LG SL8YG Soundbar

scaper

I haven't seen a thread dedicated to this soundbar….so here it is.

I purchased one new from Currys PC World for £399 (you had to buy a TV to get this deal - I purchased a cheap 24 inch tv for £110). I have also purchased the rear wireless speakers.

Speech clarity is great, the sub rumbles well when needed and integrates well with the soundbar. Well pleased!

The only reviews I have found so far are:

Sound Test: LG SL8YG Home Theatre System

https://hdguru.com/lg-sl8yg-sound-bar-offers-wide-atmos-sound-stage/

Last edited:

stevebk

I have this and it's Fantastic, also from Curry's

Goonerdude

Good news about this LG soundbar l have the SL9YG on its way also from Curry’s.

Any tips for setting it up or recommend settings. I will add the rears @ some point.

scaper

How did you get it for £399 (via purchasing a TV)?

Thanks
they dropped the price for a while to 499 with a deal of £100 off if you purchase any tv..it appears to have gone back up since

the soundbar is great..especially in movie mode and rear speakers linked to it

Last edited:

stevebk

This years SL range of soundbars from LG are very impressive throwing the sound around the room, and I only have the SL8 which is the lower of the three high-end soundbars. I am limited for room and the SL8 fits spot on for a 55"tv, but at £499 on offer at Currys it was a no brainer, especially as it was £300 cheaper than everywhere eles at the time.

I did have issues to begin with, and I still have a couple of niggling issues.
My first error was in thinking my HDMI leads were ok as they were high speed with ethernet, or so I thought. Once I decided to upgrade to Premium Certified 18Gbps HDMI the atmos speakers worked just fine. Just make sure the HDMI lead is (Premium) certified, but that's only if you need to upgrade.

I don't have the rears yet as I'm on a budget, but I would like to add them later.
Once everything was set up I did adjust the setting.
Main Sub +1, this is positioned behind the sofa not beside the tv. I found the sub didn't seem correctly positioned at first, so you will have to play around here.
Front Bass +1, this is the soundbar bass.
OHS +3, = Atoms speakers on the soundbar.
Treble +1. These settings work for me, but every room is different.
Use the YouTube 4K Atoms demos, they are fantastic

When you listen to music use the music mode but on (standard), as this is the setting Meridian have as a default setting. You can override it but again that's personal choice.

Where I have said I still have a couple of niggling issues this is where at times the soundbar does not go on/off when I press the button on the remote. Even when I go into the main menu in my tv setting and switch between tv/home cinema for sound, still nothing, why this is I have no idea. I have found you do need to hold down the button on the soundbar remote for 4 seconds when turning it off, it does help but I still do have issues. Also no ARC, only HDMI with movies.
BUT,,,my Panasonic 820 4K Player has again packed up and stopped recognising discs, this will now be my third 4K player since November 2018 so the problem could be related to this as the whole system is connected. At first I had no issues, but then I started to loose sound, and then sound & picture, now the only thing that does work is the apps on the machine. Until I get this player replaced and set up again I am unable to figure out the issues with the sound are.

I will try and help out where I can but as my leg is in plaster I am going no where at the moment, so I am unsure when I will be able to get the 820 4k player swapped over.
Try not to let the above make you have second thoughts, like I say I think it's my faulty 4k player. The sound that comes out of this soundbar is awesome, it truly makes you think speakers are placed around the room. I have had a few soundbars on loan in my home, and I can only say this SL range of soundbar has ticked the boxes for me when watching movies & listening to music.

Smallclone

Also no ARC.
That's a bit of a dealbreaker for me ^. How would I connect my Virgin Media, 4X Streamer and mini PC up to my 4k Panasonic TV using this soundbar?

EDIT: It says on Currys site that it DOES have ARC in the HDMI output.

sagaris99

That's a bit of a dealbreaker for me ^. How would I connect my Virgin Media, 4X Streamer and mini PC up to my 4k Panasonic TV using this soundbar?

EDIT: It says on Currys site that it DOES have ARC in the HDMI output.
There’s no way this soundbar doesn’t have arc. That’s the only way it will work.

Think @stevebk might have missed it?

