LG SJ9 Dolby Atmos Soundbar Review & Comments

Thanks, I did say that the Samsung K950 and K850 support DTS 5.1 in the review of the SJ9.

Fantastic, thanks Steve. Had one delivered to Richer Sounds to play with yesterday as was initially getting a Sonos. I was surprised how good it was so that coupled with the features and your review means I'll just buy it later! Also keeps my OCD in check as it will go nicely with my OLED E6...

The Samsung now supports dots 5.1 after it latest firmware update 3113

Dts rather auto correct

Are you sure - has LG released any information saying this is now fully supported? The SJ9 would display "DTS" on the front display prior to this week's firmware update, but I thought it was just converting the DTS core to pseudo 5.1? I'm running my SJ9 with two LG H3 rear's via MusicFlow and do get discrete surround signals - this was happening before the recent firmware upgrade...

Fantastic, thanks Steve. Had one delivered to Richer Sounds to play with yesterday as was initially getting a Sonos. I was surprised how good it was so that coupled with the features and your review means I'll just buy it later! Also keeps my OCD in check as it will go nicely with my OLED E6...

Matches nicely with the E6, as that's what I'm running it with.

@Steve Withers - worth noting that this week's firmware upgrade has also taken a step forward in resolving some of the HDMI handshake issues. My Sony UDP-X800 was playing entirely nocely with the SJ9 prior to it (it wouldn't display the X800 homescreen for more than about 30 seconds before going black, making changing the X800 settings or using the apps impossible), but this is now resolved...

I was at LG recently for training on the new OLED range and the SJ8/SJ9 - I'm pretty sure they said if you add surround speakers to the SJ9 (via music flow) then you lose Atmos capabilities. Is that something you found @Steve Withers ?

I was at LG recently for training on the new OLED range and the SJ8/SJ9 - I'm pretty sure they said if you add surround speakers to the SJ9 (via music flow) then you lose Atmos capabilities. Is that something you found @Steve Withers ?

Interesting, of the 4 Atmos titles I've played with the H3's in my setup, all have had surround sound via the rears, with the TV and X800 showing TruHD 7.1 as the audio track playing (the SJ9 displays Atmos on the front display)...

No because I didn't have any wireless rears, just the soundbar and sub. However if the soundbar is processing the rear channels for Atmos, I don't see why that would restrict using wireless rear speakers, unless it's a limitation of Music Flow. I guess if that's what LG told you in training then you can't, which is a shame.

I'm waiting for them to include full DTS support. Is it too much to ask to have DTS: X, Master Audio HD and Dolby Atmos in a ÂŁ1000 sound bar?

Also until eARC in HDMI 2.1 I feel it's a bit pointless having at Atmos soundbar. Hopefully LG include all of this next year.

Interesting, of the 4 Atmos titles I've played with the H3's in my setup, all have had surround sound via the rears, with the TV and X800 showing TruHD 7.1 as the audio track playing (the SJ9 displays Atmos on the front display)...

Thanks for that, glad to know it does work - maybe I misheard or was misinformed.

According to a post over at AVS, the SJ9 will pass DV from a source that supports it (such as the OPPO 203)...

This has dropped down to ÂŁ799 at Currys & Richer Sounds guys... Get your price matches in if you can!!! Otherwise a even better buy now...

This now makes it a lot cheaper than the Sony
How would I connect my Sky Q and my ultra hd blu ray player at the same time,with only 1 hdmi input?

Use arc control and plug sky into TV

Ok so I read something about arc being unable to do atmos, so for a proper setup would I

1. Go from my KS8000 tv to the Soundbar via arc then 2. go from my UHD player to the soundbar via the other hdmi input?

Sounds strait forward but I've not used ARC hdmi before always optical so wanted to make sure.

So uhd player into hdmi into the soundbar
Sky q into arc into the oled
Is that correct guys

My understanding is that ARC may not carry Atmos, DTS HD etc. Depends if it's Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus.

Useful post here:
Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) / Atmos over HDMI ARC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

@Aryn86 - sounds to me like that will work, although with that set up you'll only get HD audio from the UHD player, not anything running from your TV (including apps).

The streaming services I use are netflix and amazon prime which both use Dolby Digital+ so in that case they should be ok no? leaving the HD/Atmos audio to for blu rays when played through the UHD player.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom