.
If you leave sky and Apple TV to normal sound there is no sound issues but Dolby sound output does have issues. If you connect sky direct to the soundbar and the soundbar to the tv there should be no sound lag.
I am waiting for the new soundbar with eARC that should help the sound lag issues.

Are there any settings you are satisfied with? I am currently using movie mode without any adjustments.

Last edited:
Has there been any software updates released for this recently that fixes the listening MIC in other modes or still an issue?

Has there been any software updates released for this recently that fixes the listening MIC in other modes or still an issue?

Hello,

Sorry, Lg has not released an update for this product recently. In my opinion, Lg will leave this device without fixing connection issues and releasing a new update.

It's a pity really.

After a lot of research, I ended up buying the SL8YG and the wireless rear speakers, and I'm glad I did.

Considerations:
- 5.1: Left, Center, Right, Side Left, Side Right, Subwoofer
- 7.1: Left, Center, Right, Side Left, Side Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, Subwoofer
- Rear speakers was a must for me, so I considered both SL10YG and Samsung Q90R, but both had the issue that the Side L and R surround speakers are present in the soundbar itself. Why would one want the side surround channels to come from the front?! For 5.1 content in those bars, I expect that the side surround channels would correctly play from the wireless rear speakers (Verified in the manual of the SL10YG (nicely illustrated) I couldn’t verify this in the Q90R's manual though). However for 7.1 content and Atmos tracks, the side surround (i.e. side left and side right) channels would play from the front, and only the rear channels (which usually don’t have a lot of sound anyway) would play from the wireless rear speakers. I didn’t want that. One solution would be to route the side surround channels back to the rear speakers, but then those two drivers in the side of the bar would never be used, so it would effectively function as a 3.1.2 bar like to the SL8YG.
- Given that my couch is up against the wall, the rear speakers would be in side left and side right position, so the SL8YG 3.1.2 + wireless rear speakers = 5.1.2 was the right configuration for me. If I had space in the back for properly placed rear speakers, I would probably have chosen something like Nakamichi's ShockWafe 9.2.4 which would have real speakers for both side and rear channels.
- I noticed people complaining about missing eARC, audio lag on ARC, and the fact that the soundbar had only one HDMI input port. I solved the problem by buying a 5 port HDMI switcher, which was cheap at under $30. It can handle TrueHD Atmos and LPCM 7.1 +4K video and HDR so everything just works.
- I have on the switcher:
- HDMI1 IN : Fire stick 4K : Prime video+Atmos (a.k.a. Jack Ryan) works, Netflix on FireTV stick does not output Atmos, only 5.1, seems to be a known issue
- HDMI2 IN : Xbox one - Netflix+Atmos works after installing and setting up Dolby Access app, Bluray+Atmos, games audio in 5.1 work, havent tried Atmos games yet, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.
- HDMI3 IN: PC - Playing mkv files with Atmos or 7.1 TrueHD audio tracks works. The soundbar nicely plays the rear speaker sounds through the side speakers as well, so any rear-channel specific sounds are not lost! Netflix Windows app+Atmos after installing and setting up Dolby access app from the Windows app store. Here, couple of things to do 1) first connect the soundbar directly to your PC's HDMI port and set it up with the Dolby Access app and VLC to work properly. Then disconnect and connect the HDMI switcher. The PC still detects the soundbar through the switcher (may need a restart) 2) Ensure the sound setup in Windows is set up as "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" or 5.1 (not 7.1, otherwise stereo content doesn’t play)
- HDMI4: Nintendo Switch through dock (game surround sound works as the HDMI Switcher handles LPCM!)
- HDMI5: Cable TV box
- HDMI out of switcher to HDMI IN of soundbar
- HDMI out of soundbar to HDMI ARC IN of TV
- All cables carrying Atmos audio should be labeled "premium" - important.
- Headphone jack of TV connected to Bluetooth output device. For night listening, I just mute the soundbar and turn on the bluetooth headphones.
- Nothing is connected to the other HDMI input ports on the TV. Everything is routed through the soundbar. Don’t need to use the TV remote at all.

