LG SK10Y Soundbar Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,259
    2. avjon

avjon
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Great review again Steve.
      How is it that LG can release a soundbar in 2018 with no DTS:X support and, given the massive improvement in sound quality, no rear speakers as standard?
      I want to buy a new AV suystem and was considering a soundbar system but it has to support the latest formats and have rear speakers included.

3. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,259
      Have you considered the Samsung HW-N950? It sounds like it's got everything you want.

4. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +91
      Great review @Steve Withers I know it’s difficult and maybe unfair to compare but how does something like this sound against a similarly priced receiver/speaker package? I ask because I’m toying with the idea of this LG + rear speakers, the Samsung HW-N950 or a network receiver/speaker package, something along the lines of a Denon x3400 and Q Acoustics 3000 package as per the link. I know the Denon/Q pack doesn’t include Atmos/DTS:X speakers but these could be added later.

Denon AVR-X3400H AV Receiver with Q Acoustics 3000 Home Cinema Speakers

I realise that soundbars and receiver/speaker packages are aimed at different markets but in terms of looks, I’d be happy with either. I love the simplicity of a soundbar but also love the flexibility of a receiver. I think both can look tasteful in a living room if done right.

From a purely sonic point of view, can modern high end soundbars finally compete with a traditional receiver/speaker combo? It sounds like they’re getting there.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    5. avjon

avjon
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Yes, the Samsung looks great and I will hopefully get a listen shortly. I just find it strange that the cheapest AVR gets all the latest formats but soundbars seem to be missing out in so many ways.

6. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,259
      The combination of the X3400 and 3000 speakers would definitely sound better, and that's a great deal. These new soundbars offer an easy and cost-effective way to get immersive audio, but a full AVR/speaker package will always sound better, and have more connections, features etc.

7. BoothyIOW

BoothyIOW

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +62
      I have the SK9Y with the SPK8 surrounds and it is amazing in atmos but I definitely regret the lack of DTS:X and DTS-HD MA. I wonder if it would be possible to add these via firmware update? Seems like such a strange thing to not have. Most of my films are DTS.

My other bugbear is that when playing a 5.1 disc you have to enable the surrounds as the Soundbar doesn’t utilise them without making that setting change. 7.1 and Atmos automatically enable them.

Those negatives aside, the sound is amazing and certainly the best home cinema sound I’ve ever had. (But only with the rears added, without them the sound is very front heavy).

8. Zakalwe

Zakalwe
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +48
      Thanks for the review Steve. If you ignore the cost difference and the lack of support for DTS:X, if you were going to pick one for sound quality alone, would you go for the SK10Y with the SPK8 surrounds or the HW-N950?

9. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,259
      I'd get the N950. Don't forget, even with the SPK8s you don't have rear upward-firing speakers. The N950 is the only full 5.1.4 system.

10. Generalzod

Generalzod
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      With the SPK8s wireless speakers can I connect any third party speaker to the hub????

11. MrT1

MrT1
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      My situation with the W8 LG tv leaves me with a lackluster Dolby Atmos sound. I was thinking about adding the N950 system. However, there is a concern about the connections and how well the 950 would perform. I’d be interested in getting additional directions /suggestions of the viability and performance.

12. BoothyIOW

BoothyIOW

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +62
      I contacted LG (US & UK) and asked if there were any plans to add DTS-X support or a option to dim the display, and their reply was “we have no information for you at this time”.

(Un)Helpful reply to a simple request (at least for the dimming issue).