There are two HDMI ports, one of which is ARC.

https://hdguru.com/lg-sl8yg-sound-bar-offers-wide-atmos-sound-stage/

Second image.

stevebk

Sorry i did make a mistake regarding "Also no ARC, only HDMI with movies"
It does have it..
The display on the soundbar say's ARC then changes to Movies, this means it is ARC in movie mode. I thought it was jumping out of ARC :suicide:, Brain freeze...

stevebk

My SL8 had a software update today, no idea what difference it made ?

Goonerdude

Me too my SL9YG just had a software update. Anyone have any information about this update?

Purchased the rears today hopefully it will help with the surround sound immersion as l wasn’t getting any in my living room.

Just have to get some speakers stands now.

Do you have to reset the soundbar after the update?

stevebk

Me too my SL9YG just had a software update. Anyone have any information about this update?

Purchased the rears today hopefully it will help with the surround sound immersion as l wasn’t getting any in my living room.

Just have to get some speakers stands now.

Do you have to reset the soundbar after the update?
There was no prompt saying to reset, but I did turn it off after the film finished. I will give it another go tomorrow.
When they are up an running, let us know how you get on with the rears.

stevebk

I have sent an email to LG asking them what the firmware update was.
Fingers crossed I get a reply back in 24hrs, as soon as I do I will copy it to the forum.

Goonerdude

I have sent an email to LG asking them what the firmware update was.
Fingers crossed I get a reply back in 24hrs, as soon as I do I will copy it to the forum.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

I’m getting loads of audio dropouts now using the inbuilt TV Netflix app when l switch to Netflix on ATV 4K all seems fine all via the ARC.

Think l might just reset the soundbar & see if that helps.

stevebk

Apparently there was no update, as below.

Thank you for your query regarding the update to this Soundbar, I would be keen to advise. There are no official updates at the moment, which means the update will likely be a test from the factory for a minor patch, which can often happen with devices if they are connected to the internet. This won't effect the unit at all, as is just a pre-emptive update for the future.

Goonerdude

Apparently there was no update, as below.

Thank you for your query regarding the update to this Soundbar, I would be keen to advise. There are no official updates at the moment, which means the update will likely be a test from the factory for a minor patch, which can often happen with devices if they are connected to the internet. This won't effect the unit at all, as is just a pre-emptive update for the future.
Thanks for posting the update. :thumbsup:

I carried out another reset seems to have fixed the sound dropouts on Netflix that l was experiencing after the phantom firmware update!

Hopefully have the rears up & running @ the weekend.

scaper

What would be the optimum setup

Virgin v6 box
LG c8 tv
LG sl8yg soundbar

Scenario 1...v6 output
Scenario 2 ...netflix app on c8

Query related to hdmi connections and audio settings

stevebk

What would be the optimum setup

Virgin v6 box
LG c8 tv
LG sl8yg soundbar

Scenario 1...v6 output
Scenario 2 ...netflix app on c8

Query related to hdmi connections and audio settings
Not sure if I fully understand your question here, but here is how mine is set up with HDMI, on the tv. On my tv I only have two full fat HDMI 1 & 2

HDMI 1 = the 4K UHD Player,
HDMI 2 is ARC, so the soundbar is conected here.
HDMI 3 is Sky HD box,
HDMI 4 is still not used.
Netflix is a 4k app built in the tv, you will have the same, so there is no HDMI conection here as it's not a device.

scaper

so is it better to connect (hdmi) the V6 box direct to the tv and hdmi between tv and soundbar

or

connect V6 to soundbar then connect the tv to the soundbar??

TIA

stevebk

so is it better to connect (hdmi) the V6 box direct to the tv and hdmi between tv and soundbar

or

connect V6 to soundbar then connect the tv to the soundbar??

TIA
I don't have a virgin set up but I have just looked online and understand your dilemma, as the V6 only has one HDMI.
If it was me then the V6 is to HDMI 1 socket, and the soundbar to the arc HDMI socket 2.
If that doesn't work then V6 to HDMI (in) socket on the soundbar, and then on the soundbar use the HDMI (out) socket to HDMI 2 ARC socket on the tv.
Fingers crossed one of them works.

scaper

It appears I can only get it to work if I connect the V6 to the soundbar (HDMI In) and then the soundbar (HDMI TV OUT ARC) to HDMI socket 2 (HDMI In ARC).

The soundbar then shows ARC on the display but there is no connection..i have to change the source on the soundbar to HDMI for the connection to be made. This cant be the right way can it?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299