Pros:
- This soundbar sounds good with movies and excellent with games and music. I use Movie mode for 5.1 movies/TV/games and Bass Boost mode for stereo music (there is no mode selection available for Atmos content). The dialog is certainly good enough, but isnt as crystal clear as I was hoping for, this is probably due to the underpowered center driver.
- Rear speakers are a must! Excellent sound, especially at this price point.
- Wireless connections between subwoofer and rear speakers and main soundbar just worked out of the box.

Cons:
- Center driver is 40W while left and right channel drivers are 50W. I believe having a weak center channel was a design mistake. Also the soundbar is relatively small and the left, center and right speakers are physically quite close together, so its not a very spacious sound stage.
- Overhead Atmos effect is not obvious. I had it below the TV sitting on the TV stand at first. Sitting on the couch, I had a line of sight view of the two speaker holes for the upfiring speakers. How could my brain think the sounds were coming from overhead when I could even see them, of course the sound waves coming directly from the soundbar would hit my ears first. So then I got a stand and placed the soundbar just above my TV. The atmos effect is enhanced now, but still very diffuse, even with a flat ceiling at normal height in my apartment. Better than not having Atmos, but don’t expect much from it.
- Pity that the rear speakers don’t have upfiring speakers to make this a x.4 system, like the Samsung Q90R. LG's 2020 model SN11RG does have wireless rear speakers with upfiring speakers but on the sub-optimal 7.1.4 config, which would have the same issue as the SL10YG, side surround sounds coming from the front for 7.1/Atmos tracks. Don't know if they will have a 5.1.4 config in the future. JBL's upcoming "9.1" might be the solution for living rooms with the couch up against the wall, although the fact that the rear speakers could be detached and re-attached at will has no value for me, I would just leave them there on the rear speaker stands, but maybe its what some people need.

Last edited:
Just got my soundbar yesterday and very pleased with it but is it necessary to have the feet attached underneath the bar as it lifts it an extra 10-12mm in front of the screen.
I am probably going to have to pack the C9 up a little bit anyway but the less the better.

Just got my soundbar yesterday and very pleased with it but is it necessary to have the feet attached underneath the bar as it lifts it an extra 10-12mm in front of the screen.
I am probably going to have to pack the C9 up a little bit anyway but the less the better.

The feet are available if you need to raise the soundbar nothing more it will work fine if you don’t use them.

The feet are available if you need to raise the soundbar nothing more it will work fine if you don’t use them.
Thanks thought they might be needed to stop any vibration from the speakers against solid surface of tv stand especially since mine is glass.

After a lot of research, I ended up buying the SL8YG and the wireless rear speakers, and I'm glad I did.

Considerations:
- 5.1: Left, Center, Right, Side Left, Side Right, Subwoofer
- 7.1: Left, Center, Right, Side Left, Side Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, Subwoofer
- Rear speakers was a must for me, so I considered both SL10YG and Samsung Q90R, but both had the issue that the Side L and R surround speakers are present in the soundbar itself. Why would one want the side surround channels to come from the front?! For 5.1 content in those bars, I expect that the side surround channels would correctly play from the wireless rear speakers (Verified in the manual of the SL10YG (nicely illustrated) I couldn’t verify this in the Q90R's manual though). However for 7.1 content and Atmos tracks, the side surround (i.e. side left and side right) channels would play from the front, and only the rear channels (which usually don’t have a lot of sound anyway) would play from the wireless rear speakers. I didn’t want that. One solution would be to route the side surround channels back to the rear speakers, but then those two drivers in the side of the bar would never be used, so it would effectively function as a 3.1.2 bar like to the SL8YG.
- Given that my couch is up against the wall, the rear speakers would be in side left and side right position, so the SL8YG 3.1.2 + wireless rear speakers = 5.1.2 was the right configuration for me. If I had space in the back for properly placed rear speakers, I would probably have chosen something like Nakamichi's ShockWafe 9.2.4 which would have real speakers for both side and rear channels.
- I noticed people complaining about missing eARC, audio lag on ARC, and the fact that the soundbar had only one HDMI input port. I solved the problem by buying a 5 port HDMI switcher, which was cheap at under $30. It can handle TrueHD Atmos and LPCM 7.1 +4K video and HDR so everything just works.
- I have on the switcher:
- HDMI1 IN : Fire stick 4K : Prime video+Atmos (a.k.a. Jack Ryan) works, Netflix on FireTV stick does not output Atmos, only 5.1, seems to be a known issue
- HDMI2 IN : Xbox one - Netflix+Atmos works after installing and setting up Dolby Access app, Bluray+Atmos, games audio in 5.1 work, havent tried Atmos games yet, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.
- HDMI3 IN: PC - Playing mkv files with Atmos or 7.1 TrueHD audio tracks works. The soundbar nicely plays the rear speaker sounds through the side speakers as well, so any rear-channel specific sounds are not lost! Netflix Windows app+Atmos after installing and setting up Dolby access app from the Windows app store. Here, couple of things to do 1) first connect the soundbar directly to your PC's HDMI port and set it up with the Dolby Access app and VLC to work properly. Then disconnect and connect the HDMI switcher. The PC still detects the soundbar through the switcher (may need a restart) 2) Ensure the sound setup in Windows is set up as "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" or 5.1 (not 7.1, otherwise stereo content doesn’t play)
- HDMI4: Nintendo Switch through dock (game surround sound works as the HDMI Switcher handles LPCM!)
- HDMI5: Cable TV box
- HDMI out of switcher to HDMI IN of soundbar
- HDMI out of soundbar to HDMI ARC IN of TV
- All cables carrying Atmos audio should be labeled "premium" - important.
- Headphone jack of TV connected to Bluetooth output device. For night listening, I just mute the soundbar and turn on the bluetooth headphones.
- Nothing is connected to the other HDMI input ports on the TV. Everything is routed through the soundbar. Don’t need to use the TV remote at all.

Pros:
- This soundbar sounds good with movies and excellent with games and music. I use Movie mode for 5.1 movies/TV/games and Bass Boost mode for stereo music (there is no mode selection available for Atmos content). The dialog is certainly good enough, but isnt as crystal clear as I was hoping for, this is probably due to the underpowered center driver.
- Rear speakers are a must! Excellent sound, especially at this price point.
- Wireless connections between subwoofer and rear speakers and main soundbar just worked out of the box.

Cons:
- Center driver is 40W while left and right channel drivers are 50W. Cannot independently adjust the center driver volume. There is a center volume adjustment, but it seems to raise the volume of all the drivers in the soundbar. I believe having a weak center channel was a design mistake. Also the soundbar is relatively small and the left, center and right speakers are physically quite close together, so its not a very spacious sound stage.
- Overhead Atmos effect is not obvious. I had it below the TV sitting on the TV stand at first. Sitting on the couch, I had a line of sight view of the two speaker holes for the upfiring speakers. How could my brain think the sounds were coming from overhead when I could even see them, of course the sound waves coming directly from the soundbar would hit my ears first. So then I got a stand and placed the soundbar just above my TV. The atmos effect is enhanced now, but still very diffuse, even with a flat ceiling at normal height in my apartment. Better than not having Atmos, but don’t expect much from it.
- Pity that the rear speakers don’t have upfiring speakers to make this a x.4 system, like the Samsung Q90R. LG's 2020 model SN11RG does have wireless rear speakers with upfiring speakers but on the sub-optimal 7.1.4 config, which would have the same issue as the SL10YG, side surround sounds coming from the front for 7.1/Atmos tracks. Don't know if they will have a 5.1.4 config in the future. JBL's upcoming "9.1" might be the solution for living rooms with the couch up against the wall, although the fact that the rear speakers could be detached and re-attached at will has no value for me, I would just leave them there on the rear speaker stands, but maybe its what some people need.

Hi recently bought the sounder and can you share your best settings. currently I don't have the wireless rear speakers searching for them since a month and its out of stock everywhere.

Hi recently bought the sounder and can you share your best settings. currently I don't have the wireless rear speakers searching for them since a month and its out of stock everywhere.
WF 0
C 3
OVC 5
R 5
TRE 2
BAS 0

ok. got this today. all setup. Great so far, although I hadn't researched that my old LG OLED C6 does not pass Atmos, so I am going to have to get a 4k switcher, to connect my sky q box and Apple TV 4K.
The little feet that come with the sub, have people attached these, should they be used if you have a hard floor?
I haven't got the rear speakers yet but can I still use the surround mode in the settings or is it pointless using it until I get the rears?
thanks all

The little feet that come with the sub, have people attached these, should they be used if you have a hard floor?
I haven't got the rear speakers yet but can I still use the surround mode in the settings or is it pointless using it until I get the rears?
thanks all

I haven't attached the feet to either the subwoofer or the sound bar, both are on solid hard surfaces. Have no issues with sound clarity.

The surround mode is mainly for the wireless rear speakers. The manual says: "If you turn on the surround function, the whole speaker outputs sound." I would expect the center speaker to kick in as well with stereo content, but you'll have to test that to be sure.

Oh ok so if you want it to have the mic on all the time to speak to google it will work on any input? Was looking at some John Lewis reviews and they said it only worked on Wi-fi setting, strange

This will work on both Wifi mode and Bluetooth mode. In all the other modes you'll need to hit the dedicated Google assistant button.

I haven't attached the feet to either the subwoofer or the sound bar, both are on solid hard surfaces. Have no issues with sound clarity.

The surround mode is mainly for the wireless rear speakers. The manual says: "If you turn on the surround function, the whole speaker outputs sound." I would expect the center speaker to kick in as well with stereo content, but you'll have to test that to be sure.
I don’t have the surround mode on, I feel this is artificial using all speakers when the incoming signal does not justify it. I have kept it on original sound so if you get a 5.1 signal then it uses that, Atmos and Dtx use the upfiring, stereo just uses the front right and left channels, that is how it is intended.

Is there any reason its so hard to get hold of the rear speakers, no where has them in stock anywhere.

hi, i'm using lg sl8y. I have no rear speakers. I guess you are using these settings with the rear speaker kit, right? also what do you use as a sound effect?
Also how does this surround control turn on and off?
@whoopish

Last edited:
I don’t have the surround mode on, I feel this is artificial using all speakers when the incoming signal does not justify it. I have kept it on original sound so if you get a 5.1 signal then it uses that, Atmos and Dtx use the upfiring, stereo just uses the front right and left channels, that is how it is intended.

So you have it set to Standard + surround Off for all types of content?
For movies and games with designed sound stages, you're absolutely right. I will try the modes again to identify the cleanest mode.

For stereo music however, I would still use bass blast mode because I personally prefer the sound clarity when the music is playing from all the 5.1.2 speakers instead of just the left and right drivers in the sound bar (personal preference), also it allows clear music at lower volume levels when all the speakers are playing, so it won't disturb others in the house or neighbors.
Only movie mode or bass blast mode provides this with surround off.

The attached images show what the manual says about the different combinations of surround on/off and sound modes
Screenshot1.jpg
Screenshot2.jpg

I guess you are using these settings with the rear speaker kit, right?
@whoopish
Yes.

also what do you use as a sound effect?
@whoopish
Movie for all 5.1/7.1 content
Bass blast for stereo music

Also how does this surround control turn on and off?
@whoopish
To turn on or off the surround sound, press and hold the button with an equalizer on it (just above the night mode button) for about 3 seconds and press it again.

Yes.

Movie for all 5.1/7.1 content
Bass blast for stereo music

To turn on or off the surround sound, press and hold the button with an equalizer on it (just above the night mode button) for about 3 seconds and press it again.

Thank you, my friend

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom